1967 season

Padres67

Yes, for the Astros you should scroll to and select the Astrodome. To eliminate that old Classic look just turn that option off in the setup area. I can't recall precisely where that option is or what it is called but you can turn that off and then everything is as normal.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tried replaying that game today, no problems this time around. I discovered that I was having some Windows Autoupdate problems corrupting my memory. That could have been the problem. I'll let you know if it pops up again.

Oh, and we won this time with an AWESOME offensive game from the top of the order.

Bobolini,

That face on Alex Johnson is not a permanent problem. I think that is one of those results from moving too quick through the screens and not letting everything have time to load properly. That happens on various players and then the next time you start the game they will be fine. To check out Alex Johnson for certain just retart the game and at the beginning menu go to Manage Rosters / Edit Rosters and take a look at his face. It should be fine and likely next time you see him in a game he will look fine but eventually it will also happen to some other player as well.

Since slowing down my movement from screen to screen I have yet to see this occur again .......... of course that is not to say it won't !

Take Care,

Don

ok, my game seems to be much more stable and now I am thinking of changing the Datafile to MD's v3.1. Anybody have thoughts on the different datafiles. I also think I need to tweak my pitcher slider a little more. All my pitchers are studs(ERA<2.00). I appreciate any input or suggestions as to what you guys are doing. I'm currently 14-4. My team average is .265 so this is fairly realistic.

• 3 weeks later...

The La Coliseum for the 1967 is missing basically all the graphics. It's got the fences and everything, and it's got polygons for where the graphics go, but the graphics are just bland colors (black, tan, green).

Should I just download the version from the Downloads section and rename it a001day.big?

• 1 month later...

I'm still playing the 1967 Tigers. It's taken awhile, but I'm near the end now.

The Tigers clinched the AL pennant with a week to go, while the Pirates and Dodgers are going head to head the final week for the NL crown. It's looking like the Pirates will come out on top, creating a replay of the 1909 World Series.

Frank Robinson made a strong run for an unheard of back to back Triple Crown, but his BA has faded in September and it's not going to happen. Al Kaline, with his 33 homers and 87 clutch RBI is moving in on the MVP, while Earl Wilson is a lock for the Cy Young, having a 19-2 record with two starts left.

Next up will be a classic World Series in two great ballparks, Tiger Stadium and Forbes Field. A battle of the rightfielders, Kaline and Clemente, who are both having outstanding seasons.

The game has crashed on me some and I can't pin down any one reason. I get the feeling the jukebox interferes sometime, but can't say for sure. With persistence, it's been well worth it and the individual players have performed amazingly consistent with their real life counterparts.

Great job, all you creators of this mod.

I'm still running my '67 Season on and off between working on enhancements for the upcoming '64 Season.

I run a 54 game Season while totally controlling 1 Team randomly selected each season which happens to be Detroit this Season. I play each game with them and then 2 other personally selected games each day on the schedule with 4 other teams. Basically I play an early day game; midday game and night game for each day of the schedule. This works out to playing around 162 games for my complete 54 game season schedule.

This is all possible Thanks to tywiggins mod for switching teams during a dynasty.

Detroit is battling Chicago & Minnesota as the Red Sox had a horrendous start and just have never climbed back into the chase. The Yankees are surprising not too far off pace. In the National League the Cardinals are being challenged by the Pirates.

Kaline is having a stellar year in the AL as is Clemente & McCovey in the NL. Yaz is doing well in the Homer & Average categories but not driving in the runs to seriously challenge for the Triple Crown. Kaline has a real shot at the Triple Crown if he can bring his average up some.

I too have lockups (not crashes) every 15-20 games or so and I haven't pinpointed any particular cause for them as they happened with different teams in different stadiums etc... I just restart and never have any problems continuing. I view those as just Rainouts but unfortnately they most often happen in the later innings of a game.

As I only play CPU vs CPU games the players are truly performing extremely realistically as are the Teams overall standings and performances. I experience frequent low scoring / low hitting games as well as real blow outs but most often they are the 5-3; 6-2; 4-3 type games. I have seen 18-7 type games and even 16-0 games. The whole gammit of games do occur. But I have yet to see a No-Hitter --- several 1 hit shutouts but NO NO-NOs. This is after having played well over 1500 games since I started on this with MVP 2004.

I am absolutely hooked on this stuff and hope to complete a full season mod for every '60s year eventually.

I am just so appreciative to the oh so many modders that have provided me this opportunity. As I am approaching 60 years of age I can truly look forward to reliving in my later years all those wonderful memories I had as a youngster following Baseball so passionately in the late '50s through the '70s.

Man if this ain't Heaven - Iowa doesn't really exist !

I have even begun my retirement room that is centered around this game. I will even have an old baseball stadium working turnstile to enter the room with 3 authentic oldtime stadium seats in it. Many Danbury Mint Stadiums replicas; Danbury Mint Player figurines along with McFarlane figurines and many many more items all from the '60s. Baseball Playing Field carpeted floor and Baseball Stadium wallpaper with Blue Sky ceilings. Vast assortment of old Magazines; Posters; books; DVDs etc all around the room.

I am looking at what to get for the largest high quality screen to play this game on and even considering a large HDTV if I can maintain the quality of the picture during gameplay. There will be 2 other TVs in this room playing some of the massive collection of DVDs of baseball games from the '60s that I have collected over time.

My Wife has finally given in to all of this because she now knows how committed I am to it --- my kids bought into the idea long ago as now things to all to my Retirement Room are the only presents I get from them these days !!!

Life is GOOD !!!

THANKS TO ALL !

Don

Wow Don-what a lucky man. I wish I had a room like that. This game has given many of us hours of enjoyment re-living the great '60's; My favorite era as well. Thanks to you and many others we can pretend we are at the stadium watching a Koufax no hitter or a Mantle homerun. All of us will be up to see that room when it is finished-just leave the light on for us.

New Orleans is a wonderful destination City - Even today post Katrina !

I invite any of my friends from MVPMods that enjoy this Total Classics phenomena to drop by and see me if they ever venture to Nawlins' ........

I will keep the Stadium Lights on in the room and have a token ready for you to enter ----- that is what this Retirement Room is all about !!!

It Won't be Cooperstown !!! But I assure you it will be like stepping back into the '60s and onto the beautiful grassy Ball Fields of those magnificient days !!!

But absent of all the Piece, Love, Dope, Rock & Roll of those times --- at least absent to some extent !!! After all - I spent 6 years in the USMC during those years .................. so I missed a lot of that --- but not really all of IT since my brother is actually inducted in the Louisiana Music Hall of Fame which I was a small part of that Band during that time as well !!!

But B-A-S-E-B-A-L-L was always my true love and is what really fills my Heart & Head from those days !!!

I truly love this mod. Cepeda goes through hot and cold spells, Maris is utterly worthless 20 games into the season but I'm hoping he comes around. The pitching staff for the '67 Cardinals is phenomenal. Making the adjustment suggested to Briles in this thread or one of the threads, and he, Gibson and Carlton have given up something like 8 runs in their combined 9 starts. Gibby has a .25 ERA, followed closely by Nelly's .89.

Dal Maxvil is making a strong case for a Gold Glove this season.

When I look at the standings, it still is set up in the 3 division sets...yet you all are talking about winning the pennant (ala the way it used to be). Can anyone explain? After a sluggish start, the Cardinals have put together a few 4-6 game winning streaks to jump out into first place of ALL NL teams.

Stuff like classic stadiums is something I strive for in the season. I have an upcoming series with the Cubs at Wrigley and I'm trying to decide what modifications I'm going to have to make to bring alittle more accuracy to the stadium.

I play all my games, no simming. The vector the ball takes off the bat sometimes irratates me because it seems balls that should drop in hang in the air forever and linedrives into the gap are lept up and stabbed by infielders.

Hardcorelegend,

The 3 divisions issue is one that appears to be hard coded into the game and will likely remain as is which requires at least 2 teams be assigned to each division.

What I use is the MVPSavReader program to view this as a Ten Team League. In such, I view the MLB Team Stats and then sort on number of Wins in the Team pitchers section for each League. Then you see the 10 Teams listed in order of Wins or in my perspective the actual 10 Team League Standings.

Then at the conclusion of the Season I use tywiggins Playoff Creator to setup the World Series as it actually was in those years. Even when we get to '69 with 2 Divisions in each League with tywiggins Playoff Creator you will be able to play the League Championship Series followed by the World Series.

This is just one of the things we have to accept until someone cracks this problem which I truly don't ever expect to happen --- but I have been wrong about these great modders before on similar things such as primarily the ability to control more than a single team during a dynasty so who knows ?

Oh Hardcorelegend,

On behalf of Roger Maris ........ in '67 his contributions to that team was his exceptional outfield play, baserunning expoliots and his ability to move runners over ---- by '67 with his wrist problem that he blamed the Yankee organization for totally ignoring and mishandleing all his power from the earlier years was basically gone!!!

But Maris was a true value in the clubhouse as well as his solid wisdom/desire and endless effots of playing the game in all aspects on the field ---- excluding his power production due to his wrist problems.

Roger was often considered by his teammates on that team as being one of the most valuable players for them in '67. His contributions were actually a significant factor for them making it to the Series from everything I have ever read.

Don, it's the turnstile at the door that activated my "that's so cool" button.

I hadn't considered getting standings from the pitcher stats in MVPSaveReader. That's a great idea. I'd just been doing them in my head. When I saw that the Dodgers and Pirates were going head to head in a crucial last week series, I did switch over there and watch those games. Pirates, two out of three, too much hitting. Dodgers missed having Koufax.

I did hook up a spare computer to my 42-inch plasma HDTV so I could watch MLB.com games, then decided to load MVP to see how it looked. Unfortunately, this spare computer can't handle the graphics so players look like disfigured monsters, but I can tell you that aside from that, the game looks great. Go for it.

My favorite thing from playing these mods? Anytime a lefthand hitter smacks run off the facing of the third deck at Tiger Stadium. That just looks so real, just like the times I saw Cash, Pepitone, Mantle and others do it. Now all we need is a mod that shows Ted Williams taking batting practice there. Those were shows not to be missed.

I am just finishing the 1961 season and have just installed the 67 one. Did some exhibition with the 67 Yanks and like how the Mick is down rated and the overall lack of power. This is gonna be fun.. Thanks again for producing these great mods!!!

I truly love this mod. Cepeda goes through hot and cold spells, Maris is utterly worthless 20 games into the season but I'm hoping he comes around. The pitching staff for the '67 Cardinals is phenomenal. Making the adjustment suggested to Briles in this thread or one of the threads, and he, Gibson and Carlton have given up something like 8 runs in their combined 9 starts. Gibby has a .25 ERA, followed closely by Nelly's .89.

Dal Maxvil is making a strong case for a Gold Glove this season.

When I look at the standings, it still is set up in the 3 division sets...yet you all are talking about winning the pennant (ala the way it used to be). Can anyone explain? After a sluggish start, the Cardinals have put together a few 4-6 game winning streaks to jump out into first place of ALL NL teams.

Stuff like classic stadiums is something I strive for in the season. I have an upcoming series with the Cubs at Wrigley and I'm trying to decide what modifications I'm going to have to make to bring alittle more accuracy to the stadium.

I play all my games, no simming. The vector the ball takes off the bat sometimes irratates me because it seems balls that should drop in hang in the air forever and linedrives into the gap are lept up and stabbed by infielders.

I'm playing the 67 Cards and loving it. I do get the occasional crash but I save after every game. I've played through 116 games and I "play" all the games. Love the hell out of this as my players have developed personalites. Cepeda, is my big gun, he is second in the NL with 26 dingers. Leads in RBI's with 93 and is hitting .289. He was over .300 most of the year but like you say, he is prone to slumps. McCarver is steady and hitting a solid .314. Julian Javier is only hittting ariound .255 but his hits are timely. Maxvill is a steady fielder and gets to everything, has decent speed and is hitting a typical .243. He's not in for his offense. Shannon at third is my next "power" guy with 11 HR's. Not exactly like today's power standards but that's what makes this mod so great. Not everybody is putting up 30-50 HR's. Brock has been hurt and so Tolan has been playing and is hitting a respectful .295 and just hit his first HR. Curt Flood is a steady hitter and leads the NL in hitting with a .334 avg. Maris? Well, he is not hitting, 4 Hr's and .231 average but he's got a cannon for an arm and is solid defensively. Ricketts my backup catcher has been fantastic coming off the bench pinch hitting and spelling McCarver on occasion. He's hitting .295 with 4 HR and 22 RBI's.

Pictching? Absolutely dominating even though Gibson went down early (he's back) and now Carlton is on the DL. Hughes was great early and is starting to get shelled but he still is 13-8 with a 1.91 ERA. Jaster is a spunky lefty who has limited pitches but still knows how to win. His stamina is a little weak but he's effective. Gibson is back and is 5-1 with a 1.54 ERA. Briles is holding the 5th spot and requires relief fairly early due to his stamina limitations. But he's pretty good. Washburn is solid with a 12-5 record with a 2.67 ERA. Horton has been fantastic reliever, .44 ERA and 40 saves! 90% of my games are decided by 2 runs or less.

This mod is fantastic!

Bucs Draw First Blood

PITTSBURGH> Gene Alley singled home Roberto Clemente in the tenth inning, giving the Pirates a dramatic walkoff 6-5 victory over the Detroit Tigers in game one of the 1967 World Series.

Detroit's anticipated pitching dominance failed to materialize, as Cy Young winner Earl Wilson was gone after four innings, having allowed five runs. Three of those came on Willie Stargell's 325-foot homer, a fly that fell just beyond the fence at the short righfield pole at Forbes Field. Meanwhile, the Bucs' Tommie Sisk, despite giving up a Dick McAuliffe homerun to start the game, quieted the Tiger bats through seven.

The roof caved in on Sisk in the eighth, however, as a bases loaded double by Norm Cash scored all three runners to tie the game at five. Cash, who had four RBIs for the game, had also homered earlier.

The much ballyhooed meeting of the respective MVPs in their leagues, Al Kaline and Clemente, met expectations. Kaline had two hits and a walk, scoring twice, while the NL Triple Crown winner Clemente reached base three times, on two walks and his leadoff double in the tenth, which preceded Alley's late game heroics.

Game two is scheduled for today at Forbes Field. Bob Veale takes the hill for the Pirates, while the Tigers have yet to decide between 14 game winner Mickey Lolich or righthander Denny McLain.

Hey Guys,

It is really satisfying to hear that each of you are enjoying this Mod. That, of course, is why we do these extremely time consuming things and we certainly enjoy hearing about some of your individual results & enjoyment. But let it fully be known that we throughly enjoy these mods ourselves.

As we have learnt over time each individual will likely see different results. The results are heavily effected by an individuals playing skills, datafile he is using, sliders he has set, mode of play he uses etc etc.

There are things we are somewhat limited in perfecting due to the internal workings of the MVP 2005 engine. Which by the way I think is a superb baseball engine.

I have (in general terms) noticed a distinct difference in how results occur in simulated games versus played games. Simulated game results also differ somewhat depending on if one simulates an entire season all at once, versus simulating games on only a daily basis.

Most of the differences occur relative to pitching results more so than hitting results and inparticular to E.R.As / # of Walks allowed & Strikeouts recorded. Hitting results seem to hold more true to form than do Pitching stats across the entire spectrum.

Certainly the game engine is built more toward today's pitching philosophies than those that were practiced in the '50s; '60s and early '70s when starters would go much further into games than is the norm today.

Due to these factors we often have to comprise realistic simulation results for better game play results. Which is what we typically do.

In my testing during this '67 mod I had noticed that way too many players were being thrown out at home. Of course this again is impacted a great deal by the datafile/sliders one uses. So to compensate for this I used my sliders to reduce the Outfielders throwing arm strengths and accuracies along with their speed to the ball (i.e. range). I also adjusted upward base runners speed slightly. This did reduce the Thrown Out at Home results but also greatly reduced the Outfield PutOuts at 2nd & 3rd to such a rate that they were almost non existent. That is a good example of how we succeeded in reducing the Outs at Home which aided in more realistic ERAs for the pitchers but had to sacrifice things like Outfield PutOuts at 2nd and 3rd which we truly enjoy seeing occassionally. Adjusting the Manager's tendency to run aggressively also helped us getting more realistic Pitching Stats.

Setting the Bunting Ability Sliders extremely high along with the Errors Sliders extremely high also helped.

All this said we will continue to try our best to produce mods that realistically reflect those particular times/players in baseball but we are also well aware that some people will get exceptional realism like we do with how we play while others will likely be a bit dissappointed.

Bottomline is the more input we get from you guys that use these mods the better we can get at improving these already release mods and future to-come mods but we fully acknowledge we will never get it good enough to satisfy everybody.

Thanks Again,

Don

BTW - Bobolini -- Dick Hughes was an oversight when we placed him in the 5th Starting spot we should have up'ed his stamina by +16 or else we should have moved him back to a relievers role.

Archived