December 7th

Yankee4Life

Some pictures from around the Arizona Memorial, March, 2011.

The entrance to the Arizona Memorial National Park.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Approaching the Memorial via boat. Ford Island is in the background.

This is the part of the ship where oil still rises to the surface to this day.

Another part of the sunken Arizona that is photographed a lot. In the background of this picture is Pearl City.

I learned something about the Arizona today while doing some reading on it. Did you know that the USS Arizona was in a James Cagney movie? It's a movie called Here Comes The Navy and it was made in 1934. I've never seen it but if Turner Classic Movies ever aired it I'd tune in. This is about the only chance we'd get to see a movie this old on TV and that's on TCM. Old stuff doesn't make it on the air that much unless it's The Wizard of Oz or something like that.

i was off, but im not sure 150 is right, i thinks its 5 hours difference, if its five and the attack was 750 there time, doesn't that put it at 1250 eastern time. i think the confusion comes from partly from when did we between using daylight and standard time. i dont if was started before then or after then. haw, is also is on standard time year round, so i don't what the time time would have been. assuming standard that the time of year, but not sure what the time difference is when today we shift and they don't.

• 1 year later...

Here's a little known fact that you may or may not know. At Hickam Field, the Air Force base at Pearl Harbor, the buildings that were shot at by the Japanese planes still have the bullet marks on them. They've never been repaired.

I saw a lot of that in Berlin, Germany, too. People voluntarily chose not to 'erase' the memories. Some things should never be forgotten.

Also in Dresden, Germany as well, my dad tells me they have pictures of the city burning after the allied saturation bombings (some of which occurred as a punishment after the war was over), in the most unexpected places, such as public toilets, auto shops and some other places where otherwise you woudln't expect to see such pictures.