Modding Tools For 2k9

Pirate

I think that it would be a good idea for people to start gathering resources regarding modding tools for 2K9.

I think it would be best to get many of these tools and tutorials on our hard drives or on a server just in case the place where they are hosted now goes down. It happens all the time in the NBA Live community.

This is of course assuming the files will be similar to NBA 2K9, but we shouldn't restrict it. If you have a something taht will open the MLB Front Office Manager files, feel free to post those too.

I'll start by posting a link to a tutorial I found. I have this available as a word doc as well.

Head Shape Editing Tutorial

Iff editing tool:

Iff Set

Really great ideas Pirate! From just a pure speculation, these new guys with the 2K series seem to get it, and really give two cents about the fans, from all the stuff I have read.

Not to mention them dropping the price all the way down to get people back, me personally, that says they care and are very confident in their product.

with all that being said, IMHO it would not surprise me the least bit if they made this game very moddable based on all that. At least we hope, it would be a huge move on their part all-around if they did.

Thoughts?

We need to get a programmer to crack the files. I don't know if I speak for anybody else, but I'd be willing to chip into a donation pool that we could send to somebody (such as rglass) that can crack the files...

We need to be able to edit collision data to fix walls such as that hideous one in LF at Nationals Park.

So what if the game files are released as big files? Would we still need an overhaul of tools?

I believe so. The tools we currently use cannot open or extract the .big files from MLB FOM. There are other .big extractors out there and some experiementing may be needed. I fully suspect that we'll be dealing with a format like that of NBA 2K9. Visual Concepts did NBA 2K9 so there is no reason to think it won't be the exact same format.

In my above 1st post in this thread, I firmly believe (or want to believe) that these new developers want/will make this game as modder friendly as possible. I think they really are trying hard to make 2K respectable and buyable again.

I call BS on this. No company wants their game to be easily moddable, they fear customers won't buy the next iteration. Look how long it took to crack Madden and even then it's been tough to do anything with that game.

2K is trying to reach another market to make money, simple as that. They even said that it is a simple port... read that as easy cash. The price drop is because it has no online functionality. It's worth $19.99. The console game with retail at $59.99, take away the console fee of $100 and you have $30.00 for the value of online components and an inflated price point for a larger market. Demand drives cost up.

I'm guessing most of you guys would prefer to mod the stadiums first. 2K isn't very accurate and their advertising campaign is insane.

Since we haven't really gotten to experience much else first-hand - right now the visuals are the first things we know we'd definately want to change.

And the random State Farm ads need to go, yes.

Imaginary building in Wrigley's CF and the massive non-existant wall (in Nat's park, I think) need to go buhbye, if it's ever possible.

Why would they chuck realism for advertising????? JUST PUT THE DAMN AD WHERE ANOTHER AD WOULD HAVE BEEN.

^%$^%#$.

Since we haven't really gotten to experience much else first-hand - right now the visuals are the first things we know we'd definately want to change.

And the random State Farm ads need to go, yes.

Imaginary building in Wrigley's CF and the massive non-existant wall (in Nat's park, I think) need to go buhbye, if it's ever possible.

Why would they chuck realism for advertising????? JUST PUT THE DAMN AD WHERE ANOTHER AD WOULD HAVE BEEN.

^%$^%#$.

I also believe we should get around to editing the bat sounds some where in there. I really hope we can get lucky and start modding at least the ads. You never know, we could get lucky.

...RaptorQuiz, how is that ps3 fund going?

I call BS on this. No company wants their game to be easily moddable, they fear customers won't buy the next iteration. Look how long it took to crack Madden and even then it's been tough to do anything with that game.

2K is trying to reach another market to make money, simple as that. They even said that it is a simple port... read that as easy cash. The price drop is because it has no online functionality. It's worth $19.99. The console game with retail at $59.99, take away the console fee of $100 and you have $30.00 for the value of online components and an inflated price point for a larger market. Demand drives cost up.

I kind of agree, however I do know one company that likes their games easily moddable. That company is Valve, and they are known as the best gaming company because of the mods.

If this game does NOT have better online than MVP 05 (which is a game made 4 years ago), then there is no way that I will buy it.

Also, if the company said they put barely any effort in this game, that can't be good news.

MVP has great gameplay, so I will stick with MVP.

I kind of agree, however I do know one company that likes their games easily moddable. That company is Valve, and they are known as the best gaming company because of the mods.

If this game does NOT have better online than MVP 05 (which is a game made 4 years ago), then there is no way that I will buy it.

Also, if the company said they put barely any effort in this game, that can't be good news.

MVP has great gameplay, so I will stick with MVP.

There is no online functionality of any kind in MLB 2K9.

regarding rosters..

Some type of prospect book / prospect site like BA, may be necessary to match up the initials of the (top10) minor league players from each team.

i.e. Buster Posey may be like Bucko Prune

Matt Wieters is Mark Weathers - I already know that one... ;)

It seems the names will be the same as the ones in 2k8 and there's a giant thread here for the real ones.

I'd recommend whoever is going to be doing rosters to get the latest BA Prospect Handbook like sjbushido said. I've got one and it covers the top 30 prospects for each team. It won't get all the minor leaguers, but it will be a start. It's cool that they have real minor leaguers though...

Games for Windows magazine, July 07

mod.png

Games for Windows magazine, July 07

mod.png

I wonder if plans have changed now that VC themselves and not Kush are developing the game. Brinkman isn't running things anymore and he was the one that seemed to be pro-modder. If they want us to mod the game, it wouldn't hurt to let us in on the source code and the file structure... ;)

argh, i hate when companies just do a simple console to pc port.

PC is the best for gaming. However, some companies have been lazy and not have taken any advantage in that...

When they do simple ports, expect problems.

I play a lot of PC FPS games, when a console to pc port comes out, it takes a company at least 3 months to make it actually normal (without being unplayable).

There would be plenty of hardware issues.

Matt Wieters is Mark Weathers - I already know that one... ;)

It seems the names will be the same as the ones in 2k8 and there's a giant thread here for the real ones.

I'd recommend whoever is going to be doing rosters to get the latest BA Prospect Handbook like sjbushido said. I've got one and it covers the top 30 prospects for each team. It won't get all the minor leaguers, but it will be a start. It's cool that they have real minor leaguers though...

this could be of assistance as well.. (from 2Ksport's forum)

some guy is putting together a list of all of the top prospects from each team..

http://2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207198

Not a dumb question at all. I am probably the most skeptical about he modability of this game. We do NOT know if it will be moddable. We assume it can be modded. You cannot mod rosters with textmod. Textmod only replaces graphics. And even then Textmod is not modding.

I am interested in modding mLB 2k9. I don't know how much time I will have but I am hoping that we can begin to edit and mod rosters fairly easily. Although I do caution that NBA 2k9 modding has been rather unimpressive. The biggest need is for a roster editor/

Hey,

Has anyone considered asking flyingfinn about a roster editor for mlb 2k9. He was the person who designed the NFL 2k5 roster editor. I know he was working on an editor for NBA 2k9 for the PC.

He promissed the NBA editor when the game came out, but hasn't released anything.

Archived