WIP - Every White Sox Uniform Ever

fizzjob

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally managed to fix something that's been bugging me since I started this...

I had been using the late 70s "CHICAGO" script for the road blues, which I knew wasn't really right, but I didn't have anything else to work with, until I stumbled across a high-res scan of an old Ed Walsh baseball card on the Library Of Congress site...

Here's how the road script looks after fixing it:

fixedfontnb8.jpg

Compare it to an actual photo of the unis from the same period confirms that it's darn near perfect:

s055713.jpg

...so I fixed all the uniforms I've done up until this point to reflect that. I also discovered that the epilettes on the jerseys were really a "W" and an "S", and I've fixed those, too.

• 6 months later...

Alright, hot (or at least comfortably warm) on the heels of releasing the first 20 years...

1921 Home, which are used unchanged (I think) through 1928:

19211928homeri3.jpg

The 1920 roads (no preview, but they're in the first download pack) get used through 1924. In 1925, they brought out this doozy:

1925roadpo5.jpg

That, mercifully, only lasted for one year. 1926 Road:

1926roadtv4.jpg

More to come, eventually.

1930-31 Home:

1931homefrontzw1.jpg1931homebackby3.jpg

1930-31 Road:

1931roadfrontqf8.jpg1931roadbackyu0.jpg

Historically speaking, I don't think they used uniform numbers until 1931, but I'm not positive about that. Also, I haven't found any good shots of the backs of these, so the number font and style are really just guesses, but I'm trying to keep them consisent with other jersey elements. Also, the Sox uniform slots go right from the deadball era to the 70s, so a couple of models (baggy pants with jersey numbers, in particular) aren't available to them. These preview pics (and it'll be like that for a while) are actually using the Cardinals' uni slots, but I'm not sure what can be done about that in the game, but, well, there you go.

1932 brought about a near-complete revamp, featuring a unique logo and a truly bizarre one-year wonder alternate featuring a Sox script made from two horseshoes, a baseball and two crossed bats. I'm not sure what they were thinking here, but...

1932homeqp7.jpg1932roadgc8.jpg1932alternatean6.jpg

It's not particularly obvious, but the road uniform features blue belt loops, which I can't say I've ever seen on any other uniforms...

It's not particularly obvious, but the road uniform features blue belt loops, which I can't say I've ever seen on any other uniforms...

Here's a phillies uni from 1948 where the only real difference between the normal and the alternate is the blue belt loops:

nl_1948_philadelphia.gif

• 4 weeks later...

...and back to it.

The 1936 home set was a more back-to-basics look, with a unique "SOX" chest logo:

1936homezi5.jpg

...in 1937, they introduced a zipper-front road, and 1938 saw a zipper-front home uniform, otherwise they're the same:

1937roadkn5.jpg1938homeid1.jpg

1939 saw a complete redesign with all sorts of nifty piping:

1939homevn3.jpg1939roadsy6.jpg

Aside from some variations with sleeve patches, these stayed the same through 1944, with the exception of a one-year home style in 1942. This would be the last time "White Sox" would appear in script on the home uniforms until 1987:

1942homemc2.jpg

...here's a detail shot of the sleeve patch that appears in 1942 and is worn all the way through 1948. Health!

1942roadtm6.jpg

• 1 month later...

1945 - the 2 main differences are the red-only trim, and the extra-wide piping on the jersey:

1945homesu4.jpg1945roadmn3.jpg

1946, which featured a slightly smaller "SOX" logo on the home uniforms, as well as blue & red trimmed stirrups. The red "C" on the road caps also migrated to the home caps. The larger SOX monogram apparently also appeared this year, but I didn't bother taking a shot of it.

1946homesmallsoxca3.jpg

1949 featured a complete re-design, using the Old English-style SOX monogram that would persist all the way until the mid 1970's:

1949homewu0.jpg1949roadeu3.jpg

In 1951, the Sox changed their color scheme to black & red, which wound up being one of their most iconic and recognizeable looks ever. Note the zipper front, which persisted for a few years with this style. The 1951 set also featured an AL 50th Anniversary patch.

1951homeyb0.jpg1951roadhn1.jpg

1952 added some red trim to the roads, and also began the annual changing of the sock striping pattern:

1952roadfr0.jpg

You're welcome!

...as I mentioned, the red-trimmed roads only lasted for a couple of years. After that, it was just changing sock stripes.

1953:

1953homenf9.jpg

1954:

1954roadnn3.jpg

1955-1958:

19551958homegf0.jpg

1959:

1959roadxm7.jpg

They broke out a special white sock for the World Series that year, too:

1959worldserieshomeie1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

...alright, back to it. In 1960, the uniforms remained the same with the exception of a Bill Veeck innovation - player names on the backs of the jerseys. So...I included them in the font file, but there's no way of tricking the game into displaying it, so it's kind of useless. But it's there.

In 1962, the sock stripes changed again:

19621963roadhg2.jpg

In 1964, the color palette changed from black & red to blue, including a powder-blue road uniform, a by-product of the popularity of color TV. The uniforms, aside from the color scheme, weren't really all that different from the '50s uniforms, however.

19641966homeih3.jpg19641966roadej8.jpg

In 1967, the Sox ditched the plain "CHICAGO" script on the road for one incorporating the entire team name. It would be worn, in one version or another, through 1975.

1967roadvg1.jpg

In the real world, the home jerseys stayed the same, with the exception of adding a number to the front, opposite the SOX logo - the same placement as they have today. The roads also featured front numbers, blue trimmed in white (again, similar to the style worn today), which the uniform slot I'm using for the previews doesn't have.

The 1969 set are the same with a sleeve patch celebrating Illinois' centennial.

Wonderful job yet again. I am just amazed at the level at which you modders are updating the uniforms for the game. My only wish would be for you to consider other teams, but I am sure you are already busy as it is. Anyway, keep up the great work. Take care.

Archived