Dylan's Mvp Baseball 2005 Batter Rating Calculator - Support Topic

DylanBradbury

I went to the place where you said to download the calculator, but it cannot figure out how to use it on my computer.

It's a .rar file, so you'll have to unpack it. Use WinRar to unpack.

Inside it, theres an .exe and a .txt. Run the .exe file, called Batter Rating Calculator. Input your stats, click calculate, your ratings are on-screen.

Hope that helps.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I did everything you said and I found the .exe file, but it says that it is a iTunes document and whenever I click on it, iTunes pops up. Is this correct?

Unfortunately, it's not correct. It's not an iTunes document. The exe is it's own program, an executable file.

I also have no idea on how to fix the problem. The man I'd message to help you is MarkB.

Good luck.

Thanks coco! I appreciate the kind words.

Other people might not use them because they have their own methods that work just as good, if not better!

For some reason, the update didn't update on the site (it was still version 12.6), I just fixed it.

I'll speak from experience here as I'm currently making the 98 roster.

Using the Lahman Database importer in MVPedit along with stecropper's global tweaks can take about a few hours to complete, whilst with Dylanbradbury's calculator, although it's outstanding and personally I would rather use it, can take a very long time as you have to type out all of the stats, then take the generated stats and copy them into MVPedit.

Still, I've had a look at the new update and it is absolutely marvelous. Thanks.

I'll speak from experience here as I'm currently making the 98 roster.

Using the Lahman Database importer in MVPedit along with stecropper's global tweaks can take about a few hours to complete, whilst with Dylanbradbury's calculator, although it's outstanding and personally I would rather use it, can take a very long time as you have to type out all of the stats, then take the generated stats and copy them into MVPedit.

Still, I've had a look at the new update and it is absolutely marvelous. Thanks.

Thanks Andy!

Oh, ok so that wont help, is there a way that you could have your new and improved calculators (batting, pitching, and defensive) on a system like that, so I can download them?

Yah, I could try making an install program (I think that's what you want). It'll be a while though.

On that website, I used the VBR ZIP format. How long do you think it will be.

Yah for some reason, the uploader to the website uploaded it under media. I'm not sure why. I'm not sure why that format worked for you, as it's an .exe file as well.

It'll be around 9 PM Eastern Time, if I do get around to it at all.

As well, MarkB will probably know how to fix it. So if you haven't already PM him and ask why .exe files are opening in iTunes.

Yah for some reason, the uploader to the website uploaded it under media. I'm not sure why. I'm not sure why that format worked for you, as it's an .exe file as well.

It'll be around 9 PM Eastern Time, if I do get around to it at all.

As well, MarkB will probably know how to fix it. So if you haven't already PM him and ask why .exe files are opening in iTunes.

Thank you so much for doing this for me... I already sent him a PM, but he hasn't responded yet. Again thanks so much!

Thank you so much for doing this for me... I already sent him a PM, but he hasn't responded yet. Again thanks so much!

Hey man, I finished a little early. Unzip to your destination, and then run the setup programs.

There's still a chance it might not work, and if it doesn't just wait for MarkB.

• 1 month later...

Both an older version and the newest version of the calculator do not work anymore in Windows Vista 64-Bit if you install the following update. Windows did some automatic updates for me, today on 7/15/09, and I could no longer get the program to run. After un-installing the 2 latest things, I believe I found the culprit.

Security Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB961371)

Anyone else having this problem?

Also, after looking at the version notes, you didn't mention that you changed the formula for ratings from version 12.6 to 14.6.

I tested it a few times, and inputting the same stats results in decently lower scores in version 14.6.

Another thing is that hot & cold zones are completely random. If you hit calculate ratings with the same stats entered, the hot & cold zones change randomly, it's not really based off any real stats.

Sorry for the constructive criticism, and thanks for taking your time making the editor!

Also, after looking at the version notes, you didn't mention that you changed the formula for ratings from version 12.6 to 14.6.

I tested it a few times, and inputting the same stats results in decently lower scores in version 14.6.

That would be the bench/part-time player penalty mentioned here.

Even if I forgot to mention a formula change, I don't think I'm obliged to post it.

Another thing is that hot & cold zones are completely random. If you hit calculate ratings with the same stats entered, the hot & cold zones change randomly, it's not really based off any real stats.

They're based off stats. Where the red/blue/grey squares go is completely random.

Sorry for the constructive criticism, and thanks for taking your time making the editor!

It's all done on purpose, so it won't be fixed. If you still don't like it, you don't have to use it.

No need to take offense. I was offering up some advise to help you improve and/fix your utility. I figured that this would be the best place to discuss your it, being the official thread.

As for the red / blue / gray grid of hot & cold zones, making them completely random doesn't make too much sense. Those zones are usually somewhat unique for each individual player, based off their play style, swing, batting stance, etc... and most importantly, what their batting average is when they are pitched to in those locations. In order to find players actual hot & cold zones you can go to mlb.com and pay for their game day package. (There's probably some other site out there also. - If anyone knows one, please share the link!)

More importantly though is that the calculator now crashes after the latest Windows Vista update as mentioned above. I figured you might want to know that, as it might be affecting more people than just me.

Thanks again for making the utility!

No need to take offense. I was offering up some advise to help you improve and/fix your utility. I figured that this would be the best place to discuss your it, being the official thread.

As for the red / blue / gray grid of hot & cold zones, making them completely random doesn't make too much sense. Those zones are usually somewhat unique for each individual player, based off their play style, swing, batting stance, etc... and most importantly, what their batting average is when they are pitched to in those locations. In order to find players actual hot & cold zones you can go to mlb.com and pay for their game day package. (There's probably some other site out there also. - If anyone knows one, please share the link!)

More importantly though is that the calculator now crashes after the latest Windows Vista update as mentioned above. I figured you might want to know that, as it might be affecting more people than just me.

Thanks again for making the utility!

No one is forcing you to use my calculators. You can use the Gameday package or FoxSport's HotZones.

If you have a magical formula that will calculate what a batter hits in the lower right hand corner against righties, then I'd be more than happy to include it.

I'm not going to bother changing anything because it works fine for me.

• 2 months later...

Hey Dylan, is there any works on having the spreadsheet conversion available for the Batting/Pitching Calculators?

Well, almost three months after Andy asked, it's finally up!

My Batter Rating Calculator with the Import/Export to file feature (AKA spreadsheet conversion) is available to download.

Also new to this version...

- Ground-ball%/Line-drive%/Fly-ball%/HR% vs. Left/Right

- Spray chart information (LF%/CF%/RF%) vs. Left/Right

- Chase/Take/Miss data

As well, the import/export feature estimates (does not calculate) platoon splits, so now you don't have to go to crazy depths to find them.

It can be downloaded here.

Enjoy! biggrin.gif

-Dylan

Archived