Trevor Hoffman

John Wettland

John Franco

Closer

Mariano Rivera

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the question that needs to be ask, are we going with best player of the decade or should you look at the 10 years in the decade and find who had the best season per position in one of those 10 years.

What I mean is, for a RF and 1B 1998 Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa are going to be tops. With that, you could put together their ratings based on that season. Likewise, Matt Williams 1994 would be the best for a 3rd basemen in the decade. Ken Griffey Jr. 1997 for the CF, and 1997 for Mike Piazza at catcher.

2000-2006 C Rodriguez 1B pujols(???) 2B biggio(???) 3B rodriguez SS jeter

LF Bonds CF Hunter RF Ichiro

Starters

R.Johnson

Clemens

Schilling

Schmidt

???

Closer

Rivera or Hoffman

Jeter may be on the list if you are going off of just hitters, but A-Rod is not only a better hitter than Jeter, he is a much much better shortstop. A-Rod should be at short.

As for Hunter, a handful of guys are better defensively than him, and many, many guys are better hitters than him. He plays deep to rob homers, but countless balls fall in front of him. He won the last two gold gloves on reputation alone, and he doesn't belong anywhere near this list.

2000-2006

C Ivan Rodriguez

1B Albert Pujols

2B Jeff Kent

3B Scott Rolen

SS Alex Rodriguez

LF Barry Bonds

CF Jim Edmonds

RF Ichiro

Starting Pitching

Johan Santana

Randy Johnson

Curt Schilling

Chris Carpenter

Roger Clemens

Bullpen

Roy Oswalt

Andy Pettitte

John Smoltz

Billy Wagner

Closer

Eric Gagne

You can fill out the bench and bullpen the rest of the way however you like.

Jeter may be on the list if you are going off of just hitters, but A-Rod is not only a better hitter than Jeter, he is a much much better shortstop. A-Rod should be at short.

As for Hunter, a handful of guys are better defensively than him, and many, many guys are better hitters than him. He plays deep to rob homers, but countless balls fall in front of him. He won the last two gold gloves on reputation alone, and he doesn't belong anywhere near this list.

A-Rod a better shortstop? Dude, are you smoking crack? Jeter pattened the "Jeterian" play, and here's a pic of it:

derek_jeter15.jpg

And how about this:

jeter.jpg

Although the bottom one is from 2004, it dosn't and shouldn't matter. Ok, I can see that he was a better hitter in the 1990's, but a fielder? Absolutely not.

2000-2006

C Ivan Rodriguez

1B Albert Pujols

2B Jeff Kent

3B Scott Rolen

SS Alex Rodriguez

LF Barry Bonds

CF Jim Edmonds

RF Ichiro

Starting Pitching

Johan Santana

Randy Johnson

Curt Schilling

Chris Carpenter

Roger Clemens

Bullpen

Roy Oswalt

Andy Pettitte

John Smoltz

Billy Wagner

Closer

Eric Gagne

Gagne was good, but Mo is still much better. I know that Gagne had the 84 game thing, but almost any MLB manager would take Mo anyday. And 2 of the 4 RP's you listed are starters. Chris Carpenter? What about Zito? And Edmuonds as CF? I think Torre Hunter is better. Jeff Kent as 2B, I thought thst Sorriano was better, but I may be wrong, and A-Rod is a better 3B than SS IMO, and Jeter as SS.

FigthingBillini wrote

superciuc wrote:

2000-2006 C Rodriguez 1B pujols(???) 2B biggio(???) 3B rodriguez SS jeter

LF Bonds CF Hunter RF Ichiro

Starters

R.Johnson

Clemens

Schilling

Schmidt

???

Closer

Rivera or Hoffman

if you see rodriguez in the last 3 years is not the great defensive player he was,he's not fast anymore and i think that jeter is a better SS today.

as for hitting you can see that rodriguez is a great power player and jeter is a contact guy but in the 2005 and 2006 was better then Arod at the plate

Medric822 wrote

HardcoreLegend wrote:

2000-2006

C Ivan Rodriguez

1B Albert Pujols

2B Jeff Kent

3B Scott Rolen

SS Alex Rodriguez

LF Barry Bonds

CF Jim Edmonds

RF Ichiro

Starting Pitching

Johan Santana

Randy Johnson

Curt Schilling

Chris Carpenter

Roger Clemens

Bullpen

Roy Oswalt

Andy Pettitte

John Smoltz

Billy Wagner

Closer

Eric Gagne

Gagne was good, but Mo is still much better. I know that Gagne had the 84 game thing, but almost any MLB manager would take Mo anyday. And 2 of the 4 RP's you listed are starters. Chris Carpenter? What about Zito? And Edmuonds as CF? I think Torre Hunter is better. Jeff Kent as 2B, I thought thst Sorriano was better, but I may be wrong, and A-Rod is a better 3B than SS IMO, and Jeter as SS.

Carpenter?where's zito or J.schmidt.I don't like rolen at 3B.Edmonds at center is a good idea because is a good hitter and a good defensive player

Off-topic:Medric, do you know how to spell players names?

Name a better offensive/defensive 3rd basemen during the 00s that has been better than Scott Rolen? 6 out of the 7 seasons this decade, he has won a Gold Glove. Who are you going to put at 3rd? Eric Chavez (possibly, Rolen is better offensively I believe), Mike Lowell (Rolen is better).

Alex Rodriguez isn't a 3rd basemen. His best seasons this decade came as a shortstop, a position he was the best in the league at. Only through Jeter's vanity is an inferior SS holding the position in New York.

As far as Carpenter, Zito had a brilliant 2002 season, but will never be that pitcher again. Chris Carpenter, over the last 3 seasons, has been the best pitcher in the National League. Since you are using such a small sample size (7 seasons) if you are the best pitcher in your league for half of that time (ala Sandy Koufax) you've got as good a claim to being considered one of the best of that decade.

The Cardinals, statistically since 2001 have been the more awarded and most successful team in baseball. Having 4 players from their team on the 'Decade' team isn't a case of homerism, it's a case of actually looking at baseball-reference, etc.

Hardcore legend wrote:

Name a better offensive/defensive 3rd basemen during the 00s that has been better than Scott Rolen? 6 out of the 7 seasons this decade, he has won a Gold Glove. Who are you going to put at 3rd? Eric Chavez (possibly, Rolen is better offensively I believe), Mike Lowell (Rolen is better).

Alex Rodriguez isn't a 3rd basemen. His best seasons this decade came as a shortstop, a position he was the best in the league at. Only through Jeter's vanity is an inferior SS holding the position in New York.

As far as Carpenter, Zito had a brilliant 2002 season, but will never be that pitcher again. Chris Carpenter, over the last 3 seasons, has been the best pitcher in the National League. Since you are using such a small sample size (7 seasons) if you are the best pitcher in your league for half of that time (ala Sandy Koufax) you've got as good a claim to being considered one of the best of that decade.

The Cardinals, statistically since 2001 have been the more awarded and most successful team in baseball. Having 4 players from their team on the 'Decade' team isn't a case of homerism, it's a case of actually looking at baseball-reference, etc.

on Carpenter you're right but take out Randy,Schilling or Clemens and put in Zito.

he never was on the DL and in this 6 years he had a very low ERA with more then 100 win and 1000 Ks

A-Rod had a bad defensive season last year, but other than that, he's not that bad there. When had A-Rod ever made plays that Jeter seems to make almost every week?

Oh, I'm sorry, I spelt one name wrong. I didn't mean for the world to end.

...he never was on the DL and in this 6 years he had a very low ERA with more then 100 win and 1000 Ks

I already mentioned that before. And also, learn to click on the "Quote" button on the upper right of each post, otherwais you look like a copy cat or a shadow.

A-Rod had a bad defensive season last year, but other than that, he's not that bad there. When had A-Rod ever made plays that Jeter seems to make almost every week?

Alex Rodriguez has never hit a playoff game winning HR either, but that doesn't make Derek Jeter a better hitter than him.

jeter can make great defensive plays like pirate can make a stadium.the best thing is that he makes that plays way too easy

medric822 wrote:

superciuc wrote:

Oh, I'm sorry, I spelt one name wrong. I didn't mean for the world to end.

3 names wrong.you can't count too?

medric822 wrote

superciuc wrote:

...he never was on the DL and in this 6 years he had a very low ERA with more then 100 win and 1000 Ks

I already mentioned that before. And also, learn to click on the "Quote" button on the upper right of each post, otherwais you look like a copy cat or a shadow.

sorry my bad i forget it

A-Rod a better shortstop? Dude, are you smoking crack? Jeter pattened the "Jeterian" play, and here's a pic of it:

derek_jeter15.jpg

And how about this:

jeter.jpg

Although the bottom one is from 2004, it dosn't and shouldn't matter. Ok, I can see that he was a better hitter in the 1990's, but a fielder? Absolutely not.

Ah, yes. The leaping throw. So what? Better shortstops are there, with their feet planted, making that same play look less spectactular. It isn't about Jeter not being the best SS on his team (and he isn't), he isn't even in the top half of baseball defensively. You might not see it because you are a Yankees fan. ESPN does nothing but kiss his butt while he makes routine plays look spectacular. The fact remains, he is a defensive liability. There are many, many SS today better than him. That doesn't take anything away from him as a hitter, but giving him a gold glove is like giving David Wells an award for fitness or giving Bonds a man of the year award. Anyone claming his is good defensively is watching through these: YANKEES.jpg

figthingbillini wrote:

Ah, yes. The leaping throw. So what? Better shortstops are there, with their feet planted, making that same play look less spectactular. It isn't about Jeter not being the best SS on his team (and he isn't), he isn't even in the top half of baseball defensively. You might not see it because you are a Yankees fan. ESPN does nothing but kiss his butt while he makes routine plays look spectacular. The fact remains, he is a defensive liability. There are many, many SS today better than him. That doesn't take anything away from him as a hitter, but giving him a gold glove is like giving David Wells an award for fitness or giving Bonds a man of the year award.

did you see yankees games this year?I think not.jeter made great plays all the season.Another thing is that he is a great captain that put team chemistry up.Arod made 1-2 great diving stops

did you see yankees games this year?I think not.jeter made great plays all the season.Another thing is that he is a great captain that put team chemistry up.Arod made 1-2 great diving stops

He may be a good captain but he did not "put team chemistry up." (If that was the case why are there so many articles about this so-called bout between Jeter and A-Rod?)

Players like Paul O'Neal and Tino Martinez defined team chemistry and put the team in front of them all the time.

Besides, if A-Rod were still playing SS, in my opinion he is would be a much better SS than Jeter. Don't get me wrong. I really do like Jeter - his gameplay and his clutch hits and what not, but defensively if A-Rod and Jeter were both playing SS, I would pick A-Rod as my defensive player.

Yes, I saw the Yankees play several times. That is just the thing. Jeter might make a few plays that look spectacular, but very few of them are. Great defenders make those plays look routine. If Jeter gets a bad read on a ball, then recovers late, and has to do a leaping throw to get it there one time, that isn't a great play. He has very poor range, which is why he makes so many plays look spectacular.

As for A-Rod, he was the best SS in baseball when he played there. He put on weight (muscle) since he moved to third, but if he were to move back to SS and lose that weight, he would still be light years ahead of Jeter defensively.

Ok, you would pick him to play SS for 3 reasons-

1) He had more errors than ever last year.

2) Your somking crack

3) Your a Red Sux fan

And FightingBillini, you said you saw several games, where as we saw most/all of them. Jeter is a much better defensive shortstop than A-Rod. Alot of A-Rods errors came on balls that he would still get if he was at short. The only advantage A-Rod has over Jeter is the longball. All those times that Jeter makes those throws to first like that, is because he's in the outfield, where most SS wouldn't reach unless it was to catch a pop-up. If he has poor range, then how can he throw out runners from the outfield grass?

In the 2000's:

Alex Rodriguez (as a SS): 2 Gold Gloves avg: 11.5 errors 252 putouts 456 Assists 114 Double Plays

197 HRs 527 RBIs 1.015 OPS (4 seasons)

Derek Jeter: 3 Gold Gloves avg: 13.5 errors 225 putouts 366 Assists 76 Double Plays

120 HRs 519 RBIs .850 OPS (7 seasons)

Alex Rodriguez

-1 Gold Glove -2 errors +27 putouts +90 Assists +38 Double plays

+ 77 HRs + 8 RBIs + .165 OPS -3 Seasons

over Derek Jeter

Alex Rodriguez has proven to be a better SS when given the chance. To continue to further this belief that Jeter is better shows a lack of acceptance towards statistical evidence and more towards 'personal preference'.

2) Your somking crack

3) Your a Red Sux fan

I guess this is directed at me. So, here it goes.

(1) He equaled his record for the most number of errors in a season last year in a position that is NOT NATURALLY HIS. He is SS by trade.

And here are some numbers to throw at you. Both A-Rod and Jeter played their first full season in 1996.

Fielding stats until the year 2003 (last year A-Rod played SS).

A-Rod - fielding percentage - .979

Jeter - fielding percentrage - .974

Jeter committed 130 errors while A-Rod committed 117 errors. During the span of 8 years, A-Rod won two gold gloves while Jeter won 0. When A-Rod moved away from the SS position, Jeter started winning and has now won 3 in a row. Same with A-Rod. When Vizquel moved from the AL to NL, A-Rod nabbed two gold gloves. And by the way, this I will say - Vizquel is better SS than A-Rod.

For your second point (2) - That was completely uncalled for. We are just having a debate here. There is no need to attack someone verbally just because there is a difference of opinion.

third point (3) - I maybe a Red Sox fan but I am also a Baseball fan, and being a Red Sox fan does not force me to make biased decisions/comments. Like I said before, I am a Red Sox and I am also someone who idealized Jeter during my high school years and am a big fan of A-Rod.

But in all honesty, I just don't see Jeter as being a better SS than A-Rod and the stats back up that statement.

2) Your somking crack

3) Your a Red Sux fan

And FightingBillini, you said you saw several games, where as we saw most/all of them. Jeter is a much better defensive shortstop than A-Rod. Alot of A-Rods errors came on balls that he would still get if he was at short. The only advantage A-Rod has over Jeter is the longball. All those times that Jeter makes those throws to first like that, is because he's in the outfield, where most SS wouldn't reach unless it was to catch a pop-up. If he has poor range, then how can he throw out runners from the outfield grass?

I am not a Red Sox fan. You can't judge "he would have made this, would have made that, he could have gotten to it if he were at a shortstop..." They are very different positions. SS requires the most athletic ability on the field. SS has to be the quickest and have the best arm. A 3B doesn't get the grounders a SS does. Most balls hit to 3B are hit harder. The thirdbaseman is closer to home, and he has much less time to react. Therefore, 3B is much more about reflex than quickness. Apples and oranges.

And there is a reason Jeter makes so many throws from the grass. He has no range, so he plays deeper so he has more time to get to the balls. A-Rod was close to the best there was at short when he played there. Jeter isn't in the top half of baseball.

Archived