How is this year for a new mod?

Yankee4Life

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://flyingsock.com/OldComiskey/Fifties.htm (bottom of page)

fifties4kn6.jpg

Note the center field scoreboard, which replaced the ones that used to be on

the left and right field walls. To this scoreboard Bill Veeck would add line up toteboards

(on the right), a Soxogram message board (on the left), advertising space and clock (above)

and the famous rocket launchers at the top.

The Monster scoreboard was literally built around this existing scoreboard.

Here's a pic of the "monster" scoreboard Bill Veeck built in 1960 - otherwise known as the world-famous "Exploding Scoreboard."

scoreboard2wk4.jpg

from what I gather, the 1951 scoreboard - built in 1950 - is basically the blue inner part of Veeck's scoreboard.

the dimensions in 1951 were as follows (per Baseball Almanac):

Backstop - 85'

CF - 410'

Foul Poles - 352'

Alleys - 375'

iOne drawback I can think of now is back then, there were only sixteen teams in the Major Leagues, eight team per league. Can this be done in Mvp baseball?

Just a thought I had while wondering about this - if sorting out the leagues and divisions in this fashion (16 teams, 8 per league) is a pain, then why not try a combination mod? 1951, and, say, 1955 together as one mod? 2 teams would have to be removed in order to keep to the 30-team limit, but the benefit of having 2 years worth of teams in one mod and the ability to challenge, for example, the '51 Yankees against the '55 Dodgers would surely outweigh the loss of the 2 worst teams from each year.

15 teams from '51, 15 from '55 = 30 teams. Just a thought. :)

Wow - cool thread. I haven't been around for awhile. I've been over at Coursedownloads.com trying to get the two creators of the now two Augusta Nationals to work together and make *one* awesome one.

Anyhow, I couldn't think of many better years than 1951. The Dodgers were great that year (Jackie was still right at his peak) even though they didn't quite make it. BTW, there are stories that the Giants hot streak in '51coincided with a system to relay the signs of the opposing teams catchers to the Giants hitters from the clubhouse in center. Interesting theory.

Some coments on teams from '51:

Yankees (Berra MVP, DiMaggio's last, Mickey as a rookie, great pitching)

Indians (Luke Easter!!!!! :-) :-)

Red Sox - Still haven't completely fallen apart since their peak in '49 - Williams, Dropo, Stephens, Pesky, Doerr etc..

White Sox - I modded the '51 White Sox for High Heat. A fun, fun team.

Athletics - Better hitting than '52 - great year's for Joost, Zernial and Fain. Bobby Shantz coming into his own.

Senators and Tigers marginal. The Browns one of their worst. An awful, awful ballclub.

Giants and Dodgers nothing needs to be said. Two wonderful historic franchises loaded with name talent.

Sleeper - The 1951 Boston Braves. If I ever get around to modding teams again I want to do this team. Sam Jethroe - maybe the fastest man to ever play the game, Torgeson (career year), Sid Gordon and Walker Cooper big, big seasons.

Cards-A huge year for Stan the Man. A very solid ballclub.

I could go on. Anyhow, it would be an interesting season mod.

Saberhagen will never reach the hall, but he still had a ton of great years.

All these mods are a learning experience. Now we just need to convince the schools.

Speaking of Saberhagen and schools, Saberhagen's son goes to my university. One of my 102 students is interviewing Saberhagen Sr. for one of his papers.

And I think you should go for it, Y4L. If I can dig up anything to be of help, I'd be glad to chip in. Maybe some portraits or something?

It would be nice to get a '50's season mod done. Any year is alot of

work. But, the TC running audio mod will give just about any season a

good amount of audios to help out...

It just has to be planned and the different sections tasked out per say.

.mbe, audio (basically covered) portraits, uniforms, league alignment,

logos, season games scheduled, etc....

Speaking of Saberhagen and schools, Saberhagen's son goes to my university. One of my 102 students is interviewing Saberhagen Sr. for one of his papers.

And I think you should go for it, Y4L. If I can dig up anything to be of help, I'd be glad to chip in. Maybe some portraits or something?

I wish I knew the first thing about getting something like this together. I am very pleased with the positive responses to this. It would be another great mod in a long line of season mods these wonderful modders create.

Well, I've modded 3 of the 16 teams in some way in the past. I'd be willing to recreate these again - '51 Giants, `51 Dodgers, `51 White Sox. I'd also be willing to do the '51 Braves and possibly the '51 Indians with big Luke. This could be a fun project. I've got lots of quesitons first in regards to standarizing some stuff.

Like Y4L, I'm very excited about the response to this idea. But, like Y4L, I don't know the first thing about something like this. If there are ever pictures needed, stats found, etc. I'd be happy to help though.

I can guarantee that if this came to fruition, there would be a 1951 Giants dynasty posted.

I wish I knew the first thing about getting something like this together. I am very pleased with the positive responses to this. It would be another great mod in a long line of season mods these wonderful modders create.

I'd start with the roster. Everything else (except stadiums and unis) comes from that.

--Eric

Each and every time a new season mod is released, it's like we are getting a brand new game. And that's how I felt after Hory released the 1994 season. You can't say enough good things about it.

I know that 1988 and 1984 and 1978 are in the works or at the very least, being planned on.

I was thinking that a good year to do a mod that would generate a lot of interest would be the 1951 season. Here's why:

1. It was Willie Mays' (NY Giants) and Mickey Mantle's (NY Yankees) rookie year.

2. It was Joe Dimaggio's final year as a Yankee.

3. It was the year of the famous Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Giants National League dogfight.

4. Noteable National League players in their prime were playing in 1951. Roy Campanella (Brooklyn), Stan Musial (Cardinals), Ralph Kiner (Pirates) and Warren Sphan of the Boston Braves.

5. And the American League was well represented by Ted Williams (Boston Red Sox), Bob Feller (Indians), Nellie Fox (White Sox), Bobby Shantz (Philadelphia Athletics) and Satchel Paige of the St. Louis Browns.

So, as you can see 1951 is well represented by stars. One drawback I can think of now is back then, there were only sixteen teams in the Major Leagues, eight team per league. Can this be done in Mvp baseball?

If this can be done, it would be a great addition to this fine game we have. If not, well just chalk it up to someone having an idea.

Thoughts and comments of course are appreciated.

Sounds great to me.

I'd also love a mid-late 90's Mod, me being a 90's kid. Would love to play with Griffey back in Seattle and McGwire and Sosa in their primes.

Wouldn't the rosters be the easiest part? I was under the belief that these guys used the Lahman database for the source of the rosters.

The Lahman database is only a beginning, albeit it agood one. First, you import the teams one at a time from the database (about one evening). You then have to go through and correct the players' numbers according to the data on Baseball Almanac. (About one evening).

You then have to decide which 25 players you want on the major league roster and either delete or demote the rest. (I'd give this two evenings - you don't want to screw this up because you're not personally familiar with the players in question). You now have 25 players on each team, hopefully with rotations and lineups set - although the lineups don't come from a boxscore, MVPEdit uses a calculation based on plate appearances to determine who hit at the top of the order. (Oh, yeah, did you delete or demote anybody who was in the starting lineup? Did you figure out who the bullpen was, because MVPEdit only gives you a closer)...who all look exactly the same. So now you have to change the player ID's for all the players who are already in the game to the correct cyber and portrait, AND you have to find pics of everybody else, so you can figure out which generic cyber to use.

You then can, at your option, go through and edit the strikezones of each individual, so that their one hot spot isn't the upper outside corner (with a blue one right down the pipe). The pitches for each pitcher generated by MVPEdit are essentially random (although I do believe it uses k/9 to calculate how hard a pitcher threw), so you can always go out and buy the Neyer/James book to figure out what the guy actually threw...amd you still haven't corrected one batting stance or one pitching delivery.

I'm not complaining, I love doing this, and have created about a half-dozen rosters for my own use, but this is also why I've never released one - it's never done.

Davidc,

You are on target with your description of building an entire season's rosters. I spent on average 2-3 months to build one and then there is always improvements months and months later.

Here is my basic steps to building a season roster file:

1) Import Teams from Lahman Database:

2) Fill Non Playing Teams with 90OOxxx.mbe Boilerplate

3) 25 Man Rosters

4) Correct Positions & SP & RP’s

5) Lineups & Rotations

6) Global Tweaks

7) .mbe’s Migration Utility

8) Set #99 Players Personalities Traits

9) Individual Tweaks

10) Pitch Types

11) Star Power

12) Outlyers

13) Hot/Cold Zones

14) Adjust Homer Run % with Fly/Grounder/Liner = 100

15) Export Teams to .met files

16) Import Teams to Final .mbe file

17) Team Tendencies

18) Team Intensities vs other Teams

19) Manager Names

20) Manager Ratings

21) Portraits

22) Verify Player Jersey Numbers

23) Check Each Player Portrait/Face etc

24) Adjust Batting Gloves & other Accessories as appropriate

The site I use for most of my roster info is http://www.retrosheet.org

This site is invaluable for setting up pitching rotations, batting lineups, etc. When you click on a player name, select the year and then "splits", retrosheet provides batting order information for the player (e.g. number of times batting 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc.) as well as position information (e.g. number of times playing LF, CF, RF, etc.).

In addition, for hitters, it provides home vs. away stats, day vs. night stats, stats vs. LH or RH pitchers, batting stats in different situations (no one on, men on, runners in scoring position, bases loaded), stats vs. different teams, etc.

For pitchers, it provides similar stats, but from a pitcher's point of view (e.g. facing left handed vs. right handed batters, stats for pitching in different parks, etc.).

Archived