Achievements/trading Cards

pitchleague

I'm actually enjoying the game thus far. It's been nice to read threads here and on other boards to get tips to "work around" some of the bugs. Incidentally, I did the direct download version through gamespot; is there any difference between it and the retail version? I only ask this because I have come upon hardly any of the listed bugs so far in a week's time with the game.

Anyways, getting to my question: I have never played a game with achievements before or the trading cards. What are they for? I thought I read that these achievements/trading cards are just for the online play so you can make custom teams or something. Is this true? What purpose do they serve on the PC game? I haven't really checked them out yet except for paging through them and the VIP section and the trophy room, etc. If you "unlock" something what benefit do you get? Isn't that kind of an "arcade" kind of thing? I just don't understand it, I guess.

Man, I haven't posted on the boards here in quite a while!

and then you can play with those "teams" of guys? Seems to "arcade-like", as I stated before, which, in my opinion is a dumb element of a video game. But I'm sure other people enjoy it, I guess.

it's just for fun. you can create your own team with these players. you have to achieve a certain goal to unlock them. eg. you have to pitch seven perfect innings to unlock josh beckett etc. but you don't have to make the team and play with it, you can just collect cards if you want. or play with custom sliders and not collect them. trophies don't add bonuses to your game, they just track your game and reward you for some milestones and stuff. doesn't reflect on gameplay at all.

thank you, sir, for the kind reply to my post. It answered my questions for the most part. I just was unsure if there was any other meaning behind the cards.

I appreciate the answer. No this is not sarcasm. It is always refreshing to post on this board and a handful of others that don't just flame people but have knowledgeable and helpful people on board.

Again, thank you.

okay, now I'm confused about something. I've customized the sliders a bit while dinking around with the game and the message pops up that "achievements can not be accumulated unless you are on PRO difficulty level or better" (or something like that.) No big deal, so I don't get achievements or trophies or trading cards.

But then after I played a game last night, two trophies unlocked and a bunch of "starter" cards unlocked! So, I'm confused since I thought it said you couldn't get those in a by using a "custom" difficulty.

okay, now I'm confused about something. I've customized the sliders a bit while dinking around with the game and the message pops up that "achievements can not be accumulated unless you are on PRO difficulty level or better" (or something like that.) No big deal, so I don't get achievements or trophies or trading cards.

But then after I played a game last night, two trophies unlocked and a bunch of "starter" cards unlocked! So, I'm confused since I thought it said you couldn't get those in a by using a "custom" difficulty.

i think you still get trophies but not cards. you have something like a "starters" deck and that explains why you have a bunch of guys unlocked. if you flip the card in the album you'll see there's no requirement for that card. when you unlock a card in a game you get a message that you unlocked it ;)

Archived