MVP Baseball 2005 Defensive Rating Calculator

DylanBradbury

I've made a MVP Baseball 2005 Defensive Rating Calculator (currently in BETA).

However, I don't like it! I would appreciate algorithm ideas for the four defensive rating (fielding, range, throwing strength and accuracy).

You can download the rating calculator here, and tell me what you think.

I really would appreciate (constructive) help on this one guys and gals.

Any formula ideas?

EDIT: My main difficulty is adjusting for games. For example a player who plays one inning a season and makes no errors, and a player who plays 162 games and makes no errors, shouldn't be equal.

I've made a MVP Baseball 2005 Defensive Rating Calculator (currently in BETA).

However, I don't like it! I would appreciate algorithm ideas for the four defensive rating (fielding, range, throwing strength and accuracy).

You can download the rating calculator here, and tell me what you think.

I really would appreciate (constructive) help on this one guys and gals.

Any formula ideas?

EDIT: My main difficulty is adjusting for a defensive replacement. For example a player who plays one inning a season and makes no errors, and a player who plays 162 games and makes no errors, shouldn't be equal.

If you don't have sample sizes from the minors that would help you generate a rating for them, you could do something based on VORP values.

Hey guys,

Great idea, btw, it was much needed. But what's the highest ranking? I was fooling around and got 6/15/15/7. Shouldn't the highest be 10? Or 100 like in MVP?

The highest ranking is 15.

In MVP, a lot of rankings are on 1-15 scale.

Here is a chart to represent what the 1-15 scale is on the 1-100 scale.

15 = 100

14 = 95

13 = 90

12 = 85

11 = 80

10 = 75

09 = 70

08 = 65

07 = 60

06 = 55

05 = 50

04 = 40

03 = 30

02 = 20

01 = 10

00 = 00

And thank you so much for downloading, and enjoying it.

Dylan,

Sorry - I had read the ReadMe when I originally downloaded it, and finally got the chance today to fool around with it.

Great stuff - MVP lacked this. With this, the defensive/pitchers/offensive calculators, MVP CAP's are set.

Anyways, thanks for the mod, it looks awesome, I can't wait to put it to full use.

Dylan,

Sorry - I had read the ReadMe when I originally downloaded it, and finally got the chance today to fool around with it.

Great stuff - MVP lacked this. With this, the defensive/pitchers/offensive calculators, MVP CAP's are set.

Anyways, thanks for the mod, it looks awesome, I can't wait to put it to full use.

No worries gowingsgo8803. There have been times as well when I wrote a harsh review of something, only to found out later I was at fault. I just wish users could change their reviews...

I hope you enjoy the ratings, and as time goes on, I'll try to improve the formulas!

As well, If you'd like, write reviews for my other programs. :)

Thanks again for downloading, and enjoy them to the max.

Great utility!!!

The "Holy Grail" is the Pitching Calculator.

Thanks for all of your work on these.

Wikitundra, sorry for the late reply.

I am so glad you enjoy them. For a nineteen-year-old who self-taught himself Visual Basic, and who made these programs originally for himself, it makes me so glad to hear other people like them

Question though, is the "Holy Grail" my Pitching Stamina calculator, or a calculator for other pitching ratings? :S (If the latter, I'm trying)

Thanks again for downloading, and if you wish don't forget to write a review.

I just downloaded this a few days ago and liked it so much I got your other 3 ratings calculators. Problem with this one I found was finding out how many innings a guy played during the season, how are we suppose to find something like that out?

I just downloaded this a few days ago and liked it so much I got your other 3 ratings calculators. Problem with this one I found was finding out how many innings a guy played during the season, how are we suppose to find something like that out?
Hey Lyon810,

To find out how many innings a player played, go to Baseball-Reference.com, find a player you want to rate, and click on his player page.

Next, scroll down to Fielding, the last column in the Fielding section is innings played.

this program is good i like it but one problem- i can't find any innings on minor players' stats under fielding section but major players' stats show innings under the fielding section- maybe i am wrong or any help?

thanks

Unfortunately, you're right. You can't find minor league inning data.

I'll try to find a work around as soon as possible. I'll PM you when I do.

Thanks for downloading!

Archived