The Low Stadium Texture Problem - Please Help!!!

DylanBradbury

How can I get the low texture stadiums (or whatever the less-detailed stadium setting is called) to work without my game crashing to the desktop?

The high setting is too slow :(

I have tried using different resolutions, but it all results in the same crash. Is there a patch or download that can help?

PLEASE HELP!!!

God, dear God. Enigma. E for echo. Enigma.

As I've said lots of times before, help us to help you. We need more information about your system and what you're doing in order to help. What are your system specs? What's running when you are trying to play? Are you using any mods? If so, which ones? What graphics drivers are you using? What graphics settings (specifically AF and AA) are you using? What have you tried to resolve the problem already yourself? Have you tried the low setting for stadiums in the options menu?

God, dear God. Enigma. E for echo. Enigma.

As I've said lots of times before, help us to help you. We need more information about your system and what you're doing in order to help. What are your system specs? What's running when you are trying to play? Are you using any mods? If so, which ones? What graphics drivers are you using? What graphics settings (specifically AF and AA) are you using? What have you tried to resolve the problem already yourself? Have you tried the low setting for stadiums in the options menu?

I apologize for the spelling mistake, first of all. To tell you the truth, I had Enigma originally, but for some reason it looked wrong, so I changed it to a 'I'

I've used the nifty EAsy System summary to help you help me! Here are the results:

----EASy System Summary--------------------------------------

Video Card : RADEON 7500 (Microsoft Corporation)

Video Driver : ati2dvag.dll

Driver Version : 6.14.10.6462

Sound Card : CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device

Sound Driver : CMAUDIO.SYS

Driver Version : 5.12.01.0630

DirectX : DirectX 9

Operating System Windows XP Service Pack 2 5.1.2600

----EASy System Output---------------------------------------

CPU Type : 800 MHz GenuineIntel Pentium III

RAM : 496 MB Total

244 MB Free

Virtual RAM : 1158 MB Total

982 MB Free

Operating System : Windows XP Service Pack 2 5.1.2600

Default Browser : Internet Explorer

Version : 6.0.2900.2180

Temp Directory :&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Size : 55 MB

------------------------------------------------------------

----Display Info--------------------------------------------

Number of Displays : 2

Current Mode (Primary) : 1024x768 32

Primary display device

Description : RADEON 8650(Microsoft Corporation)

Manufacturer : ATI Technologies Inc.

Video Memory : 1 MB

Secondary display device

Description : SiS 300/305/630/540/730

Manufacturer : SiS

Video Memory : 1 MB

Main Driver : SiS300iv.dll

Version : 5.13.01.1100

Supported Display Modes

| 16 | 256 | 16 bits| 24 bits| 32 bits

---------------------------------------------------

640 x 480| * | * | * | | *

800 x 600| * | * | * | | *

1024x 768| | * | * | | *

1152x 864| | * | * | | *

1280x1024| | * | * | | *

1600x1200| | * | * | | *

----Sound, Video and Game Controllers-----------------------

Description : CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device

Manufacturer : C-Media

Main Driver : CMAUDIO.SYS

Version : 5.12.01.0630

----Direct X------------------------------------------------

DirectX Info

Version : DirectX 9

DirectDraw Info

Version : 5.03.2600.2180

Certified : Not certified

DirectSound Info

Certified : Certified

DirectPlay Info

Version : 5.00.2134.0001

DirectInput Info

I hope this helps. Both my AA and AF are at the lowest setting possible. I am also using NO mods! Hope this helps.

You also asked me if I had tried using the low setting for stadiums in the options menu, that is my goal, whenever I use it, the game crashes to the desktop when I start a game. Hope the info really helps, sorry if this is too long. Thanks!

Thanks for that. As for "inigma", it's just a pet peeve of mine. :)

Interesting problem. In short, you've having crashing from a fresh reinstall, no mods, with system specs higher than the recommended.

The first thing I noticed is that there seems to be a problem with how your video card is reporting itself to the system - in the summary at the top, your card is reported as a Radeon 7500, but in the full output, your display is listed as a Radeon 8650. If you know what card you actually have in the system, check for updated drivers from the ATI Radeon website.

Do you use any other games on the PC, and if so, do you have any problems with them? Also, even though no mods have been installed, have you installed any of EA's patches?

The system check reported 2 display adapters. That's normal - onboard video and a video card, but check in the BIOS to make sure that your onboard video has been disabled. It can cause problems if both are active, although most systems disable onboard video as standard these days when using an expansion video card.

Now, more questions. (Sorry man! ;) ) At what point does the game crash? Is it at the game loading screen and where you can see the loading bar, as soon as you hit advance on the stadium screen, toward the end of the loading bar as it's about to start loading the graphics, or do you see any parts of the stadium or players before it crashes? Have you tried any other game modes? Try exhibition, dynasty, the pitching and hitting mini-games and try to edit a player. Try different teams as well - if you're not using any mods at all, try loading 2 single-A teams into one of the Spring Training stadiums. These are about the lowest graphical outputs the game uses - no cyberfaces or big MLB stadium graphics to process, just small stadiums with minimal graphics.

Finally, check in device manager for any errors or conflicts - they'll be noted with a red X or a yellow exclamation mark beside the name of the item.

The first thing I noticed is that there seems to be a problem with how your video card is reporting itself to the system - in the summary at the top, your card is reported as a Radeon 7500, but in the full output, your display is listed as a Radeon 8650. If you know what card you actually have in the system, check for updated drivers from the ATI Radeon website.
That would be the first thing to do, for sure, since he appears to be using the stock Windows drivers.

Thanks for your assistance,

The video card is definitely the 7500, did the EAsy System summary on more than one occasion, and it is always the 7500. I think it was a weird one time occurance. :S

I've played (and thoroughly enjoyed) many other games with my PC. Most of them actually being EA Sports games. They include: NHL 2001, Madden NFL Football 2004, NBA Live 2004.

The game crashes when, after clicking on advance, the screen with the bar and loading is presented. It loads for about an inch on the bar, and then crashes to the desktop where it says the usual, 'This program has performed an illegal operation...'

As for EA Patches, I thought they were roster updates, but I tried them, and it didn't help. Nifty idea though.

I also tried playing a single-A game in a spring training stadium, and it failed too. Every team does it, and mini-games failed as well. ANOTHER great idea!

The device manager is fine..

Any other suggestions?

Wow - so it doesn't crash when using high textures, but it does on low? What about medium?

I looked up the specs of the 7500, and it only has 64MB of GPU memory...I don't think it should be an issue considering that high loads but is very slow (the low amount of memory is probably why it's slow). If anything, low should load and be slow, and high should crash, not the other way around.

Looking at the ATI/Radeon site, the drivers I found for the 7500 only go up to Catalyst 6.11. According to the system summary, you're using 6.14. Try creating a driver rollback disk, then install the 6.11 drivers, see if that helps at all. If it doesn't, reinstall 6.14 from your disk.

If that still doesn't help, to be honest, I'm pretty much out of ideas - I can't think of anything else right now. Maybe a reinstall? Uninstall the current one, delete all files and folders from Program Files, then reinstall.

I'd definitely try the drivers first though. Just make sure that the link I've given above is the correct one for your card.

Hahaa,

I actually just tried the driver thing, RIGHT after I posted my last message! Sorry to say it didn't work.

I've tried the uninstall-reinstall many-a-time but it never works. I REALLY appreciate your help, and again sorry for the spelling of the word ''Enigma!''

Thanks again!

Damn. :( Sorry I couldn't be of more help, man. I honestly have no idea why it's crashing. I'd say it's more system/driver related than game-related, but it's quite conflicting.

Anyone else have any ideas? The situation right now is as follows;

Crashes at game loading screen when using low texture option for stadiums, high texture loads fine but is very slow. Crash occurs 1 inch into loading bar. Fresh install, no mods used. Same when using other teams and stadiums, including spring training stadiums, same in mini-games, same after clean reinstall, same using other resolutions, same after installing EA patches, same after updating drivers. No errors in device manager. Other games work OK.

System specs;

800MHz Pentium III CPU

64MB Radeon 7500 video card

512MB system RAM

DirectX 9

Windows XP SP2

Just looking back, you mentioned that you get the "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down" message when the game crashes. I've never seen this in XP before - this was native to legacy OS's, such as '95 and '98. In XP, I've only ever seen the "This program has encountered a problem and needs to close" error. I'm not sure, it may be used in XP, I've just never seen it before.

I'll keep an eye here and see if I can come up with anything else.

I apologize for the spelling mistake, first of all. To tell you the truth, I had Enigma originally, but for some reason it looked wrong, so I changed it to a 'I'

You might know how to spell "enigma" now, but "bizzare" is still hurting my eyes... :wall:

As for your problem, have you tried turning off the crowds?

im not sure why its happening but id bet it has something to do with your graphics card.

I've run just about every diagnostic tool for my graphics card, and they all run successfully with no problems reported. I can also run games with better graphics, and can run the game on High-Texture stadium settings. Thanks for the thought... :cry:

no no i mean your graphics card doesn't support the compression type on the low textures or something like that. I know zilch about the low textures but they might use a lower quality dds compression or something like that, maybe one your graphics card cant handle.

no no i mean your graphics card doesn't support the compression type on the low textures or something like that. I know zilch about the low textures but they might use a lower quality dds compression or something like that, maybe one your graphics card cant handle.

I can play low textures for other ea sports games...

Look your graphics card uses and image format called a dds.

dds files can contain multiple images at differant resolution and compact them all into one small little package. Thats how a .fsh file is so much smaller than a bunch of .bmp files.

dds files are compacted in a bunch of different ways.

some of the compression formats really really compress the files into very small packages. When they are compacted very very small they loose quality but don't take up nearly as much memory.

Some of the compression formats keep the images at a higher quality and take up much more memory.

These dds fields are sent to your video card memory are unpacked, processed and rendered.

I don't know this for sure but it is very possible that the lower quality textures are compressed into a different tighter format, one that your graphics card is having trouble decompressing hence causign your game to crash. No matter how much RAM or how fast your graphics processor is if it cant decompress the textures it wouldn't matter thats why i think this is your problem.

This however is all speculation. I have no knowledge about any of the low quality textures or if certain graphics cards can not handle certain compression formatts.

Archived