Total Conversion Mods

Yankee4Life

• 5 months later...

Just an update here. I know I am behind here as I have not yet reviewed the 1946 season mod, the Best of the 80's and 90's and the 1927 season mod in this thread. As soon as I have the strength enough to sit down and play a game, I will. Having two surgeries in two months drains a lot of strength out of you, but I'm improving. I am hoping that one day next week I can devote some time to this thread. At least that is my goal.

Next up here is the 1946 season mod which was created by Jim825. You can download 1946 season right here.If you are familiar with Jim's previous works with these season mods, you won't be disappointed at all with this mod. Once again it is a quick and easy install process that eliminates any problems anyone would come across with in installing these mods

The choice of music again is fantastic, just as you would have heard had we been around during this season. The 1946 season is famous for the Red Sox winning their first pennant since 1918 and this was the Cardinals' fourth pennant in the 1940's and their last one until 1964.

Video of Barney McCosky's 9th inning home run.

Screenshots of the 1946 season mod.

Welcome to Total Classics 1946

Ed Stevens of the Dodgers is out at the plate as he tries to score a run in the first inning.

Pee Wee Reese makes a fantastic play at shortstop to throw out an Athletics runner.

Elmer Valo of Philadelphia triples to right field. Valo had two triples in this game.

Carl Furillo is robbed of a base hit by this sliding catch in the fifth inning.

Brooklyn's Pete Reiser. What might have been.

Barney McCoskey hits his first home run of the game to pull the Athletics to within one run of the Dodgers.

1946 Continued.

After giving up three runs in the second inning, Athletics starter Phil Marchildon settled down and shut the Dodgers down the rest of the way.

Barney McCoskey is having a hell of a game. Here he hits Philadelphia's third triple of the game off of Dodger starter Joe Hatten.

The A's tie the score in the seventh via a sacrifice fly.

The Dodgers got the call on this one even though first baseman Ed Stevens was off the bag.

Dixie Walker, the "People's Cherce" for the Brooklyn fans.

Down 5-3 in the 9th, Dixie Walker attempts to get things going with a single.

That's it. The Dodgers are done in this game and the Athletics win 5-3.

Ok, still trying to catch up a little bit. Here is the Total Classics Best of the 80's and 90's mod which was once again created by Jim825 and that crack team of classic modders. This mod can be downloaded right here. Again, the installer is very easy to follow and in no time you will be up and running with this mod.

There are two new teams in this mod that are not in the Total Classics Phase 10 edition. First, the 1985 Champion Kansas City Royals are here and the inaugural 1998 Tampa Bay Devil Rays are included too. I didn't ask Jim, but I would imagine the Devil Rays are here only because it represented all the teams in Major League Baseball. Nothing they did in 1998 was great, but it's always nice to have the very first team to represent Tampa Bay at your disposal in case you wanted to use them. In other words, this does not give a negative light on this mod.

I imagine the reason this mod was released was for the younger users who frequent this website. By using this mod it gives them the total classics experience with players from every team that they have heard of at one time or another. Using the '85 Royals for example. They've all heard of George Brett, so they might use that team. However, if they had Total Classics 10, they may not use the 1905 Giants because of being unfamiliar with the players. This mod gives them Total Classics with people they know.

On to Total Classics, Best of the 80's and 90's.

Welcome to Best of the 80's and 90's. Another great mod by the TC guys.

Jorge Posada doubles into center field off of Texas starter Ken Hill.

Juan Gonzalez singles sharply in the fourth inning.

Andy Pettitte is strong in the early innings as he strikes out this Ranger hitter.

Derek Jeter singles to right field just past the outstretched glove of Will Clark.

That's enough. Texas starter Ken Hill is pulled from the game.

Total Classics Best of the 80's and 90's continued

Ranger pitcher Gil Heredia robs Scott Brosius of a hit with this stab of a liner.

Texas slugger Juan Gonzalez, who had 144 RBI for the division winning Rangers in 1996.

Seventh inning stretch at the old Yankee Stadium.

Jeff Nelson comes in the game in the eighth inning in relief of Andy Pettitte.

Jeff Nelson fans the final batter in the 8th inning as he struck out the side in his first inning of relief.

The 1998 Yankees win.

VIDEO:

Bernie Williams drives in a run via a sacrifice fly.

I didn't ask Jim, but I would imagine the Devil Rays are here only because it represented all the teams in Major League Baseball. Nothing they did in 1998 was great, but it's always nice to have the very first team to represent Tampa Bay at your disposal in case you wanted to use them. In other words, this does not give a negative light on this mod.

Your powers of reasoning are astute as always. :) That's exactly the reason why I included the '98 Devil Rays in the mod.

Next up, the MVP Caribe 2009 mod which was created by that very talented group of modders over at MVPCARIBE.COM The mod can be downloaded over at that site (reminder that you must be a member there to download) or you can download the mod on this site right here. A special thanks goes out to omardj38 for uploading the mod to our website. I've been following the work you guys have done at the Caribe site ever since you started and your entire team of modders that contributes to this mod and the WBC mod that you released last spring are simply amazing. (Please have Hector translate for everyone over at your site to let them know how much their work is appreciated here. Thank you.)

The Caribe guys have created their own installer and this installer is just as easy to use and get around with as the TC installer is. Again you have the choice of having the menus in Spanish or English, so I will leave that decision up to the individual user. I chose English on my setup.

Once you get the mod installed, PLEASE do yourself a favor and watch the Caribe 09 intro that these guys made for this mod. I am not going to give away anything about it, but it is well worth watching. It's the longest intro in any mod yet and once you watch it, you'll want to see it again. Simply fantastic.

As I stated when I reviewed the Caribe 08 mod, this is the most unique mod out there for the MVP gamers to use. This takes nothing away from any other mod, but this is the only mod where you will find all the Caribe teams, players, uniforms, throwback uniforms, stadiums and the exclusive Latin flavor that makes up the Caribe baseball experience.

Porque aqui tambien se juega beisbol. Because here we also play baseball. You guys sure do, and you do an extraordinary job at it too.

Screenshots of the Caribe 09 mod.

Welcome to MVP Caribe 2009!

One of the songs and loading screens in the Caribe mod. These guys went all out to make this mod seem like the experience you would see if you saw a game down there in person.

An unsuccessful pickoff attempt.

The first baseman is drawn off the bag because of a wide throw and the first run of the game scores from third base because of it.

Between innings of the game between the visiting Cangrejeros de Santurce (from Puerto Rico) and the hometown Aguilas del Cibao (from the Dominican Republic.)

The right fielder bobbles the ball but not far enough for anyone to advance.

The visiting Cangrejeros turn an impressive double play to get out of jam.

MVP Caribe 09 Continued.

It's Lima Time as Jose Lima is pitching a great game for the Aguilas.

The Caribe guys even put their own fans in the game. Great job.

Great feed by the pitcher to the first baseman to get the out at first.

The Cangrejeros are wearing a special uniform that honors Pirates Hall of Famer Roberto Clemente. On the front of every player's uniform you will see a #21 there in honor of the fallen Pittsburgh right fielder.

The Cangrejeros score their only run on a double to right center field as Jose Lima begins to tire.

Here's Luis Polonia. This guy's never going to retire.

The Aguilas execute a perfect hit and run here that set up the winning run in their 2-1 victory over the Cangrejeros.

By the way, there is one total conversion mod out there that I have not reviewed and that is the Asia mod that was released a few years back by some of the members of the Gamebase crew. The Asia mod is a combination of the NBL mod (Nippon Baseball League) and other teams in Asia. This mod is in nine parts. That's not the problem with the mod. There is an installer included in the first part of the mod but it is not in English. I am not attempting to install anything without being able to read what I am doing. I don't know how this mod is. I don't know of anyone downloading this and using this mod and I have inquired about this off and on over the years. I have never once seen a screenshot of this mod so I can not sit here and tell you if this is a good mod or not. Just by looking at this mod you can tell it is a poorly put together mod. Why is it in nine parts? Beats me. But even then you can get past it if the directions were given to you in English. I'd love to use this mod just to see how it is, but with the language limitations I can not. There are instructions in English on the first part of this mod, but it requires that you have Total Portraits 2007 and Total Audio 2005. Both files are no longer available for download as far as I can tell. If this can be straightened out or if this mod can be repackaged by the Gamebase team and released again, I'd be happy to include it in here. But as of now, I am not.

Thank you Jim for clearing this up for me. With the lack of responses in here with these reviews, I started to doubt if anyone read these anymore.

I definitely read them, if for no other reason than to see what the mods I create look like when someone is actually playing them! I'm usually too busy thinking about or working on the NEXT mod to have time to play the one I just released. It's the sacrifice I make to keep the members here happy..... ^_^

I definitely read them, if for no other reason than to see what the mods I create look like when someone is actually playing them! I'm usually too busy thinking about or working on the NEXT mod to have time to play the one I just released. It's the sacrifice I make to keep the members here happy..... ^_^

And I appreciate everything you do. I know you have a new mod in the works and to be like everyone else, I will not once ask about the progress of this or anything about it. I know there are a lot of things planned. I recall that some of the 60's mods are going to get a facelift and a few tweaks are going to be added to those existing mods. That should be good too. So patience is the key here and I will talk no more about season mods that are not released yet.

One question I do want to ask you is about that Asia mod I was talking about. Did you ever install that? I think it is safe to say that this mod is the least known mods that have been on this website. And that's too bad.

And I appreciate everything you do. I know you have a new mod in the works and to be like everyone else, I will not once ask about the progress of this or anything about it. I know there are a lot of things planned. I recall that some of the 60's mods are going to get a facelift and a few tweaks are going to be added to those existing mods. That should be good too. So patience is the key here and I will talk no more about season mods that are not released yet.

One question I do want to ask you is about that Asia mod I was talking about. Did you ever install that? I think it is safe to say that this mod is the least known mods that have been on this website. And that's too bad.

I know the mod you are talking about but I never installed it. I'm tempted to modify the description page for the mod just to get rid of the garbage characters that are displayed, but I'm concerned that if I do that, the mod will appear on the front page again and folks will think that it is a new mod, prompting questions about what has changed in it. I guess I'll just let sleeping dogs lie..... :)

I know the mod you are talking about but I never installed it. I'm tempted to modify the description page for the mod just to get rid of the garbage characters that are displayed, but I'm concerned that if I do that, the mod will appear on the front page again and folks will think that it is a new mod, prompting questions about what has changed in it. I guess I'll just let sleeping dogs lie..... :)

Yeah, don't do that because this mod is in nine parts and I don't believe we have all nine parts anymore. As I said before, this is a poorly put together mod. Yeah, you can figure out how to install it by just looking at what is included in the different parts, but my question was why was it released a little at a time? I was just looking at this mod this morning. Part four of the Asia mod only has two files in it. The FEENG.LOC and the INENG.LOC. That's all. Now I am guessing that these are updates to the original files but there is no explanation as to what changes there is to these files or anything else. This mod interests me, but I just can't do anything with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I got MLB 2k9 a few months ago but I never managed to get the keyboard working properly. For example I can't change the home/away stats in the post-game boxscore at all, which I find very weird. It doesn't respond to mouse/keyboard commands in some menus. There are other ingame keyboard setting weirdness too so I gave up with it... maybe it's just my European keyboard layout that causes the problems?

However I'm in love with MVP 2005 and I play the 08 total conversion mod pretty much every day. Because of time limitations I only play 5 out of 9 innings (I wonder if it's a major blasphemy that way lol).

This was my last game, which I actually managed to win (in pro difficulty). I'm slowly getting a grab of this. :)

Boxscore (open with IE/Mozilla)

Technically MLB 2k9 might be nicer (better graphics, etc.) but as a baseball gaming newbie I'd still play MVP 2005 (even without the problems I have with MLB). MVP simply has more "spirit".

Keep up the good work guys!

Hell I might as well say this, how the hell do you have the time/energy to do all these to such perfection Jim?

Thanks for your kind words.

First of all, when I start one of these mods, I know that it is going to take a while (a number of months) to complete the mod, so I take my time and don't set any particular end date. I know that there will be stretches of time where I can work on the mod every night, while there will be others where I can't. I do all the work on a laptop, so I can be in the same room with my family at night. I'm not off in my own cave doing the work, away from everyone else.

Secondly, I don't broadcast that I am working on a mod. I will tell a few people, namely those who I might ask for help (e.g. Yankee763 who creates all the team logos for me) and some others on here who I know will not spill the beans. Again, this allows me to work at my own pace and there is no pressure from those asking for updates or when the mod will be done.

Thirdly, I tend to be a perfectionist -- It's a gift and a curse. With each mod I do, I am continually asking myself what I can do to make it ever better than the last one. What extra touch can I add to increase the "Wow" factor when people use the mod? This can add to the time it takes to create the mod because I may add something small (that only I might notice) and then continue to adjust and tweak it until it looks just right. This could be something as small as adjusting the size of the border on the portraits or cropping (and re-cropping and re-cropping!) a menu screen image (which may only be visible for 5 seconds) so that it doesn't look too stretched out or distorted. Yeah, I know, I have a problem..... :)

Finally, and most importantly, I really enjoy working on these mods. They relax me and I enjoy learning about the players from the particular era I'm modding. I also enjoy learning new modding skills and trying new things as I develop each mod. As soon as these mods feel more like work than a hobby, it will be time for me to retire from modding. Happily, I don't see that happening for quite some time.

Hey Jim825! I'm playing the dynasty mode on TC 1978, and man, that is awesome! Just unbelievable.

Also, Ron Guidry and Nolan Ryan... they are almost unbeatable. Great job on that conversion mod. Kudos to you! :clapping:

I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying the mod. Those two were great that year, as were Palmer and Caldwell as Y4L mentioned.

I don't think I've faced them. I'll keep and eye on them. But since you said they were also as tough, I'm not looking forward to it hahaha.

Palmer finished with 16 complete games that year and a 21-12 record and Caldwell finished with 23 complete games and a 22-9 record. In any other year, they would have been battling for the Cy Young Award, and they did end up finishing 2nd and 3rd in the voting.

Unfortunately for them, Guidry had an otherworldly year, finishing with a 25-3 record, 248 strikeouts (almost double what Caldwell and Palmer had) and a 1.74 ERA and was the unanimous winner, being named 1st on all 28 ballots.

Just think about that for a second Jim. We watched baseball when pitchers actually pitched complete games. I was just a grammar school kid then, but I remember the 1971 Orioles with their four twenty game winners. At that time I didn't think twice about it because I wasn't a Baltimore fan, but I can appreciate it now.