Problem with TC 1988

alantrammellisahofer

ok, problem found. so for some reason i had an mbe file that was different from the install of the game. so i re-installed it. turns out the install i had had him assigned the 855 face. i'm not sure if i have the latest install or not, or if my mbe file was the latest or not. but either way, the problem lies in the fact that there is no face installed in the models.big for 855. that's why it crashed. so to fix it, just open your roster in mvpedit, change his id to 901, and export it back to your game. that should do it.

for those who don't know how to, just dowload this file. unzip it. copy the attrib.dat file to your database folder and replace the one there.

Thanks Homer. An oversight I guess. I don't remember assigning him a face, but apparently I did somewhere along the way.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I merely packaged everything up for the update (i.e. I didn't do any real testing other than to confirm that the installation procedure worked OK). It sounds like the issue is with the updated roster files or the updated models.big file packaged with the mod. Either an incorrect face ID was given to Mike Heath or a new face for him (ID #855) was not added to the models.big file.files, the models.big file.

Jim,

I was sure that nothing had changed as far as what you packaged up, I thought it might have just been a bad install.

I hope I didn't come off as placing blame. If I did, I'm sorry.

Jim,

I was sure that nothing had changed as far as what you packaged up, I thought it might have just been a bad install.

I hope I didn't come off as placing blame. If I did, I'm sorry.

I didn't take it that way at all. I was just explaining that I didn't do much besides packaging everything up, so that's why I didn't find the problem before posting the update.

OK, found the problem.

There is a face 855 for Mike Heath. I didn't include it in the stuff I sent Jim, but the change had been made to the .MBE. So, like you guys said, there was no face # 855 in the models, which caused it to crash.

Another problem to fix in the next update.

• 4 months later...

I tried to play at the stadium in an exhibition game. I did export it back in so it saved because I opened it again today and it said he had face 901. I'm not sure how to install the face itself. I'm kind of new to this stuff since I just got into mods 6 or so months ago.

so you played an exhibition game and it still crashed? if so, then there might be something else crashing it.

but to install the face, just use Tit. install Tit into the 88 game directory. open it and browse for the zipped file from above and hit go. it'll do it automatically for you.

BWiggy,

When you say you exported the DATs back into the game, did you do the following:

Click on Export:

clickonexport.jpg

Then it will ask where you want to Export the DATS to:

exportdatfiles.jpg

Scroll down until you see Program Files, click on that.

Then scroll down until you see EA Sports, click on that.

That will bring up all of the folders in your EA Sports directory. Find your 1988 install. Click on it.

You should then have something like this:

[i10557016.jpg

Then click on Data, then scroll down and click on Database, then OK. MVPEdit will then export the DATs back into the game.

Alright I just found out a bit more info. I installed Mike Heath's face but that didn't solve the problem. So I tried playing at Tiger Stadium without the Tigers being the home team. The stadium works perfect. So there must be something with the Tigers roster.

Another thing I found out was the same thing happened when I played a Comiskey. It wouldn't work if the Sox were the home team but when I didn't use the Sox at Comiskey the stadium worked perfectly fine.

When I exported it back into the game the way you told me to it said O.K. to overwrite. I selected o.k. Then I got a message saying the file was a read only so there was an error.

OK,

Go to C:\Program Files\EA Sports\1988 install\data

Then right click on the database, then properties. Then make sure the "read only" box is not checked.

Alright I did that and it is now saying the file hist.dat is read only and cannot be overwritten. Export halted.

I even checked that file to see if its read only and the box isn't checked so I'm not sure whats up with that.

The stadiums should have nothing to do with your problems. It sounds like it's a roster / cyberface issue. I'm guessing that you would have the same problem if you have the Tigers or White Sox play at other stadiums. Have you tried this?

Have you checked the batting lineups and pitching rotations for the Tigers and White Sox in MVPEdit to make sure that there are no errors?

to make sure that there are no other cyberface issues, open up the rosters in MVPEdit. Go to the Options screen (I think it's Tools-> Options) and make sure that "Show Faces" is checked. Then, for both the Tigers and White Sox rosters, go to the Appearance tab and scroll down one player at a time and verify that a face shows up for all players that have face numbers that are not in the 901 - 915 range. If a face does not show up for those players, then that is a problem.

As for the file being read only, you don't have the game running when you are trying to update the rosters do you? Do you have any other applications open that are accessing the rosters?

If I get time later, I will look into this issue on my installation.

I just tried TC1988 on my PC (with the Mike Heath face installed) and everything worked fine for me. The Tigers could play at home at Tiger Stadium and the White Sox could play at home at Comiskey Park with no problems at all.

Neither team works as the road team either. On the Tigers there are 9 guys that have a number between 901-915. On the White Sox there are twenty guys with a face between 901-915. None of the faces show up. This sounds like a major problem. I installed the game over a clean MVP as well.

Archived