The Mlb 2k9 Impressions Thread

Trues

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I grabbed MLB 2k9 for PC at the local Best Buy just after they opened this morning.

My thoughts so far.....

GAMEPLAY

Gameplay looks pretty smooth to me so far. I like it. Players seem to move and act with the right balance of gravity and weight. I would say probably

8 out of 10.....

Gameplay is hard to judge this early but so far so good at least to my satisfaction.

MENUS

My biggest disappointment so far is the menu system. Can be unresponsive at times to the mouse and gamepad. The keyboard shortcuts are necessary to fully navigate the menus.

5 out 10.....

GRAPHICS

Stadiums look nice, players move very fluently. I would say very good graphics but they could be better in my opinion. Some players have good cybers and some look like they need more work. Some players look kinda bland.

7.5 out of 10....

FRANCHISE

All Minors in the game A/AA/AAA/MLB

Only AAA/MLB are playable it looks like. Franchise seems to be very in depth if you like that sort of thing.

Again this is hard to judge without playing the game for a couple days but it looks promising to me.

8 out of 10

OVERALL

I see alot of promise in the game but there are things that will probably frustrate most people. Framerate and Gameplay look very smooth which is a huge plus. If I have heard the rumors right the game should be moddable so I think we have a keeper here... We just have to go to work....

I am running the following rig with no problems lag or stutter wise.

Intel E2180 Dual Core 2.0 Ghz Standard Clocked

2 Gb Memory

GeForce 8600 GT 256 Mb

Game looks and plays well. I havent had any performance issues whatsoever with it so far....

That is my prelim review on it. Any questions ask away I will try to answer...

Correct...The admin at 2K says it clearly states that they DO NOT support wireless controllers.

I have an 360wireless controller that gets halfway recognized...This I hope is fixable..but they said they told us? Oh well...still have the ol' trusty logitech!

LINK:: http://2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209355

By the way, if you love this stylish sig...talk to the man, KG!

I just got it, installing now!

Impressions of the PC version only please.

What didn't you understand about this request? This thread is for what people think about the new game, not for you to let us know you are installing it.

Please use this thread from now on to give your opinions of the new game. Thank you.

Correct...The admin at 2K says it clearly states that they DO NOT support wireless controllers.

I have an 360wireless controller that gets halfway recognized...This I hope is fixable..but they said they told us? Oh well...still have the ol' trusty logitech!

You've got to be kidding me ... no support for wireless controllers? 2k still thinks it's 1995 apparently. Well, it seems like I'll be going back to good old MVP baseball.

sorry about that Y4L, back to impressions now.

You've got to be kidding me ... no support for wireless controllers? 2k still thinks it's 1995 apparently. Well, it seems like I'll be going back to good old MVP baseball.

sorry about that Y4L, back to impressions now.

Techinically that is an impression, in that, no wireless support leaves a bad impression on everyone who is in the 21st century...LOL

(From the other topic)

The game seems buggy. In two games, I ran into the following problems:

- With the Orioles, I had an error with Brian Roberts... the ball went past third base and got stuck in between the rolled-up tarp and the wall. I couldn't get back there to get it, and every runner scored.

- With a runner on first, the computer team singled into right field. I threw it back in, but the game wouldn't continue. I didn't know what was up, so I threw to first base and the runner was out. It was really strange. It's like he rounded first a little bit and then got stuck there.

- Someone (I think Geovany Soto) singled into right field, and Ryan Ludwick threw him out before he got to first... ugh...

Beyond that, other stuff that sucks: I'm pretty sure the PC version is missing features. I didn't see an option to add custom music to pitcher entrances / batter walk-up's. I know this is in The Show, but I thought I read it was in 2K as well. I think the PC version is also missing gameplay changes. I didn't see an option to switch to classic hitting, or the three-stage pitching. I didn't look that extensively, but I don't think it's there. I wasn't able to get Hitter's Eye to show up at all, either. I tried all of the buttons, but none of them triggered that...

As far as positives go...

The game looks really good. It seems like it's a good port (but then again, at this stage it seems like a good port of a mediocre game). It's really smooth. The presentation is awesome. They constantly change views, and it really does seem like you're watching a TV telecast. The engine the game runs on is nice. It feels a lot more realistic than MVP's.

Honestly, for $20 I would recommend giving it a shot. I think the game will grow on me the more I play it.

I will post more after I get more time put in... I've only played two games thus far.

Ok, so I am going to be nice and throw my hat into the ring for reviews. I don't post much, but I am a lurker:)....a few things to be said first...

Many of the boards I am reading have wayyyy too many 10 yr olds/whiners/complainers etc. I started my baseball gaming with Roger Clemens for the NES. I can't believe how much people complain about baseball games these days, these game are an amazing and fairly accurate replica of America's past time. Remember, it's just a game!!

I would say my credentials include playing nearly every series from the show to rbi baseball to griffey to triple play to high eat to wsb on and on and on. My favorite game, as many would agree, is MVP Baseball 2005 for the PC.

That said here goes..

I played the 'play now' matchup as the D'Backs at home against the Blue Jays...I am just going to bullet all the points I want to bring up, rather than 3 essay length paragraphs with grammar errors galore...

Final

Jays 0 7 1

DBacks 1 6 1

Pitching

- I struck out 6 with Webb in 7 inn. I thought it was a good/very good representation of batter/pitcher interaction. The computer does not make contact as much as other users are saying. I am an actual pitcher in baseball, and believe it or not smart pitching goes a long way in this game.

-That said, the inside edge is really cool. You can break down the pitcher and batter in several authentic ways which can really help you in big situations. The tenancies are realistic and are implemented well.

- Pitch counts are a little low. If your pitcher gets into a zone you will not throw many balls. However, you do need to utilize balls or you will get hit. When composure gets low (I was in a big jam in the 7th) the cursor shakes and pitching gets tougher. I think that is really neat and useful.

- Going to the pen and what not is as easy as MVP and very simple.

Batting

-Hitting is tough at first. I liked this style when it first came out with NCAA baseball from EA a few years ago, and I think it was implemented a little better with that game. There doesn't seem to be a penalty for loading up early, but maybe it is there but just not noticable.

-Pitch speeds are about right. I was way ahead of some off-speed, and way behind some fastballs. It may be a little fast for some, but I like the realism.

-The cpu pitcher will throw balls, however they can be tough to figure out. Took me a while to get used to picking out balls in MVP at first, but it seems really tough to lay off pitches in this game.

-In addition to that, I am about positive hitter's eye does not work for PC. I checked the manual direction's and pressed about every darn button during my hitting but no dice. I think that is very necessary to help with walks and is actually true to life when you think about it, especially for veteran hitters.

-Ground balls slow down way too much. It is hard to get a groundball through the infield as they lose way to much momentum

-Power seems accurate. I hit one ball to the wall, no dingers. Cpu also hit one to the wall. Didn't see many balls scorched or big gappers though. Also not a great variety of hits thus far, but hey it was just one game.

Fielding

-This got the worst impression to me so far. There are some herky jerky aninmations going after balls in the outfield. Also Upton just flat out missed a two hopper to him which they called a triple and never should have happened.

-Throwing to the bases is a little touchy, I think it's harder than it needs to be to get throws in the green.

-Players get way to big of a jump on the ball. I was catching foul line drives like my 3b was playing there already, and the computer showed way to much off the bat range.

-Animations were very slick and realistic.

Presentation

-This aspect was VERY well done.

-The commentary was fantastic and non-repetitive. Probably the best I have heard in a video game in a long time.

-Real time lighting is fantastic, really makes me feel like I am watching the game on TV.

-Camera angles were fairly good, but the fielding camera looks a little weird.

-The liveliness of the crowd and reactions of other players was also done great, although there were a couple of little things that didn't make sense.

-Stadiums and jerseys could use a little modding, hopefully that will happen (fingers crossed)

-Lots of nice little things. For instance, Byrnes popped up to the catcher with 2 outs, and slammed his bat, pretty cool.

Couple randoms

-Plenty of sliders to tinker with, although some seem confusing

-The game slows down for some of the cut scenes, but smooth during play for my computer anyway

-Not many options on the game for turning on/off the little things

-Baserunning is easy. The icon is stupid in my opinion, and VC certainly should have copied the now ancient but best picture in picture system. The stealing is neat but difficult

and drumroll please...

My itty bitty thing to whine about that no one cares about (just to be like several other posters haha)

THEY DIDN"T HAVE BALL BOYS/GIRLS. I loved that in last year's game, and I AM a ballboy for an MLB team so I always said that was me in the game haha. Utterly dissapointing

Ok that was basically the summary. Just a few tips.

As for the controller. Just use an old PS2 controller and hook it up through a USB converter from radio shack. I did it with MVP and NBA 2k9 and it works like a charm now. It's simple plug and play.

For 20 bucks, you guys are nuts not to buy this. Help them out for supporting PC gamers, this is amazing for 20 bucks even if it had flaws up the ying yang.

I probably will think of more things, but that's all I am going to say to help you PC gamers on the fence or just looking forward to the game.

Hey maddux, that used to occur to me with NBA 2K9. However, I figured out how to correct. You have to turn the controller on after the game is fully loaded up at the main menu. Once you do this all the controls should work properly. Well, at least that worked for me with NBA.

I use the xbox wireless controller and I just had to configure it but it works like a charm. I've also been playing nba 2k9 PC since October so not sure what's going on.

How do i get rid of that yellow bat when I'm batting.

When modders get a hold of this game, whoa! For 20 bucks you can't lose with this pick up.

My first impressions are positive so far. Kinda hard to be to subjective about this.

They implemented proper widescreen support! I'm so happy that they didn't overlook this like so many game studios do. Some of the stadiums are hit and miss. CBP looks excellent, as does Petco and Dodger Stadium looks decent. I love the detail in the dugout areas. There are some minor innacuracies that die hards will notice. Fenway looks like it was from 2004. Metrodome looks like crap but I dunno if it's because it looks like crap in real life. I am really impressed with the lighting and bokeh blur or whatever you call it. The modeling for uniforms isn't bad but the texture work could be tweaked. The player faces are hit or miss. The 3d crowd looks good. I like how some try to react fly balls. The dust effect is kinda arcady, like the Big O mentioned. A little unrealistic and maybe tad too strong.

The ui looks great but sometimes the mouse is buggy, you'll accidentally click something by mistake even though the cursor is right on top of it.

I can't comment on gameplay yet since I keep wanting to play this like mvp05. This is the most important part, i'll give it a decent run through.

Always confuses me with the AXIS controls and stuff...Is it really just that simple?

Also, looks like a Braves uni in your avatar? Did you see Tim Hudson on AAA..? How can I manually add him to the Majors Rotation? I can figure out how to send guys down, but never bring anybody up, or trade from minors..

Always confuses me with the AXIS controls and stuff...Is it really just that simple?

Also, looks like a Braves uni in your avatar? Did you see Tim Hudson on AAA..? How can I manually add him to the Majors Rotation? I can figure out how to send guys down, but never bring anybody up, or trade from minors..

Only got to play 2 games, hopefully will be able to play a little more tonight.

wow, i'm not too happy they decided to go with securom disc check instead of steam registration for DRM. i hate games that require discs in the drive all the time, i really liked nba 2k9's way of steam registration, why did they change things for mlb?

imo this just invites more piracy. ppl can easily crack exe's, whereas steam can't be cracked.

Archived