Total Conversion Mods

Yankee4Life

• 1 month later...

This morning the 1958 Major League Baseball season was released and is now part of the Total Classics family here at Mvpmods and available for download right here.

Total Classics 1958 was created by Jim825 and Dennis James and if you liked their work in the 1941 mod then you will love what they did here.

As the 1941 season stood out in baseball fan's memories so has the 1958 season, but for different reasons. This was the very first year that no National League games would be played in Ebbets Field and the Polo Grounds and many older New Yorkers, even to this day, have not forgotten -let alone forgiven- the uprooting of their ball clubs.

At least the 1958 season ended with some normalcy. The New York Yankees, after being down three games to one in the World Series, came back to win the final three games to beat the Milwaukee Braves in a thrilling seven game series. This series victory was especially important for the Pinstripes because they defeated the team that beat them in the 1957 Fall Classic. This World Series by the way was the last time that Casey Stengel would ever win a World Championship.

As you can see there is so much history behind the 1958 season, so many stories involving rising players and rising teams and they are all here in this mod. The installation of this mod is extremely simple as I have said many times in the past. Old hands at this can do it in their sleep and newer people need to listen closely. As it says in the directions, you need a clean copy of Mvp 05 to install the mod into. The installer that Jim has provided does all the work so all you need to do here is sit back and watch it do its job.

After the initial splash screen that shows the large turnout of people welcoming the Dodgers to Los Angeles you get into the game and the music that perfectly captures how it was back then begins to play through your computer speakers. Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Bobby Darin and Jerry Lee Lewis just to name a few. An excellent choice of music for this mod.

The game that I played that will be featured in this write-up was between the visiting Pittsburgh Pirates against the Cincinnati Redlegs at Crosley Field. This was the final year that the ballclub was referred to as the "Redlegs." From 1953 to 1958 they were known by this name because somebody somewhere thought that if the team was known as the Reds that people may think they were Communist. That's a true story and if you are thinking that is one of the dumbest things you've ever heard you're right.

The Legends of the Booth mod is already included here so you won't have to worry about installing it. Dennis James made the uniforms and they are crisp and sharp and good looking. Like I usually do when I play a game with his uniforms I find myself pausing the game way too often just to see how good they look. The loading screens portray players that made their mark in 1958 and during the 1950's in general. As far as I am concerned Dennis and Jim get the credit for this because they have to decide where these photos are placed and which ones are seen the most.

The 1958 mod plays very well and if you are looking for any problems with this mod I can only think of one. If you have a dynasty going in another mod and you just want to check out this mod, watch out. You just might want to start a new one right away.

Give this mod a try today and just as important, thank those two guys for what they did.

Welcome to Total Classics 1958!
1958TC01.jpg

1958TC02.jpg

1958TC03.jpg

1958TC04.jpg

1958TC05.jpg

• 3 months later...

I love updating this thread because it means that another total conversion mod was released. This time it is the 1984 mod which you can download by following this link right here.

The same modding team that produced the 1958 mod and the 1941 mod are responsible for this one too so you know right there that mod is going to be good even before you install it because Jim825 and DennisJames71 were behind it.

Personally I do not think there is enough I can say about the contributions these two modders have given to this game and the best thing that they can get from all the work they have done is a thank you and maybe some feedback. Sadly this hardly happens and since I've touched on this in the past this is all I will say about it here because this is all about the 1984 mod and what is in it.

As always, installing these mods onto your hard drive is extremely easy. Please have a clean (or fresh) and unmodded version of Mvp baseball available and all you have to do is direct the installer as to where you want it installed and you are finished. The 1984 season is all set and ready to go.

One thing you have to say about Jim and Dennis is that they pick seasons that have stuck out for one reason or another. The Dimaggio streak in 1941, Ted Williams' final average, Brooklyn's first pennant in twenty-one years made for a great mod. And the 1958 mod that had for the first time ever two California teams and the only reason why that happened was because the National League turned their backs on the city of New York.

But, 1984. What a year. The Detroit Tigers played like they were competing against single A ball teams all year. By winning thirty-five of their first forty games they effectively ended any race for the AL East crown for the remainder of the year. Not until 1985 did teams in that division feel like they had a chance. That is how dominate Detroit was. With the acquisition of Rick Sutcliffe at the trading deadline the Chicago Cubs really took off and won the NL East division, their first ever. Sutcliffe went 16 - 1 for Chicago and won the NL Cy Young award. Not bad for someone who for the first few months of that year was in the American League. In New York twenty-three year old Don Mattingly of the Yankees and Dwight Gooden, who was only nineteen, were just getting started.

As with every single season mod I have played the first thing I notice is the music that is chosen for that mod. That is very important for me. What For example, say if you are going to play a game in the 1941 mod and as soon as you get in to it you hear Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple. It doesn't belong. The proper music for any mod is very important and the music they picked here was perfect. Pat Benetar, Van Halen, Huey Lewis and John Cafferty, just to name four. The top artists of that year. Now you are ready for some baseball, 1984 style.

The uniforms were made by Dennis James so that means they look even better than the actual ones worn thirty years ago and if you take a look at photos of the Seattle Mariners and Oakland A's players at this time you will agree. You'll also get a chance to play some games in beautiful Tiger Stadium and classic Yankee Stadium. There are many old stadiums in both leagues that are not around anymore but still stand strong in this mod and thanks to Dennis James they all look great.

I played an exhibition game at Wrigley Field in Chicago between the Expos and the Cubs and like we will be seeing very soon when the season opens, the ball was flying out of that ballpark and a lot of runs were scored. I almost didn't want the game to end because it was so good and the Cubs just held on in the ninth to beat Montreal by a run.

The overall appearance in this game is wonderful. The overlay made by Trues is a carbon copy of the graphic that NBC Sports had during that time. Nothing flashy or overdone. All it did was tell you the score, count, the inning and how many were out. What else did you need to know?

Like I do with other mods that I play I have a baseball reference book nearby when I am playing because I am always asking myself "whatever happened to..." and then I pause the game and look up the player. That's what I asked myself about Leon Durham, the big first baseman of the Cubs. He had a hell of a year that season but was out of the game for good five years later. This is one thing I personally recommend to people who enjoy playing these mods.

Final verdict for this mod: I am forced to settle for five stars here even though this deserves many more.

Thank you Jim and Dennis and every single modder who contributed to this.

Welcome to Total Classics 1984!
01TC84Welcome.jpg

02TC84Raines.jpg

03TC84Moreland.jpg

04TC84Flynn.jpg

Ok Y4L, you are officially scaring the hell out of me...I played this same exact game last night (Expos @ Cubs). :o I was using the Expos' Gullickson versus Steve Trout on the Cubs. Another excellent synopsis and set of screenshots. Thank you sir!

Wait a minute. -- You mean we actually get to play games with these mods?? :o

I thought that as modders we were supposed to spend months (or years in the case of TC1984) developing the mods, release them, celebrate for an hour or two patting ourselves on the back for another job well done and then start working on the next mod.

Nobody told me that we could play games like everybody else! :fool:

You are right Jim825! Do not allow yourself to be swayed by rebellious modders who actually PLAY their mods. Keep chanting to yourself, "I am a MODDER...I am a MODDER!" Give yourself an additional hour of patting yourself on the back and that should do it. Shame on those guys for casting temptation in front of you! MOD on BRO!! :) :)

Wait a minute. -- You mean we actually get to play games with these mods?? :o

I thought that as modders we were supposed to spend months (or years in the case of TC1984) developing the mods, release them, celebrate for an hour or two patting ourselves on the back for another job well done and then start working on the next mod.

Nobody told me that we could play games like everybody else! :fool:

You know Jim there was something I wanted to tell you all those years ago and you just reminded me what it was.

Go play your game and see for yourself that the mods you do make you lose track of time when you play them. :)

Thank you again.

You are right Jim825! Do not allow yourself to be swayed by rebellious modders who actually PLAY their mods. Keep chanting to yourself, "I am a MODDER...I am a MODDER!" Give yourself an additional hour of patting yourself on the back and that should do it. Shame on those guys for casting temptation in front of you! MOD on BRO!! :) :)

That's why I'm on year 5 of my TC1978 Yankees dynasty. I don't mean that I'm in the 5th season of the dynasty. I mean that I STILL haven't finished the dynasty I started 5 years ago! :o

I'll go months at a time between playing and then I may find the time to play a game or two. My goal was (and still is) to play all 162 games, plus the playoffs, and right now, I'm about 130 games into the season.

• 2 months later...

It's been a few months since this thread has been updated but with the release of Total Classics 1997 it is my pleasure to revive this thread to go over the wonderful job that Kyleb did in creating this mod.

I imagine it must have been very bittersweet for Kyleb (a devoted Indians fan) to work on this mod because the Indians in 1997 were a team that could score runs in bunches without breaking a sweat and they had a pitching staff that was more than capable of holding their own. They got hot at the right time as they beat the Orioles and Yankees in the playoffs only to shockingly lose the seventh game of the World Series to of all teams, the Florida Marlins who at that time were only a part of the National League since 1993. Not until four years later in the Arizona desert would the deciding game be determined more drastically then what we saw in 1997.

This is just a brief synopsis of what 1997 was like and Kyleb did his best to re-create it in this mod and I believe he succeeded. If any of you had the pleasure of playing the Mvp 2012 mod or the Mvp 2013 mod you will already be familiar with the quality of work that Kyleb puts out.

The uniforms in the game were done by Dennis James and just knowing that he did them adds style and class to any mod that he is a part of. Jim825 was kind enough to package up this mod and create the installer for it.

As a reminder for newer people here you will need a newly installed copy of Mvp 2005. This copy of the game should not have any mods installed in it at all. You unpack the 1997 mod and you then direct the installer to where you want this mod installed to. When it's done that means you are done. Start your game, get your gamepad and you are good to go.

Since this mod was released there have already been four cyberface updates to it (Juan Gonzalez of Texas, Roger Clemens of Toronto and Jose Mesa and Manny Ramirez of Cleveland) and there has been another overlay made just for this mod.

The music chosen for this game couldn't be any better and it is difficult for me to describe here in words but it is just how I remember how the music was during that time and that's why it fits so well.

If you decide to use the Tampa Bay Devil Rays or the Arizona Diamondbacks in this mod you will be able to and not able to at the same time. As we all know these two teams did not begin play until 1998. Both teams have no players listed on their respective rosters. You can choose these teams to play a game but that's as far as you're going to go here. Kyleb has said this was intentional on his part. The final thing is that he had trouble with the stats, so you will see that everyone's final numbers for 1997 are blank.

The exhibition game that I played for this review was the American League Champion Indians going to Oakland to play the Athletics. Both starting pitchers had a hard time on the mound. Cleveland's starter was Orel Hershiser and although he was pushed around by the Athletics while surrendering six runs, he still won the game for Cleveland. Oakland's starter was Ariel Prieto but he only lasted 1 1/3 innings because David Justice hit a hard line drive up the middle and fractured Prieto's right leg. So much for Prieto. Five Oakland pitchers took the mound and five Oakland pitchers combined to give up thirteen hits and ten runs to the Tribe.

I recommend this mod for fans of Mvp baseball and if you are a Total Classics fan like myself you have to have this mod. It is well worth it.

Thank you Kyleb and all the contributors to this mod. :)

Welcome to Total Classics 1997!
01TC97.jpg

02TC1997.jpg

03TC1997.jpg

04TC1997.jpg

05TC1997.jpg

• 2 months later...

Recently a modder named chunyanlin announced the release of the Mvp Asia Series 2014. This was a collective effort of a group of Asian modders to create a mod with an Asian feel to it and after playing only one game in it I have to say that they succeeded.

The mod itself is not hosted here but you can follow this link here to get it. It's hosted on Mediafire and there are six parts to it.

Installation for this mod is very simple and all I did was extract it to the directory that I wanted it in and that was that. Everything is provided for you here except for the EXE file for the game. No big deal, I just grabbed one from my other installs and I was ready to dive into this. That's all it took to get this going.

This mod is built off of the Mvp 2012 mod that was made here a few years back and permission was granted by those modders to allow the Asian team to create their mod. If permission was not granted this review would have never been written. Personally I am very impressed that chunyanlin and everyone that he worked with on this mod took the time to ask to use the 2012 mod as a base because there is another group of modders who have been taking the work done by the modders here without permission and passing it off as their own. So, thank you to the Asian team for doing the right thing.

That aside, let's get into what this mod has and does not have.

All the Japanese, Korean and Taiwanese teams are included in this mod along with two independent leagues and National teams. They must have had a small army of uniform makers because there are over three hundred uniforms in that mod and that is no exaggeration. I checked over quite a few teams before I played my first game and the options for each team is quite a lot.

But as much time as they spent creating the Asian team uniforms that is as much time they did not spend creating any new stadiums for this mod. Every stadium that was part of the 2012 mod was present in this mod too. The game that I played between the Saitama Seibu Lions and the Hiroshima Carp was played at the Carp's "home" ballpark which was Oriole Park at Camden Yards in Baltimore. The only Asian stadium included in this mod is the Tokyo Dome and the only reason for that is that it was part of the 2012 mod. If it wasn't part of that mod that would have never made it. Believe it or not they didn't even include the >Seibu Dome that Salva made back in 2008. This was the only part of the mod that I found to be lacking.

The loading screens, cyberfaces, portraits and mod overlay were very well done and they should be proud of what they accomplished here because the work in these areas look great. But what really made this mod stand up to show everyone how good it is and good it has the potential to be is the music that was part of it. The music included here gives you a clear idea of how much the people in Asia love their baseball. Between every pitch there is something going on. You will hear cheering, chanting, singing, horn blowing and music being constantly played but not to a point where you are tired of it. I recommend that you play with the Mvp announcers off to take full advantage of this because Kuiper and Krukow do not fit in this game.

The walk-up music is very well done and the songs chosen for the jukebox are songs that I have never heard before in my life but whoever chose them for this mod picked the right ones because they fit the style and atmosphere of this game perfectly.

As I said I played an exhibition game between the Saitama Seibu Lions and the Hiroshima Carp and the Carp won the game on a two-out single in the bottom of the ninth. Besides being a pitchers duel which is my favorite type of game, this game was enjoyable to play because of the things they included in this. This one is definitely a keeper.

Screenshots

Welcome to Mvp Baseball Asia Series 2014
Asia01.jpg

Asia02.jpg

Between innings as the Saitama Seibu Lions and the Hiroshima Carp are scoreless. As you can see the game is being played in Baltimore.
Asia03.jpg

Asia04.jpg

Nice looking overlay for the Asia Series.
Asia05.jpg

Mvp Baseball Asia Series Continued

Asia06.jpg

Asia07.jpg

This speedy Lions hitter was trying to stretch his hit into a triple and as the screen capture shows, this is exactly what he did but the third base umpire called him out.
Asia08.jpg

The guys that made this mod made a major upgrade on the uniforms worn by the umpires. Great job.
Asia09.jpg

What is good for the Carp is good for the Lion: Saitama is the beneficiary of a bad call this time as a bad throw by the second baseman makes the shortstop lung for the ball which drove him off the bag. The umpire did not see it that way and the force was made.
Asia10.jpg

• 1 month later...

Mvp Baseball just got a little bit better last week with the release of the

by Dennis James and Daflyboys. This mod was a season-long effort by Dennis James and as he explained in the mod description this project was put off by a lengthy layoff. Translation: he was swamped with a lot of work from his job. Thankfully Dennis never let go of what he started and the result is this brilliant mod.

The rosters here are just about as accurate as you are going to find anywhere. They are based on the major and minor league rosters as of September 14th. This is a very difficult thing to accomplish but daflyboys and ENCBase13 made it look a lot easier than it actually was.

Mvp users who have seen the steady stream of cyberfaces and portraits by Rising Sun will be happy to know his contributions have been included in this mod also.

Installing this mod is different from what people have been used to doing around here because there is no installer provided but that does not make it any less difficult. To put it as simply as I can all you need is a clean and unmodded copy of Mvp Baseball. Mvp 14 will update the DATA folder there and you will then have the Mvp 2014 mod. In fact, what you are downloading from the file hosting services that Dennis has provided (from 4Shared, Copy and two links from Mediafire) is the updated DATA folder. That's it and that is all you need here. Just extract that downloaded DATA folder to the directory where you have your clean copy of the game and overwrite everything in that DATA folder and everything will be good to go.

Dennis has anticipated questions about this mod and that is why he set up a question and support thread. If you have questions about anything concerning this mod that is where you have to address them and not where you download the mod.

Ok, we are all set, let's get into the mod.

A quick glance at the music chosen for the jukebox told me two things. First, I have no idea who any of these artists are since I never heard of them and secondly it didn't matter because they sounded ok to me. So, on we go to choosing teams and playing a game.

I played a game between the Chicago Cubs and the San Diego Padres at Petco Park in San Diego. I chose those two teams because I wanted to see some of the up-and-coming players on the Cubs and I wanted to use a lousy hitting team that was even worse than the New York Yankees. I was not disappointed. The Cubs won 3 - 1 and just about every time the Padres got runners on base they aided Chicago by grounding into double plays. They played the part of the helpful host very well.

The uniforms and stadiums were just as you would expect them to be because Dennis did them and after my game was over I kept on re-starting the game just to see the different loading screens and the work he did in that area can not be overlooked either.

Dennis may have wanted to release this mod months ago but sometimes your job requires more time out of you. Those things happen. I am grateful that he never abandoned this because then we would never have been able to play this superb mod.

Thank you Dennis and Daflyboys and every other person whose contributions are a part of this mod.

Screenshots

Welcome to Mvp 14!
Mvp14_01.jpg

Mvp14_02.jpg

Screenshot of the Mvp 14 Overlay. As you can see Ian Kennedy has his hands full with the Cubs right now.
Mvp14_03.jpg

Mvp14_04.jpg

Mvp14_05.jpg

• 2 months later...

This week has been a very good week for fans of Total Classics here on this website because the 1977 mod was released by Jim and Dennis James, two modders that I consider the Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig of Total Classics mods.

This mods makes the fourth collaboration between Jim and Dennis as they previously made the 1958, 1941 and 1984 season mods which are featured on the main page of our website.

The installer is the same one made by Jim that has been used in previous mods. All you need to do is be sure you have a clean (unmodded) version of Mvp on your hard drive and after you have that just point the installer to where it is and you will be all set. And because I have noticed this problem pop up more times than often in the past I have to stress to novice users that if you want to use this mod (or any other) be sure to install it over a clean copy of Mvp and not OVER a current copy of Mvp you already have. For example, don't install this mod over the Mvp 13 mod. Keep that in mind and you'll save some headaches.

Usually it is the music that first grabs my attention when I get into a new mod but this time it was the images that they chose to put in the game.It's not an easy job getting quality photos from this time period even though it was only thirty-seven years ago. Pictures were grainy and not that clear. Newspaper quality as compared to photographic quality that we are used to today. But by adding the Topps 1977 baseball cards in the photos and the touch-ups that had to be done in some of them I was really impressed with the final product because this is not an easy thing to do.

The music chosen for the mod gives it a perfect 1977 feel and it should prove to people and remind some others (including myself) that there was good music made in the 1970's. My personal favorite was the Electric Light Orchestra song Turn to Stone. It was a perfect way to go into a game. Other choices in the Jukebox are Fleetwood Mac, Meatloaf, Bob Seger and Billy Joel.

The uniforms made by Dennis are first class once again. What can be said about his work here that has not been stated one thousand times before? The man is simply a master at his craft.

The exhibition game I decided to play was Boston at New York because those two teams along with Baltimore fought all season for the 1977 A.L. East title and any one of them could have easily won it. The Yankees won this game but they had their hands full with Ferguson Jenkins who pitched seven innings, gave up eight hits and struck out two but still lost because Mike Torrez of New York was just a little bit better.

A great mod. A lot of fun. Thank you Jim and Dennis.

On to 1977.

Welcome to the 1977 Total Classics mod!
1977Mod01.jpg

A modified version of the good-looking ABC Sports logo overlay made for the 1977 mod.
1977Mod02.jpg

1977Mod03.jpg

1977Mod04.jpg

1977Mod05.jpg

1977 Mod Continued

1977Mod06.jpg

1977Mod07.jpg

At the end of seven innings the Yankees are holding on to a slim lead. The last thing you would expect in a game between these two teams during this particular year would have been a pitcher's duel but that's what happened when Ferguson Jenkins of Boston and Mike Torrez of the Yankees did this afternoon at Yankee Stadium.
1977Mod08.jpg

1977Mod09.jpg

1977Mod10.jpg

• 4 months later...

There is a new member of the Total Conversion family and this contribution is from someone new to Mvpmods. Some of you may know him from his work on the NBA series from 2K sports, Hawk233391.

Through a series of PM's with me Hawk was so intent on using the 1993 Chicago White Sox to play a dynasty with that when he found out we didn't have that team anywhere on the site, he went out and did something about it. The closest we had was the 1994 White Sox which can be found in Total Classics Phase 10.

That was fine for Hawk but he still wanted the 1993 edition so he went about making Total Classics 1993 which you can download by clicking right here.

The first thing you will see is the installation of this mod is a lot different then what you are normally used to in a total classics mod. Namely, there is no installer. But that's not a deal breaker because it is an easy mod to get up and running if you follow these simple steps.

1. As always, have a clean copy of Mvp 2005 available.

2. Extract the TC 1993 file and then run the explodeme.exe file.

3 You will then get the DATA folder for TC 1993. Cut and paste that data folder over the one in the clean copy of Mvp that you have and you are all set.

The first thing that usually stands out in any conversion mod is the music the modder chose to include and while Hawk's choices were very good and each song complimented the mod very well, what caught my eye was the tribute to Hory for his work on his 1994 mod that was completed all those years ago.

It would have been easy for him to just thank Hory in the mod description that is on the website but he included his thanks and appreciation on the main page in the game where it could not possibly missed by anyone.

After all that it was time to pick out two teams so I could test out the '93 mod and I randomly chose the California Angels visiting the Toronto Blue Jays at the Skydome.

The Blue Jays were tough back then and with players like Rickey Henderson hitting on that artificial turf in Toronto he was a tough out and he showed it in this game. But Chili Davis of the Angels was no slouch either as he hit two home runs for California. The first got the Angels closer to Toronto after the Jays took an early lead and the second one was a lead off shot in the ninth that gave them a well-earned 7 - 6 victory.

The game plays well, looks good and is a welcome addition to the total classics experience on our website.

Thank you Hawk!

Welcome to Total Classics 1993.
TC9301.jpg

TC9302.jpg

TC9303.jpg

TC9304.jpg