Just for fun - 1951 Ebbets

paulw

Though I cannot understand very much of this it sounds like it may be awfully promising!

To re read this last sentence that I just posted may make very little sense

but I thought I would chime in and wish you fellas the best with a potential new discovery

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul - That looks very nice. The only nit I have to pick is with your "Lifebouy" ad. Is that mispelled (i.e. should it be "Lifebuoy")?

I found the following ad that has similar text to the text in your ad:

[imgurl url=http://www.old-time.com/commercials/1940's/Ad%20Lifebuoy%20Lightens%20Up%202.jpg]http://www.old-time.com/commercials/1940's/Ad%20Lifebuoy%20Lightens%20Up%202.jpg[/imgurl]

Paul - That looks very nice. The only nit I have to pick is with your "Lifebouy" ad. Is that mispelled (i.e. should it be "Lifebuoy")?

I found the following ad that has similar text to the text in your ad:

[imgurl url=http://www.old-time.com/commercials/1940's/Ad%20Lifebuoy%20Lightens%20Up%202.jpg]http://www.old-time.com/commercials/1940's/Ad%20Lifebuoy%20Lightens%20Up%202.jpg[/imgurl]

That's my signature Jim! I spell like kr*p (and work in the Academic Office at CUW - now that's the real challenge). Thank god for spell checkers - Photoshop doesn't have one so I hack stuff up all the time. Anyhow, thanks for finding this. It's a very easy change for me to make.

paul, this is supposed to be 1951(ish) Ebbets, correct? I was trying to help you with some of the signs (and the notoriously inaccurate) Getty Images says that these photos are from the 51 season.

And if so, they signage is considerably different than the direction you are going.

http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.a...&ep=2&src=quick

Also, my very poor eyes seem to detect that the 'I' in LIFEBOUY or however you spell it should be sans serif.

Like this one:

Pittsburgh Pirates v Brooklyn Dodgers

BROOKLYN, NY - 1951: Outfielder Wally Westlake #15 of the Pittsburgh Pirates, poses for a portrait prior to a game in 1951 against the Brooklyn Dodgers at Ebbets Field in Brooklyn, New York. (Photo by: Kidwiler Collection/Diamond Images/Getty Images)

76022934.jpg

Plato is "busted". The time frame I'm shooting for is "around" 1950. Most of the pictures I'm working from are taking during the 1949 World Series. That's where I got all the colour from. I have the Bulova sign you show (and actually had it in an earier version) - but then I'd throw out a couple of hours I spent working on the new one.

The ballpark I'd *like* to create is one that is outside of time and catches the true essence of Ebbets. Yes, this is the ballpark I'll use in the '51 mod (at least my version anyhow) but I want something I work on to be more than just that. I like to try and go just a tad past realism into surrealism if that's makes any sense. Anyhow, thanks very much for finding the pics.

Here's what I got so far. Trying to find accurate pics are rare since the dates are so inconsistent. Lemme know what you are going for Paul. Some pics I found have a circle for the batting practice shapes and the on deck circles. There is also trapezoid chalk outline behind homeplate minus that grass island. I'm kinda unsure about the grass island I don't know if it's a triangle or trapezoid shape.

I could incorporate these instead if you want. It's all non destructive modeling, tweaking stuff is very simple in 3dsmax. You can draw on the pics to show me what needs to be moved or whatnot.

ebbetsdraft1C.jpg

ebbetsdraft1.jpg

ebbetsdraft1B.jpg

I like it *exactly* as you have it Rolie. This is so much better than what's there now. I'm not looking for a perfectly exact time - this looks like one of the more unique configurations which makes it perfect. Thanks so very much!

Sounds good. If there's anything *you'd* like to change that you'd like better please do. Just think of the essence of Ebbets - whatever field configuration *feels* right. Also, if there are any other ideas you have or stuff you'd like to change with all of your cool new tools go for it.

In 1951, there was no interior batting lines. The batter's box was literally a giant box around homeplate.

I only learned this today listening to the Braves radio broadcast. They were discussing how Bobby Thompson was seemingly standing on top of homeplate during the Shot Heard Round the World and upon further review noted that there was no dividing line between homeplate and the outside of the box.

In 1951, there was no interior batting lines. The batter's box was literally a giant box around homeplate.

I only learned this today listening to the Braves radio broadcast. They were discussing how Bobby Thompson was seemingly standing on top of homeplate during the Shot Heard Round the World and upon further review noted that there was no dividing line between homeplate and the outside of the box.

Funny you should bring up Thompson, considering the screenshot on the previous page has Branca pitching. :wink:

Here's a pic from the 1949 series - the signs should look *very* familiar ;-) One thing I notice from all the pictures I've seen is what an absolute mess the infield is (in all oldtime parks) by the end of the season. I have a picture of the Polo Grounds from 1951 and the infield looks like a cow pasture. I wonder if there is any way we could mess up the infields a bit.

49Ebbets.jpg

I wonder if there is any way we could mess up the infields a bit.

Hey Rolie-

Any chance you can copy what EA did on Classic Fenway with the alpha'd dirt? That should provide the soft edges that would make it look accurate. I suppose the most accurate way to do it with what I understand of your Dodger Stadium-type grass would be to create a sep. part (and image) for any place where the dirt touches the grass and making that part transparent. That way you don't get unnecessary dirt spots in the actual field, while you still have the grass higher than the dirt overall.

Hey Rolie-

Any chance you can copy what EA did on Classic Fenway with the alpha'd dirt? That should provide the soft edges that would make it look accurate. I suppose the most accurate way to do it with what I understand of your Dodger Stadium-type grass would be to create a sep. part (and image) for any place where the dirt touches the grass and making that part transparent. That way you don't get unnecessary dirt spots in the actual field, while you still have the grass higher than the dirt overall.

I agree. The templates don't quite look good with older fields. I tried it with that bevel type way but it just doesn't look right. It's too clean. I 'll check out the way did classic fenway and try it their way.

I see what they did but that was only warning track, Some parts of that fenway track are horribly stretched. They had one alpha texture for the thin track. That wouldn't work for ebbets homeplate area since it's so huge. You would need more texture spots, but those are very limited since the mfield is so picky about which parts are overlaid properly without ghosting.

What I want to do is model the grass by each strand like in Tiger Woods. I dunno if I could that for the whole field. Maybe just the edges or something I dunno.

you know I got a way better idea. Why not just texture the whole field flat, no modeling, except for the mound and bases. Make all the details in photoshop. Just one square or whatever or split up into smaller chunks.

you know I got a way better idea. Why not just texture the whole field flat, no modeling, except for the mound and bases. Make all the details in photoshop. Just one square or whatever or split up into smaller chunks.

But then how are you going to animate each blade of grass (ala Tiger Woods)?

:D

That's just a pipe dream after playing tiger woods. Theat grass render different when zoomed in only.

This idea is so ridiculously simple that it might work. There is no grass lip bevel in older stadium since the grass is so beat up compared to today's standard.

I'm just gonna model 1 big square over the field and cut it up it about 9 pieces,1024^2 or 512^2. Which just happens to be the amount of open texture spots.

Less accuracy for more accuracy, if that makes sense. Just paint the the field details in photoshop instead of modeling. I can't believe I haven't thought of this before.

ebbetstest.jpg

Archived