Total Conversion Mods

Yankee4Life

But nice effort. I look forward to the next time you try and stir trouble.. :rolleyes:

I'm just trying to review a mod here and while doing that I was just looking at everything about this mod. I looked at what was in this mod and since some early reviews were posted before I did this, I looked at those too. If you can't deal with that then I blame you entirely. I'm not going to defend every word I say in here and have some joker accuse me of stirring up trouble. If it isn't you it will be someone else. It does get quite boring you know and maybe you should just quit while you are behind.

Also, don't respond to this in this thread. This thread is about reviewing all Total Conversion mods that are available for download on the site. This isn't going to turn into a debate thread between you and I because this thread is not going to be taken off on a tangent like that.

Next up is a revisit of the 1927 mod. This will be a first in this thread by the way - another review of a mod that has been covered here previously. But you will soon see that there is a very good reason for it. The first version of the '27 mod didn't go over so well and I explained the reasons for it. But version 2.0 that was updated by Jim825 give this mod and entire new look and feel.

The 1927 mod, version 2.0 can be downloaded right here.

Among the number of improvements added to this version that the first one either lacked or did not contain at all are correct and accurate rosters as well as the 1927 season schedule. The uniforms are correct in this version as well as updated stadiums and player audio. And Trues contributed a overlay for this version that gives this mod a touch of class because this is a year that is very historical as well as sentimental for baseball fans to this very day. A list of all the improvements can be read on the download page. From audio to time period music to cyberfaces, this here is a major update and well worth having.

So, let's check out version two of this mod and see what we got.

Screenshots

Here's part of Murderer's Row, lead by Lou Gehrig. The Yankees won 110 games that year.

Again, the proper time period uniforms are available in this version. This was not here in the previous one.

Here's Trues' 1927 Classic Overlay for this mod. If any of you have some time, check out how many overlays that he has in the download section. This one has to be in his top five because it fits so perfectly in this mod.

The starting pitcher for Chicago today is Ted Lyons. Lyons had a 21 year career in baseball, all with the White Sox. He was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1955.

The ball gets away briefly from the Sox catcher but Tony Lazzeri does not advance.

Waite Hoyt records one of his strikeouts on the day.

Bob Meusal singles off Willie Kamm's glove in the sixth inning and reaches first safely.

1927 Continued

Any conversation about the '27 Yankee ballclub starts with this man here.

The Babe gets his second hit of the day, this one a double to death valley.

Here's Yankee Stadium. In 1927 this ballpark was only five years old.

White Sox third sacker Willie Kamm again. Kamm had a lifetime average of .281 and had 1,643 hits. He was regarded as one of the top third baseman of his day.

Lou Gehrig makes the putout on a close play to nip this speedy Chicago runner.

No coverage of this mod should go without a notice to this guy here. Simply put, he was one of the greatest Yankees ever.

Here comes George Pipgras to close out this game in the '27 mod. The big difference between the first version of this mod and this one here is this version I won't be deleting as soon as the game was done. This mod has a permanent home on my system.

Some videos from the 1927 mod.

Babe Ruth hits a triple to center field.

Lou Gehrig hits a sacrifice fly that proved to be the winning run in today's game.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello:

I discovered this website 5 years ago, and imediately imported to Mexico a copy of MVP05 for the PC (I already had it for the XBox). Unfortunately I did not have the hardware to run the mods...until now, and let me say just one thing: WOW!!.

I'm just amazed of all the details you guys put into these mods: stadiums, faces, photos, uniforms, even the period music!!!. I'm currently playing 3 dynasties: 1919 White Sox (From TC Walk Through History), 1978 Pirates (From TC 1978) and 1994 Expos (From TC 1994), but I already installed 6 other mods... :p

Thanks for all your hard work, and I'm looking forward to your future projects...

• 1 month later...

Next up, a visit once again to the 1961 season mod which recently has gone under a major facelift. Some of the additions in version 2.0 include updated uniforms for the 1961 season, correct pitch types have been given to all the pitchers in the mod, new cyberface and audio additions and the 1961 All Star team is included also. This is a major upgrade from the first release and you can download version two of the 1961 mod right here.

Without further delay, here is version two of the 1961 season mod.

Screenshots

This Indian hitter is way out in front of an off speed pitch by Whitey Ford.

Cleveland second baseman Johnny Temple makes a good play to throw out a Yankee runner.

Whitey Ford had Cleveland hitters off track all game as he won 2 - 1.

Indian shortstop Woodie Held robs Mickey Mantle of a sure hit.

Jim "Mudcat" Grant bears down on a Yankee hitter.

Elston Howard is at bat taking his hacks against Mudcat Grant.

Clete Boyer can't check his swing and hits a weak grounder for an out.

1961 Continued

Called strike three! This Tribesman can't believe it.

The Indians try to start a rally with this lead off single to right.

No argument here, this is a clear force out.

Another Indian not happy with being called out on strikes. Ford however was hitting the corners in this game.

The great Mickey Mantle of the Yankees.

Clete Boyer makes the play for the final out of the game.

The Indians lose to the Yankees again. In 1961, they ended up 4 - 14 against them.

Videos

Elston Howard hits an RBI Single.

Roger Maris hits an opposite field single to left.

• 1 month later...

I just downloaded the 1961 mod. I'm VERY happy with it. Sure surprised me to see Yogi Berra in the outfield!!!

I really would have liked to get a 1959 mod, but the 1961 mod is as close as I can get. And a side note...but it appears EA Mods website is really screwed up. I couldn't log in and trying to re-register didn't work either. There was a rumor of a 2010 roster update to the 2008 mod, but that doesn't seem to have happened. At least not yet. But since discovering the 1961 mod, I'm not really missing it. I'm an old geezer (age 60) and I relate more to the older guys than the new ones.

BTW...excellent reviews of all the mods. Thanks!

Dep

Edited by Deputy

I just downloaded thw 1961 mod. I'm VERY happy with it. Sure surprised me to see Yogi Berra in the outfield!!!

I really would have liked to get a 1959 mod, but the 1961 mod is as close as I can get. And a side note...but it appears EA Mods website is really screwed up. I couldn't log in and trying to re-register didn't work either. There was a rumor of a 2010 roster update to the 2008 mod, but that doesn't seem to have happened. At least not yet. But since discovering the 1961 mod, I'm not really missing it. I'm an old geezer (age 60) and I relate more to the older guys than the new ones.

BTW...excellent reviews of all the mods. Thanks!

Dep

I would also recommend the 1956 season mod for you to get. That's a good one too. And thank you for your kind words.

I would also recommend the 1956 season mod for you to get. That's a good one too. And thank you for your kind words.

Thanks, I'll check it out. But I was a little young to really enjoy baseball in 1956. I am putting together a complete set of 1959 Topps baseball cards too. That's the first year I ever bought any and it's a real kick to see those old cards again. Never thought they'd be this expensive though. :wacko:

Thanks, I'll check it out. But I was a little young to really enjoy baseball in 1956. I am putting together a complete set of 1959 Topps baseball cards too. That's the first year I ever bought any and it's a real kick to see those old cards again. Never thought they'd be this expensive though. :wacko:

Hey there Deputy,

Nice to hear you are enjoying some of these Total Classics mods. It is especially good to hear you are 60 years young as I am 60+ myself and really get a kick out of these mods. Likewise, I am close to completing my '63 Topps set as I choose that year because it was the year I remember buying most of those cards.

I really like the '56 mod as like you I was a bit young to remember it in detail but now I can relive some of those moments I missed and feel very familiar with how it all was in '56 and even get to know and see those players play that I missed seeing in those days! It is most enjoyable to visit those '56 Classic stadiums (Polo Grounds, Ebbets Field, etc.)that were pretty much gone when I started following baseball in earnest probably around '58 or so.

'59 would be a Great Year to relive with those Go-Go White Soxs taking the pennant from the Bronx Bombers. It might be in the works someday but right now I am enhanceing TC67 and likely a small upgrade to TC64 to come as well. I think you would really enjoy '64 as it was an exciting year with so many teams in true contention. I have replayed TC64 & TC69 in full(CPU vs CPU as I don't own a joystick and wouldn't know how to use one if I did) and in TC64 the Dodgers overtook the Cards in the last few days of the season to face the White Sox who hung on to a commanding 7 game lead going into September to edge out the late surgeing Yankees by a mere 1 game. In TC69 it once again was the Dodgers out pacing the Mets in the playoffs to face the Orioles who strolled to the pennant in the Junior Circuit and whalloped the Twins in the playoffs. In '64 the Dodgers swept the White Sox in 4 games where as in '69 they took a commanding 3-1 lead in the series against the Orioles only to fail to close it out as the Orioles won the last 3 and even won the last 2 in Los Angeles. I am presently in the first week of September with the TC61* mod and the Reds came on strong in early August to take the lead in the Senior Circuit and now have a 3 game lead on those Dodgers & 5.5 on the Braves and the Yankees have just caught the Tigers in the American League for 1st with the Orioles hanging tough just 4.5 games back. It is amazing how realistic these mods play out.

I would enjoy hearing how things are playing out in your games.

Yankee4life, Thanks for continuing to review these mods. Your reviews are very much enjoyed and extremely well done. Rest assured there are more coming although maybe not at the pace of the past few years.

I am particularly anxious to see Homer's All Time Great project hit the boards as I know from Homer's previous work it will be a stellar mod. OTBJoel's "Legends in the Booth" mod should also be a smash hit and I very much anticipate it's release as well plus I know Jim hasn't hung up the ole cleats yet either .......... Oh ! Ain't this GRAND !

Take Care & Keep Swingin' dat ole Bat !!!

Don

Don: LOL...I thought I would be the only old timer playing this sim. Great to see I'm not alone. I just picked up two baseball cards that I remember having back in 1959, Luis Aparicio and Nellie Fox. The old "Keystone Combo". I also placed a big order with Deans Cards for a bunch of 1959 Topps cards. http://www.deanscards.com/

I've found them to be a great source of correctly-graded cards and pretty reasonable prices. I won't buy anything less than mint/excellent.

But I had to get Fox and Aparicio off E-Bay. I wish we could view each other's sets. I remember the 1963 cards. Do you have this one?

d6ca_35.JPG

Ernie goes for big $$ no matter what year you buy. I lived in the Chicago area from 1949-2006 when I moved to New Mexico. I was mainly a Sox fan, but guys like Ernie Banks you could make exceptions for ;)

I distinctly remember watching the White Sox win the AL pennant in 1959. We watched it on our 19 inch B&W TV and when they clinched the pennant, they cranked up every siren in Chicago. Sounded like a London air raid :D Too bad they couldn't beat the Dodgers in the World Series.

Dep

Edited by Deputy

An update and some questions...first off EA Mods IS working. My re-registration just got dumped in the SPAM folder so I missed it. They are now known as MLB Mods and they seem to be concentrating on the 2K sports version of baseball. What a pity. :sad:

Now some questions...

1. Is it possible to play a full season of baseball in the 1961 conversion? I sure haven't found any way to do it. Is there a mod I can download that would allow it? Or am I missing the option somewhere? I don't mean dynasty or manager mode. I mean just playing as one team for the whole 1961 season.

2. Would I need to install another full version of MVP 05 in order to use any of the other conversions? I suspect the answer is yes to this. ^_^

3. Not really a question, more of a comment. Is there any way of changing the faces that come up of the different ball players? Not the ones that are on the body, the cameo pictures. For instance, in 1961 Luis Aparicio was on the Chicago White Sox. But in the conversion he is wearing a Baltimore Orioles cap. He didn't go to Baltimore until 1963. There are plenty of pics of Luis Aparicio with a Sox cap on. Here's one on the baseball card I just won on E-Bay:

65038.jpg

If someone can tell me where these pics are in the folders, I can probably change it myself. Unless the mod maker has some kind of rule about changing things, I can supply the corrected pics as I find them.

Dep

Edited by Deputy

Now some questions...

1. Is it possible to play a full season of baseball in the 1961 conversion? I sure haven't found any way to do it. Is there a mod I can download that would allow it? Or am I missing the option somewhere? I don't mean dynasty or manager mode. I mean just playing as one team for the whole 1961 season.

Don't follow you here. But I am pretty sure you can. Heck, stecropper plays full seasons in these mods all the time so it can be done.

2. Would I need to install another full version of MVP 05 in order to use any of the other conversions? I suspect the answer is yes to this. ^_^

Yes sir, the answer is yes. You need another install of Mvp 2005 to have any other total conversion mod. I created a thread some time ago that gives step by step instructions on how to do this. You can find it right here.

3. Not really a question, more of a comment. Is there any way of changing the faces that come up of the different ball players? Not the ones that are on the body, the cameo pictures. For instance, in 1961 Luis Aparicio was on the Chicago White Sox. But in the conversion he is wearing a Baltimore Orioles cap. He didn't go to Baltimore until 1963. There are plenty of pics of Luis Aparicio with a Sox cap on. Here's one on the baseball card I just won on E-Bay:

If someone can tell me where these pics are in the folders, I can probably change it myself. Unless the mod maker has some kind of rule about changing things, I can supply the corrected pics as I find them.

Yes there is but this is a question that a real expert like Jim825 could answer. What I do know is that you need the right size photo of the player to do this.

Please do not hesitate to ask any further questions!

An update and some questions...first off EA Mods IS working. My re-registration just got dumped in the SPAM folder so I missed it. They are now known as MLB Mods and they seem to be concentrating on the 2K sports version of baseball. What a pity. :sad:

Now some questions...

Yes for sure that is what these full seasons mods are all about i.e. replaying an entire single season:

a) Go into the "My MVP" option; then the "My MVP Profile" option; then to the "Edit Profile"; click to select the team you wish to control for the season; then when you go to "Game Modes"; "Dynasty"; "New Dynasty" that will be the team you have control of.

Tywiggins has many really Great Utilities to add to the fun of Dynasty Play and one of them is the "Team Changer" which allows you to switch between controlling teams (as many times and different teams as you would like) during the course of Dynasty Play.

In the 61* mod both leagues are setup to play a full 162 game schedule (the actual real schedule with 8 extra games for each National League team that only played 154 games in 1961). All full season mods use actual schedules from that particular year and like in the TC56 mod you can select to play the actual 154 game schedule or choose to play a 162 game schedule). If you do not select playing the 162 game schedule you would need to use another Tywiggins mod call "Short Season Projector" in order to advance to the Playoffs. Once in the Playoffs Ty also has a mod called "Playoff Creator" that allows you to manipulate the playoff teams if you care to which you likely would since MVP Baseball 2005 is hard coded to have at least 3 divisions in each league (and a minimum of 2 teams in each division). Tywiggins also has a very useful mod called "MVP Editor" that allows you to editor player attributes during Dynasty play which comes in really handy.

Yes, and that is covered in several forum threads --- it truly is a simply task but does require a good deal of hard drive space.

a) The player portraits are found in the data/frontend/portrait.big file. There are several ways to update these. I find the easiest for me is with Robert Glass's "MVPEdit" utility. Portraits need to be 128X128 bmp type files (I think they can also be 256X256 2X .bmp's as well but the standard is 128X128) and with RGlass's utility it is a simple click on the players portrait in the utility and find the replacement .bmp image and click to have it updated in the portrait.big file. I would highly recommend you download and get familiar with RGlass's "MVPEdit" utility as it is very instrumental in how we build these rosters and can become very useful to you to view player/team information as well as adjust it to your liking. Others ways to install .bmp portrait images is with Kraw's TiT utility or some of the other fsh tools available on this site.

65038.jpg

Dep

Don: LOL...I thought I would be the only old timer playing this sim. Great to see I'm not alone. I just picked up two baseball cards that I remember having back in 1959, Luis Aparicio and Nellie Fox. The old "Keystone Combo". I also placed a big order with Deans Cards for a bunch of 1959 Topps cards. http://www.deanscards.com/

I've found them to be a great source of correctly-graded cards and pretty reasonable prices. I won't buy anything less than mint/excellent.

But I had to get Fox and Aparicio off E-Bay. I wish we could view each other's sets. I remember the 1963 cards. Do you have this one?

d6ca_35.JPG

Ernie goes for big $$ no matter what year you buy. I lived in the Chicago area from 1949-2006 when I moved to New Mexico. I was mainly a Sox fan, but guys like Ernie Banks you could make exceptions for ;)

I distinctly remember watching the White Sox win the AL pennant in 1959. We watched it on our 19 inch B&W TV and when they clinched the pennant, they cranked up every siren in Chicago. Sounded like a London air raid :D Too bad they couldn't beat the Dodgers in the World Series.

Dep

Nope - Don't have Mr. Cub's card. I am about 70 or so cards short and most are the major star cards and those hard to find High # cards. I haven't gotten to the point of buying individual cards yet as I still try to buy from those selling a good number of cards all at once to fill in my gaps. Once I get down to only the really hard to find cards then I will start buying individual ones to finally complete the set.

WOW!! You guys are great!!! I am looking forward to a full season with one team. Unfortunately, the MVP Edit thing and changing the pics isn't going very well. I was able to figure out how to access the current files, but NO pictures show up for any player. Just the stats. No idea what I am doing wrong :(

Edited by Deputy

Well I startd a new dynasty and saved it again and it seems to work now. I also got Luis Aparicio's pic installed no problemo (thanks Don!). Looks like my work is cut out for me as far as correcting the pictures in this mod. I have Iview for a picture viewer/editor so it shouldn't be too hard. When I get done is it possible to post the corrected file for others to use?

Edited by Deputy

• 4 weeks later...

Let's get back on track in this thread. This is a review of the total conversion mods and not a thread for Deputy or anyone else to get technical support. There are enough threads and topics for that.

Next up in this thread is the third mod from the Mvp Caribe team. This mod is called Mvp Mexico 2009 and it covers the summer baseball league down in Mexico. Unlike Mvp Caribe and WBC Caribe 2009, this mod is not hosted here on Mvpmods. In order for you to have this mod you must be a member of the Mvp Caribe website. Just register, get verified, and you are all set.

Once you are registered over there, here are the links to get this mod: The link to get version 1.0 is right here. That's the big download, about 743 mb. There is also a small update to this mod that will upgrade this mod from version 1.0 to version 1.1 and you can get this right here. This is only about a 15 mb download as it updates the rosters at the end of the regular season and installs some new portraits into the game.

If any of you have played Mvp Caribe or the WBC mod you will know what to expect from this mod before you get into it and when I started this mod I was not disappointed. The first thing that hit me was the introduction video. It's one of the longest intro videos ever made for a mod and trust me you are not tempted to skip ahead and go into the game. This video reels you into Mexican baseball and when it's all done you are geared up to play a game.

You receive the same unique touch that only the Caribe guys can give a mod in this Mexico mod. As in the Caribe mod, you get players and stadiums only featured in that mod and here in the Mexican mod we have players and stadiums featured only in Mexico.

There's a stadium modder over at that site and his name is Salva. This is a guy that I think is basically an unknown around here except for the guys who are stadium modders here. Salva's made some very beautiful stadiums and when you play this mod you can see for yourself. Also if you have time here is a link to one of Salva's best stadiums that is hosted here on this site. It's the Tokyo Dome and it's probably Salva at his artistic best. We all know who Paulw and Pirate and Sean are around here but this guy salva is just as talented.

There is an installer for this mod that is easy and painless to follow. I had my game CD's and I put them in when I was asked to do it and that was that. You have the choice again to install it in either English or Spanish.

So, without further delay, here is Mvp Mexico 2009, thanks to the Caribe team.

Screenshots:

Welcome to Mvp Mexico!

Cargando! (Loading) This is the load screen after I picked my two teams for the game. For this exhibition game I picked the Saraperos de Saltillo at the Pericos de Puebla and I played in a stadium called the Estadio Universitario.

This single by a Puebla batter in the second inning lead to two runs being scored.

The Puebla pitcher is a bat here and he bunts the runner over to third base successfully. This Pulsipher guy pitched six innings of shutout ball for the victory.

The Pericos de Puebla team got greedy here in the second inning and had this runner thrown out at the plate to end their threat and also the inning.

You can not place a bunt as perfect as this one.

This time the Puebla team scores a run without a play at the plate in their four run fifth inning.

Mvp Mexico 2009 Continued

Every overlay that the Caribe guys make for their mods looks professional and it always stands out.

The Saltillos turn a very good double play.

Nice view of the Estadio Universitario.

This Saltillo base runner barely got back in time. But he only had a temporary reprive....

...because a few pitches later he was caught trying to steal second base.

The Pericos de Puebla team runs off the field after recording the last out in their 6 - 0 victory.

• 2 months later...

Next in my Total Conversion Mod review thread is the latest (and last) mod for Mvp Baseball 2004 by piratesmvp04. PiratesMvp04 has made three total conversion mods for the 2004 version of Mvp Baseball and this third one here will update Mvp 2004 to the 2010 Major League Baseball season.

This mod is not hosted here on Mvpmods and is also not hosted on Mlbmods, but a link is provided over on that site for you to get it. The download link for Mvp Baseball 2010 (for Mvp 04) is right here.

What you need to do to install this mod is to first install a clean (unmodded) copy of Mvp Baseball 2004. Then, as the instructions say, install patch #4 which can be downloaded right here on Mvpmods by following this link right here. Once you are done applying the patch, install the mod. That's it.

One thing I did not like about the install process is that it did not let you know when it was completed. When you start to install this, it asks you where you want to install mod. After you specify where you want it to install, it lets you know that there is a second part to the installation that you must wait for. Finally, a status bar will come up and something is uncompressed. When it reaches 100% the status bar disappears and that is the last you see of the installation process. I just sat there for a good ten minutes waiting for some kind of confirmation that the mod was installed but nothing came. So I decided to check for myself by getting into the game. Yep, everything installed right and I now have the 2010 mod for Mvp 04, but this installer leaves much to be desired. PiratesMvp04 did provide a readme with this mod in .pdf format but no where in that readme does it cover the installation of the mod. All it really covered is what was updated in the mod, where to get support and his notification of him retiring from modding and who he thanked for helping him with this mod. All well and good, but nothing to help the user with the installation or what to expect.

The rosters are from April of this year so if anyone is looking for Stephen Strasburg here you will have to wait for an updated roster release if Pirates decides to do it. The stadiums and uniforms here in this mod look fine except for a missing texture on the first baseman's gloves which will be shown in the screenshots. The uniforms are especially impressive. The readme file said they were hi-res uniforms and that is exactly what was delivered here. They really stand out.

I was a bit put off by the player portraits. For example, CC Sabathia is still in his Brewers uniform in this mod and Mark Teixeira is portrayed in his Angels uniform. A lot of the players are displayed in their old uniforms but for some reason John Lackey, the free agent pitcher the Red Sox signed this past winter, is shown in his Red Sox uniform in this game. Which brings up the question if Lackey was updated why not these other guys?

In the game that I played to review this mod I saw a cyberface issue with the Padres. For some reason Adrian Gonzalez is being passed off as Tony Gwynn Jr. I'm sure it was an over sight but it was still something that should have been caught.

The jukebox choices for this mod were chosen very well and I got to say it's one of the best put together jukeboxes for this game yet.

Again as a reminder this mod is for Mvp baseball 2004, the game with Albert Pujols on the cover. Not Manny Ramirez.

Because this is the 2004 version the KATIE ROY trick will not work here. But don't worry, there's another code that will do the exact same thing. Create a player named NICK ROY and save it. Then you'll have all the stadiums, uniforms and players.

Screenshots:

Welcome to Mvp 2010 for Mvp Baseball 2004

The pride of San Diego, Adrian Gonzalez.

Here's the missing texture on the first baseman's glove.

This Redbird got caught looking.

Laying down a perfect sacrifice bunt.

Albert Pujols would end up with two hits in this game.

David Eckstein is forced at second to end the fifth inning.

John Garland struck out eight in this game for the win including this one on Ryan Ludwick.

Albert Pujols gets drilled in the back by a Garland pitch.