A Unified Comiskey

paulw

I started to do some work on creating the scoreboard for the later years of Comiskey and came across a fantastic pic from 1967. This would have been the scoreboard from approximately 1960 to 1980. I've seen the bottom half of this in some shots from one of the truly great social moments in American history - Steve and Gary's Disco Demolition night in 1979 (I listened to those guys for almost 20 years). Anyhow, below is a pic I took of what I have now. I'd like to release this is Classic Comiskey and skip having two versions. I'd like to know what anyone thinks...

sox_newscore.jpg

A Comiskey divided against itself cannot stand. I certainly like the way it looks, and I could tell you were slightly less than psyched about creating the exploding scoreboard.

Also love describing the Disco Demolition night as a "social moment." Understatement of the year!

Since you asked.....

The reason I'd still want the 50's version that you originally released is that it will be more accurate for the 1956 season mod. If you want to just release the 60's version, then I'll use that for the '56 mod. I'll just need to find a new photo for the stadium select screen, since I'm using one now that matches the 50's version of the stadium.

Paul,

Before you make any drastic changes to what you have now, would it be possible to get this rendering of the stadium for the '88 mod? I think it's the closest we'll see it to the 80's version of Comiskey. Unless you headed in a different direction with it.

Jim - I've got a finished '50s version. I'm pretty sure you have my email - if not PM me with yours. I'll send you the '50s one.

Tebjr - this will look just fine in your 1988 mod. The problem with the latest scoreboard is it had a jumbotron on it. Just don't know how I could mod this.

Thanks everyone for your comments. This is *Sean's* stadium - he does the real work - the grunt stuff. I'm going to send it to him to release. I'm just very happy to be able to work with someone as talented as Sean - and with someone who seems to love ballparks as much as I do.

I started to do some work on creating the scoreboard for the later years of Comiskey and came across a fantastic pic from 1967. This would have been the scoreboard from approximately 1960 to 1980. I've seen the bottom half of this in some shots from one of the truly great social moments in American history - Steve and Gary's Disco Demolition night in 1979 (I listened to those guys for almost 20 years). Anyhow, below is a pic I took of what I have now. I'd like to release this is Classic Comiskey and skip having two versions. I'd like to know what anyone thinks...

sox_newscore.jpg

Nice :wtg:

This looks very good Paul

IMHO, it would be a good release to cover most of the ChiSox years

in the Classic mods. (ex. TC8, 1961, '67, etc.) Then if any other versions done on the way (ex 1950's) they can be specific to any one classic year released

Just in case anyone hadn't noticed I've uploaded this. There's one bad camera cut scene that will pop up occasionally - I just can't figure out which one it is. Please let me know if you find any other bugs. Sean did such a great initial job on this -I want to make sure I'm not wrecking it any way. BTW - if you happen to land one on the right field roof (it's not easy to get one all the way up there) - use the right field replay cam. This will show the ball landing on and falling off the back of the roof.

It is impossible for me to decide what version to keep so I am not even going to try. I have different installs of this game and the 1950's version and this Classic one from the 60's are both on my hard drive and will both be used. I love them, and thank you both for excellent work, as always.

The nice thing is you can use the first version I posted (even though it does not have the great surrounding buildings) for '56, '61 and '64, with the new version for '67, '78 and '88. Best of both worlds.

Right now, we're going to let paul go into his 1/2 month hibernation, so he can be ready to go the next time I send him a park out of the blue. Heck, we haven't done anything to Yankee Stadium in a few weeks, I'm sure we can add... the subway, or completely render the exterior buildings, or something.

Thanks paul.

Anyone hit one out of Comiskey yet? I haven't, but it seems possible. A 425 or so blast looks like it would go over the LF upperdeck.

Cepeda launched one into the upperdeck that I thought for sure was going to leave. It ended up falling at 375 feet.

cepedacomisky.jpg

Also, paul...I see you used Sportsman's as a base. If so, the camera that is messing up is the RF 'out of the stadium' camera that basically is from inside the RF bleachers.

HCL-

It's funny that after months of saying Tiger was the only possible base for Comiskey, Sportsman's ended up being infinitely better. As for hitting it out, definitely try right field, where it is much shorter. In a 3 game sweep with the '78 Red Sox, I crushed so many into and over the RF bleachers I was concerned about it being a functional park.

Lemme know your thoughts.

I've cleared the rf bleachers a couple of times. Joe DiMaggio put one on the left field roof once for me but that was an absolute shot down the line. It's a pretty good poke to get one out in left.

HCL - thanks for the camera info. I'll try that out.

Sean - I'm pretty sure I sent you the Longines / '50s version with everything completed. Maybe you could update the 50's version with that file. We'd then have two complete versions out there.

Good point about the Longines version. I'll update that soon.

Fred Lynn had a freaking field day with the right field roof, though this was before the collision detection. Righty pitchers kept dumping BP fastballs low and inside, and those go a long way against vintage Freddy.

Good times.

I have it bookmarked. "It breaks your heart, it is designed to break your heart. the game begins in the spring when everything else begins again, it blossoms in the spring, filling the afternoon and evenings, and right as the chill air comes, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone."

right when you need it most. It's easily my favorite piece of writing ever.

Archived