...More 3D Model Editing

thr33niL

Didn't want to completely hijack KC's thread on his 3D modeling so I figured on starting a new one dealing with elbow and shin guards mostly. His thread got me peaked on a few things.

I am completely annoyed with the plastic elbow guards. They aren't like any elbow guards I've seen and I would love to be able to make them more like the ones MLB players are actually using. More specifically, like Ichiro's elbow guard. It is basically an elbow pad but with a round plastic piece on the elbow itself. Would love to re-create that. This of course would have texture replacement necessary. The stock textures for the elbow and shin guards is 64X32 (32X64) and blurry as hell. I would love to be able to 2X that if possible and get some new textures in there. I am also interested in moving the small wristbands up the arm a bit to give some distance between the batting glove and wrist band.

For starters I re-textured a shin guard to show you what I mean. This is just the view in OEdit. I actually am not real sure of the process to get it in game. I may need some advice on getting the hibody.o split and back into initpurge.big (initprgz.big) and initstay.big (initstaz.big), compressed and back in game. So if anyone wants to throw that out there, that would be great.

Anyway, heres a preview.

shinguardss0.png

I'm not as good with accessory BMP editing like a certain Spungo around here so the texture is a little rough to start. I will work on it a little more to see if I can't clean it up as best as possible.

looks very good. I actually wanted to request an elbow pad mod, to replace the "tin" ones with normal elbow pads in blue and white (since blue, white and black are the colors used most of the time). Good to see you working on it.

Haven't started on the elbow guards yet. I think, ideally, I would replace the "plastic" elbow pad model with the regular elbow pad and add on a plastic cup to the texture and do a little OEditing to make it look right.

The more i look at it, the more i think the plastic 3D model is going to be screwy to edit. It would be much easier with the pad version.

looks very good. I actually wanted to request an elbow pad mod, to replace the "tin" ones with normal elbow pads in blue and white (since blue, white and black are the colors used most of the time). Good to see you working on it.

I know what you mean. The plastic ones look like two coffee cans hinged together.

What I want to do is just retex the "black pad" style to give it more detail. After that, I would probably leave it alone since its the style of guard ARod and a lot of other players use. I want to change the "black plastic" one to the style guard Ichiro/Johjima use. Then probably just change that one to white for the last one.

Just really got to get the tin can arm guards changed.

OK. Looking for a way to replace part 101 with part 104 in hibody.o. Basically want to copy the pad elbow guard model over the plastic model. Not even sure if its possible.

Good idea! I hope you have luck, elbow guards and shin guards are one of the last things to be modded.

the shin guards look amazing. Do you think your able to move up the wristbands a little bit more towards the elbow, like halfway on the forearm?

Thats exactly what I was thinking. I wanted to see how they fit with the elbow guards in game before I put them up the arm too far. But I should be able to go to mid forearm without much trouble. Thats what I wanted to do in the first place.

wow, all looks great. any chances of making the big wristbands like the way big sexy richie wears them?

Doesn't he and Beltre use like a wrist wrap that goes under their batting gloves. Thats what it looks like anyway.

i think so. something like that. but this is probably the closest thing to it. but dang, more i look at those shin guards, the more i'm diggin them. great work.

and...what's in the avy? looks very familiar but my memory can't pinpiont that pic.

i think so. something like that. but this is probably the closest thing to it. but dang, more i look at those shin guards, the more i'm diggin them. great work.

and...what's in the avy? looks very familiar but my memory can't pinpiont that pic.

Its the cd artwork for White Zombie's Astro Creep 2000 album.

Thanks on the shin guards. I still have to tweak them a bit but I really want to get the elbow guards going.

I fixed up the textures on the shin guards and changed the rawlings (black) one to a Nike guard. Actually just swapped logos. I couldn't find a Nike shin guard that I could pull a decent texture off of. Anyway. fixed some mapping and cleaned it up a bit. Looks good.

I pretty much done with the shin guards. Now onto the elbow guards.

I moved up the armbands some but its clipping a bit. I like the placement though. I also adjust the elbow pad quite a bit. Brought it up the arm a lot so it fits with the placement of the wrist bands.

Here are some more screenshots.

wbqx6.png

arec8.png

Archived