Kgbaseball's Roster Thread

kgbaseball

When I asked KG why Taveras had such a high Contact rating, he said it was based on the 3-year splits--which means batting average. So, if I don't know what Contact means, or what it's based on, then KG is in the same boat with me.

And you guys are saying batting average does not solely mean Contact--very interesting. When people argue Contact ratings, they refer to batting average. When people argue Power ratings, they refer to home runs. But, you guys say that's all wrong. Well, I am busy "adjusting" the roster so I will bow out for tonight.

Well, obviously, in-game, the most direct and obvious way to lower someone's batting average is to drop their contact numbers.

But the OTHER way is to remove their plate discipline, and also to adjust their liklihood of swinging-and-missing at the various pitches, which can be edited in-game as well. This is how you try to strike a more realistic balance.

As for power - obviously this is the only real way to alter someone's homer numbers, unless there is a way to alter the flyball/groundball tendency of a hitter, which at the moment (since I don't have MVPedit open) - I don't recall if there is or not.

:)

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I asked KG why Taveras had such a high Contact rating, he said it was based on the 3-year splits--which means batting average.

False.

This is where your problem lies.

You think splits only refer to the very basic statistical numbers. If you go to a site as simple as baseball-reference.com and click on '2008 Season Splits', you will find all kinds of more advanced metrics that better evaluate a player.

Another example:

Albert Pujols hit .331 in 2006. He struck out 50 times in 535 at-bats (9%). His BABIP was .292 while his linedrive rate was 18.0%.

Albert Pujols hit .327 in 2007. He struck out 58 times in 565 at-bats (10 %). His BABIP was .317 and his Linedrive rate was 18.6%.

Looking at those two years, you'll see that in 2006, while Pujols batting average was only 4 points higher, he was a MUCH better hitter in 2006 contact wise. His linedrive rate stayed the same. One year, he hit 49 homeruns, the next year 32. The difference was his Batted Balls In Play average. In a season he hit nearly 50 homeruns, he was extremely "unlucky" as a hitter.

If you looked at the two years, you'd think Pujols wasn't much different contact wise between the two years, when in fact, 2006 he was a better contact hitter...just contact right at people.

What's false??? I said 3-year splits and that's false???

Fukudome does not have any splits in the majors except for this year--and this year shows him batting .259 against righties with a contact rating of 86 against righties. Ichiro has already shown us what he can do and has 3-year splits in the majors to prove it.

What's false??? I said 3-year splits and that's false???

Fukudome does not have any splits in the majors except for this year--and this year shows him batting .259 against righties with a contact rating of 86 against righties. Ichiro has already shown us what he can do and has 3-year splits in the majors to prove it.

you need to read, re-read, and re-read again what these guys are posting. you're missing the point here completely.

i stand by my statement. again, you continue to show that you're completely missing the point of what they're saying. i've read it all. believe me. they say one thing, and you argue back against another. makes no sense. can't discuss things if you're speaking different languages.

i stand by my statement. again, you continue to show that you're completely missing the point of what they're saying. i've read it all. believe me. they say one thing, and you argue back against another. makes no sense. can't discuss things if you're speaking different languages.

Maybe it's because the explanation for Fukudome is beyond understanding. Simple question: How is it Fukudome is rated 86 for contact against righties?

Facts:

1. This season is almost over and he's hitting .259 against righties.

2. He has no stats for majors except this year.

3. He has already been questioned in Chicago for his presence in the lineup.

4. So far, Fukudome has been a bomb.

Just my opinion: He is 31 years old and not a young prospect--which also makes me consider him Average instead of Lots. They already have questioned his presence in the lineup by fans in Chicago:

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/article.j...t=.jsp&c_id=chc

His Fantasy Comparison is rather poor: http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=493120

What exactly is it I don't understand???

you want me to explain it again for you so that you can completely miss it again? the explanation wasn't beyond understanding. but for some reason, you're not getting it. so either read it again and hope you actually pick up what they're trying to say, or just forget about it because you've made your point already.

you want me to explain it again for you so that you can completely miss it again? the explanation wasn't beyond understanding. but for some reason, you're not getting it. so either read it again and hope you actually pick up what they're trying to say, or just forget about it because you've made your point already.

Why don't you address my points instead of this evasive argument? Let's stick to the facts and cut out the fat.

Why don't you address my points instead of this evasive argument? Let's stick to the facts and cut out the fat.

Alright, listen up you dolt, this will be the last time I say it.

BATTING AVERAGE DOES NOT EQUAL CONTACT RATING.

Contact rating is more in line with how often a player makes contact (gee, is that what 'contact' means!?!)

All batting average means is how often a player records a hit safely in at-bats.

In 271 of Fukudome's 343 at-bats, he has made contact and put the ball in play. That comes out to 79%. If you want to be simplistic about it, that is a contact rating of 79. I don't know when kg set the contact ratings for players and I don't really care. However, 86 isn't out of the realm of possibilities.

Now it's your turn to listen up dolt. KG said the following a few pages ago:

"Gee, Cavicchi, I can't get anything past you!

But wait a minute, my 2008 ratings are based off the 3 year splits from 05-07, in which Taveras batted .300 against RHP!"

So, if contact is not based on batting average--you need to discuss that issue with KG. :roll:

I don't need to discuss anything with KG. I'm fine with his explanations. I know how much work and in-depth research he puts into his rosters as a part-time hobby.

You are the one that can't seem to figure anything out for yourself.

What a joke. I will leave this useless conversation and let others judge for themselves.

Getting back to the purpose of this thread, questions and comments :)

Ryan Howard hit 7 homers (against righties) more than Adam Dunn during 2005-2007 and the difference of power rating is 8 points: Howard has 100 and Dunn has 92 (against righties). I don't see why Howard should be that much higher than Dunn--7 homers over 3 years does not seem like a significant factor to me.

Slugging % 2005-07:

Dunn: 540, 490, 554

Howard: 567, 659, 584

Case closed.

Thanks for the explanation. 2005-2007 3-year splits for A-Rod and Hafner against righties:

A-Rod-- 109 homers and .604 Slugging percentage.

Hafner--68 homers and .578 Slugging percentage.

Both have Power rating of 91 against righties. Shouldn't A-Rod have a higher power rating than Hafner?

Thanks for the explanation. 2005-2007 3-year splits for A-Rod and Hafner against righties:

Both have Power rating of 91 against righties. Shouldn't A-Rod have a higher power rating than Hafner?

Dude.

Seriously?

If you have such a problem w/ KG's ratings - just don't ever use his roster again.

Go make your own or something, since you seem convinced you know so much better than him how players should be rated.

Seriously - you are annoying the ever-living crap out of EVERYONE in here, with your taking issue with so many ratings, and then being completely unable to follow a simple conversation.

It honestly seems to me that you were being intentionally dense during that last "discussion" - at least I hope you were - because if you weren't, you might need to brush up on your reading comprehension skills.

Just sayin'.

I don't know why you've deemed it neccessary to come in here and nitpick everything about KG's roster - but I am aware that KG enjoys comments and constructive critisism - but you have officially gone way beyond that now.

kg, while you're at, please explain to me every other player on the roster.

:lmao:

What the?!!? Why does Albert Pujols have 94 power versus lefties, it should be 95 because if you do the math it's 94.6 and rounding should make that 95! WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH YOU, KG??? THESE ROSTERS SUCK!

:roll:

I have to agree that this makes no sense, and I looked at the splits on baseball ref, just to make sense of it. Other than Arod having a few less doubles between 05 and 07, then hes been a better power hitter all around and theres no reason why he does not have a 100 pwr rating.

I dig the rosters but there are many inconsistencies in it. Like ramon castro with 78 power? what lol

O wells just gota fix it ourselves. Plus developer ratings are always by far worse in baseball games.

I mean, I've made tweaks to the rosters in the past on small things like speed for Ryan Ludwick but I didn't come in here and DEMAND that kg show his work as to how he calculated Ryan Ludwick's speed!!!1!

Wait.

You mean out of the hundeds and hundreds of players in the roster, you didn't demand perfection on the 5 or 6 you just so happen to pay the closest attention to???

You just went about your business and made your own personal tweaks yourself???

Unheard of!

:wink: