WIP - Every White Sox Uniform Ever

fizzjob

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In 1969, the Sox ditched the powder blue, but did some other odd things. The home set featured piping instead of pinstripes, and the road jersey featured white script (and numbering) with blue trim - even on the back. Note the socks, with white stirrups over a pair of blue sanitaries, kind of the opposite of what they'd done previously. Again, the jersey slots don't show the front numbering these uniforms had. 1970's set was the same, only without the MLB patch on the sleeve.

1969homeft9.jpg1969roadfv6.jpg

1971 saw a drastic shift, bringing in the (in)famous red & baby blue set. These were worn, unchanged, through 1975. I know I had released this set way back when, but these are intended for a throwback player model, whereas my earlier set were meant for a "modern-era" slot. Not the logo on the stirrups. The roads, in real life, featured sleeve numbers in lieu of a jersey patch:

19711975homeqp6.jpg19711975roadgl1.jpg

Started knocking out the late 70's pajama era (sorry, no shorts). They're basically the same as the 1978 set I already released, although I'm tweaking the blue pants shade, as it seems a bit too bright compared to the jerseys. The only real differences between 1976 and 1981 are the sock stripes. The Sox wore a mix & match set, somewhat randomly choosing navy jerseys and pants...I'm not going to to screen shots of every permutation, though.

White with white pants:

19761977home1se8.jpg

They also had a white cap, which never (to my knowledge) actually made it on the field, but is certainly well documented, so I know it's real.

1976alternatecapeo0.jpg7d991if7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

While the pajama-era uniforms of the late '70s (and early '80s) and the "Winning Ugly" era SOX jerseys have both been treated with a certain amount of disdain - and, let's face it, horizontal stripes did not flatter Greg Luzinski - it could have been worse. So, so much worse.

When the Sox switched jerseys in 1982, the uniform came as the indirect result of an open contest, where the Sox invited fans to design their own jerseys. I base the following horror show on some of the prototypes that were submitted and actually manufactured and modeled on-field!

prototype1xz8.jpgprototype2mv8.jpg

prototype3xv3.jpgprototype4kn4.jpg

prototype5me3.jpgprototype6ke8.jpg

That's right, somebody went with teal and orange (with a bit of pinkish-red thrown in), and somebody went so far as to put horizontal stripes ON THE PANTS. My eyes, my eyes!

And just to prove I'm not bat-**** insane:

whitesox80sdemounizx4.jpg

In particular, I like how the guy on the left looks kinda like Jeff Reardon, and they all appear to be wearing whatever gym shoes they had lying around.

Truly amazing! Very impressive about how you implemented it. Great job yet again.
Thanks! Unfortunately, I had to sacrifice the sleeve stripes on the LLOD since it just applies one sleeve to both arms there. Ah, well.

Anyhow, stepping back a bit, I took a couple screenshots of the 1979-81 sets, to illustrate a couple other sock stripe patterns:

19791980road1du1.jpg1981home1nb7.jpg

...and then, back to the regular progression. 1982 saw one of the Sox better-known (or infamous, if you're that kind of person) uniform sets ever debut. The main jerseys remained the same until they were ditched after the 1986 season.

I speak, of course, of these:

1982homepx7.jpg

...I have a mesh-backed adjustable one of those hats which is probably older than a lot of you people. ;)

The Sox wore sleeve patches in 1983 (in honor of the All-Star Game at Comiskey Park), 1984 (in memory of coaches Charlie Lau and Loren Babe), and 1985 (in celebration of Comiskey Park's 75th Anniversary):

1983homeoq8.jpg1984roadft8.jpg1985roadsi7.jpg

Sadly, the 6/46 patch design is something of a guestimate, since I haven't found a really clear shot of the real deal.

You just keep soldiering on... and I am most appreciative.

Your work has been amazing. When you first talked about EVERY WS Uni ever, I thought there was no way it would happen...

...and now look at all the progress. Amazing.

Its not just about the perseverance; the quality of every one of these uniforms has been spectacular. I am actually quite proud of following in his footsteps in regards to these types of uniform packs.

Another thing pioneered by the Sox was the concept of having a "Turn Back The Clock" game. On July 11, 1990, the Sox wore replicas of their 1917 home set. Bear in mind these were intended as modern-cut jerseys based on the 1917 set - "made of current cloth but along the lines of bygone days," claimed the game program.

turnback4mr7.jpg

Mind you, they went the extra mile for that game - general admission tickets were only 50 cents, the famous exploding scoreboard was turned off in favor of a specially-built manually-operated scoreboard, lineups were introduced by a guy with a megaphone instead of using the PA system, even Nancy Faust's organ was replaced by Nancy Faust's accordion.

The groundskeepers also got in on the act!

turnback1xi0.jpg

And so...

1990tbtclq9.jpg

• 2 months later...

Eh. I'm in one of my periodic "not into it" phases. I actually have the jerseys done up into the early '90s, so aside from dealing with strange variants, it's almost done. Just gotta get off my duff and package stuff up.

Ultimately, I've been spending a lot of my free time playing with Ubuntu (see here about that), and just haven't done any modding to speak of lately.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived