Back In Black: A 2009 Chicago Whitesox Franchise

Maestro23

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How are you stealing bases? I just gave up on that as it seems that all anyone can say is "wait for the strike zone to disappear and then run"... I don't use the zone so that doesn't help me. The baserunning slider seems to do almost nothing.

Also, on the video recaps how are you getting the line to follow the ball? Are you adding that in yourself or is it a game feature somewhere??

Example: 8-10 seconds into this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5OsIQbIV80

You played 19!? straight games? Lol I don't think I have even played 2 in a row since I bought it. Between playing the games and the time/work required to present it, you got a second job!

It's a shame Buehrle isn't doing well. He's from the same city I am. I've met 2 of his brothers a couple times at work, they look a LOT alike.

31-20... Glad to see you're doing better then me. I'm currently 30-31 with the Redbirds. In April i had bullpen troubles and then in May I had power trouble. I am 2nd in batting average but with my power lacking I couldn't pull in the runs. Late May and early June my guys are starting to swing better, still only 14th in homeruns (lol) but it's improving. Hopefully I can pull it together in June and get back to 1st in the division.

Keep up the great work bro!

How are you stealing bases? I just gave up on that as it seems that all anyone can say is "wait for the strike zone to disappear and then run"... I don't use the zone so that doesn't help me. The baserunning slider seems to do almost nothing.

Also, on the video recaps how are you getting the line to follow the ball? Are you adding that in yourself or is it a game feature somewhere??

Example: 8-10 seconds into this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5OsIQbIV80

You played 19!? straight games? Lol I don't think I have even played 2 in a row since I bought it. Between playing the games and the time/work required to present it, you got a second job!

It's a shame Buehrle isn't doing well. He's from the same city I am. I've met 2 of his brothers a couple times at work, they look a LOT alike.

31-20... Glad to see you're doing better then me. I'm currently 30-31 with the Redbirds. In April i had bullpen troubles and then in May I had power trouble. I am 2nd in batting average but with my power lacking I couldn't pull in the runs. Late May and early June my guys are starting to swing better, still only 14th in homeruns (lol) but it's improving. Hopefully I can pull it together in June and get back to 1st in the division.

Keep up the great work bro!

Thanks Wicked.

Stealing Bases: As you know, the Sox are not built on speed, so I only have a couple of players I even attempt to steal with. Majority of my successful steals have been because of a bad throw by the catcher. I play with the strike zone off, so it is still hard as heck. I just try and pick my spots. I read the suggestion of lowering opposing catcher's throwing power down, but haven't resorted to that yet.

Video: That line is put in by the game. Have seen it on hits and nasty strikeouts. Don't know the criteria the game uses to determine when it appears.

19 Straight Games: Man, it wasn't like it was all in one day. :wacko: It was over a course of a couple of days (evenings), but I think the most I played a night, was 4-5. It felt good to just play and not worry about cranking an update out. During the summer, video baseball is about the only game I play seriously, and I love stats and reading about dynasties. The in-depth updates I do, are like a 2nd-job (especially in the beginning) sometimes, but I've streamlined the process. Now that I'm caught up with the real schedule, it's not bad playing that one game for the night then getting the article, boxscore, & video done for it. I don't feel rushed anymore. :D Plus, it helps that I'm a night-owl, and don't require too much sleep to function the next day. (Thank you Uncle Sam :hi: )

Buehrle: Man, I don't know what has happened to him. I need to go back and look at the games he started. See was he just bad, did he not get any run support, or did the bullpen implode when he left them with a lead. He's got a start after the Oakland series, and needs to show Ozzie something, or he's getting shipped down to AAA Charlotte. There a a couple of guys down there, that are putting up some good numbers.

Your Season: Sounds like you've got an interesting season going too man. As you can see in mine, your Cards are really struggling. Good luck.

I'm really enjoying this season with the ChiSox, even with all the bugs of 2K. Getting some good varied games, so things don't feel scripted, or I'm getting cheated. Some games I'll collect 15-20 hits, and I'll think "Man, I need to check the sliders", then other games, I can't hit my way out of a paper bag.

There's a story with this team. Ozzie is fun to write for, because you can say just about anything. :D Early on, the bullpen was struggling, and it was the starting pitching, and the bats winning us games. Now, the pen seems to be trying to get its act together, and the starting rotation is having issues. Keeps me on my toes. Thome, Dye, & Quentin are the cogs in this Sox machine. When I have them going, odds are good we will pull out a win. They've each had ups/downs so far. Quentin was on fire right out the gate, and has since cooled off a little. Thome and Dye then started to pick up the slack. What's cool is, that I approach hitting with them in different ways.

Well, sorry for the dissertation, but I wanted to respond to ya, and say thanks for following. As always, "Stay Thirsty my friends." :hi:

Glad to hear you got caught up, M.  Looking forward to seeing how everything starts to play out for you.  Good, **ahem**, luck in the A's series.

:)

Thanks Jay. Uh, well played Game 1 of the series last night....Things didn't go according to script. <_<

Oakland didn't get the memo :rolleyes:

Baltimore Fans, brought up Mike Wieters (your Saviour) ;) to the Bigs. Here's what he was doing down at Norfolk (AAA)

25 Games: .240 (26-108), 4 HR, 12 RBI

*Now that I'm caught up, will be making the May major roster moves for my Sox as well.

Thanks Jay. Uh, well played Game 1 of the series last night....Things didn't go according to script. <_<

Oakland didn't get the memo :rolleyes:

I missed the first game last night, will be making up for it with a double header this evening. Looking forward to that A's update. B)

Update: 5 June 09

Sox finish 4-game sluggfest with Oakland. Neither pitching staff showed up for 3 of the games. Konerko heroics in Game 4, sent the A's back to the west coast with 3 in their loss column. (Sorry JR). :D

Big start for Mark Buehrle coming up in the Cleveland series. Will determine if he's sent down to Triple-A Charotte.

Jerry Owens called up from Charlotte. Impressive in Game 2. 3-for-5.

Struggling D. Wise sent down to Charlotte. Don't think we will see him anytime soon.

Made the trades between Pirates and Braves.

As always, check my DM page for full coverage: http://www.dynastymanager.com/teampage.php...20series:%203-1

Stay thirsty my friends. :hi:

dbnx44.jpg

lol looks like Konerko gave Giambi a little love tap

He should have taken him out, I finally sent him packing to AAA Sacramento yesterday.   <_<

But M!  Absolutely fantastic update!  I just noticed, on the module at the top right (boxscore module), you have the icon (logo) for the team that actually won the game.  Very cool indeed. But man, you slapped the boys around for a few days.

But hey, congrats on finally getting a grip on the Central, and with the upcoming series, maybe you can bury the Tribe a foot or two deeper.  Great stuff!

That page is S I C K    :good:

He should have taken him out, I finally sent him packing to AAA Sacramento yesterday.   <_<

But M!  Absolutely fantastic update!  I just noticed, on the module at the top right (boxscore module), you have the icon (logo) for the team that actually won the game.  Very cool indeed. But man, you slapped the boys around for a few days.

But hey, congrats on finally getting a grip on the Central, and with the upcoming series, maybe you can bury the Tribe a foot or two deeper.  Great stuff!

That page is S I C K    :good:

Thanks Jay. Man, I wanted to kill Giambi in Game 4, when hit belted that 9th inning 2-run shot. Actually it was O. Dotel who I wanted to strangle. All I asked him to do was come in for one inning and shut the door. He was horrible all series. Ozzie's getting his one-way ticket to Charlotte ready as well. -_-

Jay, you're not the only one to just now notice the winning team logo in the recap module. Couple of people over at DM just figured it out also. :D

Man, when I have a couple of games that are hit-fest like that, makes me want to start messing with the sliders. Then a game like Game 3 comes along where neither team can buy a hit. I still might take the hitting sliders down a notch or 2 though.

Yeah, hoping I can stomp the Tribe in the dirt, and put some distance between them and me. First time we met, I swept them 3-0.

Thanks for the compliments man. How's your A's doing? Who is stepping up now that Giambi is gone?

Thanks Jay. Man, I wanted to kill Giambi in Game 4, when hit belted that 9th inning 2-run shot. Actually it was O. Dotel who I wanted to strangle. All I asked him to do was come in for one inning and shut the door. He was horrible all series. Ozzie's getting his one-way ticket to Charlotte ready as well. -_-

Jay, you're not the only one to just now notice the winning team logo in the recap module. Couple of people over at DM just figured it out also. :D

Man, when I have a couple of games that are hit-fest like that, makes me want to start messing with the sliders. Then a game like Game 3 comes along where neither team can buy a hit. I still might take the hitting sliders down a notch or 2 though.

Yeah, hoping I can stomp the Tribe in the dirt, and put some distance between them and me. First time we met, I swept them 3-0.

Thanks for the compliments man. How's your A's doing? Who is stepping up now that Giambi is gone?

I noticed the big variations in your boxscores, I remember the same thing happening when I was tweaking 2K9.  You can look at it from different perspectives though, baseball sometimes is that way, and the most important part is if you're enjoying the game as it is. 

Either way, the updates are precise, detailed, clean and easy to read.  If you're having issues at all, it's not noticeable in your presentations.  The updates are great, and the writing is superb.

As you know, sustaining the integrity of the dynasty is truly the hard part over the course of the entire summer, but by compacting it into 56 (or so) series updates, you're really broadening your chances for a faithful following.  

Very, very cool to go to the page and get to read about the whole series in one setting.  Brilliant work.   B)

I started a DM page but can't figure out how to get my stats on there. is it all manual entry or is there some kind of program?

It's all manual entry. All my tables are tables I designed myself. Pujols for MVP over there has made tables that many use on their pages.

You can find them in his signature and other help in the forums. Good group of guys over there.

Also, some stuff can be created/input from the "SideBar Content" section of your Admin page.

http://dynastymanager.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x

Update: 8 June 09

Tribe come in a lay the beatdown on 1st-place Sox. Cut the Sox lead to just 1.5 in the AL Central.

Buehrle still with the club. Will make next scheduled start against Detroit. Ozzie will evaluate him again.

Thome still leading the AL in all 3 Triple Crown categories.

Sox will host Detroit next for a 4-game series, before starting the dreaded InterLeague play (Where's rookie-rick at: :D )

As always, check my DM-Page for full-coverage: http://www.dynastymanager.com/teampage.php...ink%20Chi%20Sox

As always, "Stay thirsty my friends." :hi:

30wo2mh.jpg

Beautiful updates, M.  Congrats on getting away from the Tribe with one win, at least you managed to stay above the pack.  

Man Thome is tearing it up!  Barring injuries, I'm predicting 50+ homeruns this year.   B)

Good luck against Detroit!

Buehrle's having a strange season for you. Normally control (pitching to contact, working fast, lots of strikes) is his strongpoint ... along with focus.

Big Jim, a Peoria, IL product, has always been one of my favs. He and Eddie Mathews (similar guys) may be the most humble members of the 500 club (I can't tell if Murray is humble, as he's just quiet). Thome is another guy that I would floored if it came out he used PEDs. That dude has hit some mammoth homers in his day, and he has a classic "power stroke" ... pretty good eye at the plate (Are you watching, Ryan Howard?)

Game 1 of the series was one of those "wish 2k9 had the 'sim to the end of the game' features". Carmona pitches a 3H SHO, and in MLB he's demoted to the minors. Go figure.

Exciting game 2, those are the kind of games that mak you think "maybe 2k9 ain;t so bad".

Another good one in Game 3.

A funny note about Mark DeRosa. My 8yo son can never just say "Mark DeRosa", he always has to say "Dangerous Mark DeRosa". He must have heard that on a game or a Cubs broadcast and just clung to it. Well, he was dangerous for one game, at least.

Hey M, I didn't even know you had an aviator.  Cool.  Can I get one?   :D

Thanks CC and JoeRudi. :D

I was debating on if I was going to respond to the lost soul that found his way into MY dynasty thread, and felt that my "aviator" was the only thing he could comment on. Then I looked at his grammar, sentence syntax, and "aviator" and decided it was not worth my time. ^_^

@JR: Thome is clutch right now. Seems everytime I need a hit, or HR he comes through. I will be interesting to see if he can keep this bid for the Triple Crown going. I know its early, but still... :D

@CC: Man, everytime I take the mound with Buehrle, its and adventure. I mean he pitched well in his last start, just got into trouble on two occasions. Both times, I retired the 1st two batters with relative ease. Then the wheels fell off. In his defense though, we didn't get him any run support. And I went back and looked at a few of his starts: The bullpen has blown a few games for him. These 2 factors are why Ozzie hasn't given him that bus ticket to Charlotte yet. :D I'll say this though, it makes for a good story line for the rest of the season.

Thanks for the "support" and keeping up with my dynasty, despite the disconnect (that was explained in my 1st post) between my "aviator" and the Dynasty team. ;)

Thanks CC and JoeRudi. :D

I was debating on if I was going to respond to the lost soul that found his way into MY dynasty thread, and felt that my "aviator" was the only thing he could comment on. Then I looked at his grammar, sentence syntax, and "aviator" and decided it was not worth my time. ^_^

Not worth wasting your time on, M.  I dealt with that too from time to time presenting mine on a daily basis.  I once had a guy tell me that I misspelled the word "the" on one of my templates.   :huh:

If only I had that kind of time..

Anyway, excellent updates, looking forward to the Tiger series!

@CC: Man, everytime I take the mound with Buehrle, its and adventure. I mean he pitched well in his last start, just got into trouble on two occasions. Both times, I retired the 1st two batters with relative ease. Then the wheels fell off. In his defense though, we didn't get him any run support. And I went back and looked at a few of his starts: The bullpen has blown a few games for him. These 2 factors are why Ozzie hasn't given him that bus ticket to Charlotte yet. :D I'll say this though, it makes for a good story line for the rest of the season.

Thanks for the "support" and keeping up with my dynasty, despite the disconnect (that was explained in my 1st post) between my "aviator" and the Dynasty team. ;)

2k8 had horrible story lines as headlines for its "mlb news" feature. Every star player was in the doghouse and wanted traded.

My favorite was "LaRussa Complains About Pujols Effort" ... he was leading the league in HR and RBI. 2nd favorite is when Jeter wanted out of NY.

They never get this stuff right.

That would be just like Ozzie to "F" with Buehrle to get him to "pitch angry".

I really like Jim Thome. He's produced everywhere he's been, and has always been a solid member of the community.

Update: 12 June 09

Sox split series 2-2 with Detroit. We won the first 2 games, and then ran into a pitching buzz-saw in the likes of Edwin Jackson and Justin Verlander. These 2 guys even contained Big Jim, holding him to 0-for-8.

The struggling Buehrle lost yet another game. The offense didn't score any runs for him, and the fielding was suspect behind him. For these 2 reasons, Ozzie is letting him make the Interleague trip and make his next start.

Sox will first head to Miller Park and take on the the red-hot Prince Fielder and the 1st-place Brew Crew.

All-Star Vote Leaders are now posted in the League News link of the DM page.

As always check my DM-Page for full-coverage: http://www.dynastymanager.com/teampage.php...20by%201%20game

Stay thristy my friends :hi:

2s8sp3d.jpg

Great update, Maestro!  Thome went 0-8 in the last half of that series??   :huh:  He can't be slacking with Cleveland so close in the standings.

Man, Ozzie just "seems" on the edge at all times, great job at capturing that, M.  Awesome update, and good luck against the NL and the Brew Crew.   ^_^

(every time I see "stay thirsty" now, I have an urge to run to the fridge)

Archived