All-Decade Teams

Darkslide820

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mariano: 129 SV, 376 2/3 IP, 337 K, 2.58 ERA, 1.13 WHIP

Hoffman: 228 SV, 509 IP, 580 K, 2.69 ERA, 1.05 WHIP

You HAVE to put Hoffman on there. Their numbers are both outstanding, and you can't hold him out considering he pitched so much more during the 90's than Rivera. Rivera didn't even make an impact till '97. Hoffman did it in '94.

They're essentially equals. Hoffman didn't have the playoff impact, but that's because the Padres were not the Yankees. You can't promote a guy who played longer and had just as good numbers because he barely makes the cutoff. Hoffman should be in there easily. Rivera rightfully has his place in the 2000's, as he should. That's where he belongs.

I came up with another idea for an All-Time Team, and it would be an interesting twist to what everyone would be used to. If I put the "Sports Illustrated All-Time All-Star Team" in the "MVP Legends" slot, I was thinking that it would be funny to put something like the "All-Time Worst Team" in the "MVP Heroes" slot. Imagine the likes of Mario Mendoza, Bill Bergen, Dan Briggs, and other players with subpar careers teaming together.

Anyone got some suggestions?

It was raining today, so I spent some time looking through the books and other forums' discussions on the topic to get some ideas. After putting some thought into it, here's my All-Time Worst Team:

SP Jose Lima

SP Jim Hughey

SP Hideki Irabu

SP Jaime Navarro

SP Dave Lemanczyk

MP Jack Kucek

MP Jeff Byrd

RP Ray Daviault

RP Andy Larkin

C Bill Bergen

C Bob Uecker

1B Dan Briggs

2B Don Mason

2B Joe Quinn

3B Barry McCormick

SS Mario Mendoza

SS Jackie Hernandez

IF Charlie Bastian

LF Hank Allen

CF Don Landrum

CF Darren Lewis

RF Sport McAllister

OF Matt Alexander

OF Tommy Dowd

OF Ricky Ledee

I tried to get a nice mix of eras, featuring not only one-year disasters but also lengthy bad careers. I feel that I accomplished that. As always, anyone with suggestions should feel free to comment.

I put Lima on because:

1) I found multiple references regarding him as possibly the worst ever.

2) Before 2006 he had already posted -10 TPW lifetime.

3) He's been pretty bad for a long time.

4) He has an ERA of 5.26.

5) He once referred to himself as the worst pitcher ever.

6) He stinks.

Besides, I'm trying to mix it up a little to get some old and some new. I don't really think that Ricky Ledee is one of the worst players ever (I actually have a good memory of him hitting an inside-the-parker at a Yankee game I went to), but he does have pretty bad numbers for over a decade and he gives me someone current to put on.

Well, folks, since I now have my 1990's roster and my All-Bad roster, I guess it's time to start working on those CAPs before moving on to the next rosters. If anyone wants to help out (either with CAPs of your own, links to CAPs, or maybe some good pictures since Google isn't the absolut greatest) that would be much appreciated as I would like to retain some of my sanity.

Archived