Mvp Baseball 2005 Defensive Rating Calculator

DylanBradbury

index.php?autocom=downloads&req=display&

File Name: MVP Baseball 2005 Defensive Rating Calculator

File Submitter: DylanBradbury

File Submitted: 6 Dec 2008

File Updated: 20 Mar 2009

File Category: Tools and Editors

This program calculates a player's fielding, range, throwing strength, and accuracy.

All you need to do is fill in the necessary statistics, and the program will calculate the player's ratings, specifically for MVP Baseball 2005.

The calculator will also estimate the innings played, if the user does not input inning data. This is useful for when calculating minor leaguers, as finding innings played data is just about impossible.

==The Import/Export Feature==

Included in the .rar file is a sample inputFielding.csv file. DO NOT RENAME OR EDIT THE FIRST ROW.

Just enter the statistics under each corresponding column:

Name,Level,Position,GP,PO,A,E,Innings.

You can use Excel or many other spreadsheet programs, or use notepad and separate each stat by a comma (,), to enter your stats.

If a fielder's innings played is unavailable just enter 0.

Stats can be found at Baseball-Reference.com, which you can find a link to in the program.

Defensive formulas are HARD to come up with, and I think I did a pretty decent job. Enjoy!

~Dylan

==Version History==

Version 12.10 **CURRENT VERSION**

-Improved some formulae

-Included the highly sought after *Import/Export Feature*

Hey -- if you check The Sports Lodge, I created a range formula back in July or so using The Hardball Times' Revised Zone Rating. Check it out -- you may like it.

Hey Thanks Highlight_Reel.

The problem with the HBT Revised Zone Rating is that it's not easily accessible to old statistics. What do do you think of my Range results? Accurate? Too high? Low?

Well, i was planning on using it a lot yesterday, and the next few days/weeks, but I ran into a problem trying to test some of my rosters. 3 or 4 teams from the 08 mod crash my game at the uni selection screen, so I am trying to figure that out, and fix it first. That way I can test the rosters I am creating as I go. Before now I had only messed with a few teams, but now that I am getting more teams worked on, I am finding some uni issues. Can't play if the game crashes, so I gotta fix that first...

Well, i was planning on using it a lot yesterday, and the next few days/weeks, but I ran into a problem trying to test some of my rosters. 3 or 4 teams from the 08 mod crash my game at the uni selection screen, so I am trying to figure that out, and fix it first. That way I can test the rosters I am creating as I go. Before now I had only messed with a few teams, but now that I am getting more teams worked on, I am finding some uni issues. Can't play if the game crashes, so I gotta fix that first...

Well thanks for being honest Eric! Hopefully someone can help you get your problems fixed.

Anyone else try the Defensive Rating Calculator?

I got it figured out today, but now I have to go to work. I am working on the rosters tonight when I get home. Usually after 2 am, but tonight is most likely gonna be a short night, so as soon as I check it out, I will let ya know... Sorry it can't be sooner, but gots to make some money ;)

I got it figured out today, but now I have to go to work. I am working on the rosters tonight when I get home. Usually after 2 am, but tonight is most likely gonna be a short night, so as soon as I check it out, I will let ya know... Sorry it can't be sooner, but gots to make some money ;)

Hahah no worries about not getting to it sooner! No rush. I just appreciate your opinion.

I'm glad your problem was fixed.

Well, first impression, after messing with a couple of guys I had done with the original one I downloaded a couple of weeks ago 9redoing them with the new one, and comparing to the old ratings)... It looks good. I am not real good with rating players, so for me to tell you how accurate they are, is kinda tough. I was comparing Ryne Sandberg to Joe Morgan, and a few other 2B, since that is one thing you were having an issue with. I know a few versions back, the throwing was horrible, so I was glad to see you change that...

I guess, for me, I'd kinda like to know what the formula for the throwing ratings are. At the very least, what is it based on? Not sure you want to go into specifics or not, but I am just trying to get an idea. I see Sandberg's arm is quite a bit better than Morgan's, for their careers, and I am just wondering what the difference is.

I feel pretty comfortable giving Ryno the ratings I get, and even Morgan for that matter... Though, over their career, Ryno was far better based on the ratings (which I think he WAS better, but maybe not this much)

EDIT: By the way, the reason I ask about the arm ratings is because it seems it might be a tad high for 2B, but then I look at Morgan, and it is quite a bit lower, and I am pretty ok with it. I am just trying to figure out why the big difference, and if Morgan's stats really show a reason his arm is weaker, than maybe Ryno's aren't as high as I thought.

Did that make any sense at all??? lol

Hey Eric!

The formulas are quite complicated, but the general variable I used for each rating:

Fielding: Fielding Percentage

Range: Range Factor

Throwing Strength: Assists

Throwing Range: Errors

Hope this helps.

After playing around with it, I think the second basemen's fielding formula is a bit low.

For Orlando Hudson's Career Numbers, I got a 75 or 10. Maybe a slightly boost?

Yeah, that helps. The basics was all I needed anyway.. Just to get an idea...

Well, the career fielding for 4 of the best ever are this.

Sandberg: 12 (.989)

Morgan: 9 (.981)

Alomar: 10 (.984)

Mazeroski: 9 (.983)

I'd say it is kinda low, yet I am pretty happy with single season ratings... Which, may not be as accurate, but it is what I have been using...

EDIT: Anyway to go back to the multiple settings, where you can set the number of seasons...?

Yeah, that helps. The basics was all I needed anyway.. Just to get an idea...

Well, the career fielding for 4 of the best ever are this.

Sandberg: 12 (.989)

Morgan: 9 (.981)

Alomar: 10 (.984)

Mazeroski: 9 (.983)

I'd say it is kinda low, yet I am pretty happy with single season ratings... Which, may not be as accurate, but it is what I have been using...

EDIT: Anyway to go back to the multiple settings, where you can set the number of seasons...?

Thanks very much Eric for checking out my calculator. I really appreciate it man. I done some tweaking on the second base fielding formula, and I'll release version 9.7 tomorrow.

Thanks as well for the comment on my user page.

Appreciate it bro.

Dylan

I was just doing some third basemen the past couple of days, and I find, in my opinion that they are a little low on throwing accuracy, and fielding. The older one I have they are too good (all 15's and 14's), but on this one they are a tad low (4's and 5's). Some of the guys I am doing would probably fall in the level of a 8-10, IMO...

Right now, it is the only position I am noticing an issue with...

• 1 month later...

Okay folks. Now the calculator will output better results.

I extensively changed the formulas, and now the ratings are distributed using a bell curve or normal distribution. This means that a player's statistics have to be a lot better for a player to earn a 15 rating, or a lot worse to earn a lower rating.

You will see a lot more 9 and 10 ratings, as these are the mean values.

Emath: Sorry I forgot to track this thread, and therefore wasn't notified when you posted on the 2nd of February.

Let me know what you think...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Dylan, good work with the calculators!

But when I put defensive stats in, the arm strength seems to be very low. For example, I put the career stats for Derek Jeter and it gives me a 40 arm strength and a 60 arm accuracy. Now I'm pretty sure Jeter doesnt have a 40 arm strength.

Hey Dylan, good work with the calculators!

But when I put defensive stats in, the arm strength seems to be very low. For example, I put the career stats for Derek Jeter and it gives me a 40 arm strength and a 60 arm accuracy. Now I'm pretty sure Jeter doesnt have a 40 arm strength.

Hey Keith! Thanks for the compliment on my calculators. I put a lot of work into them, and I like to hear people enjoy them.

Unfortunately for Derek Jeter, the ratings are correct. The average MLB shortstop makes 3.02036923 assists per nine innings. Derek Jeter has made about 2.6, quite a bit lower than average, which gives him the 40 rating.

Hope that makes sense.

Archived