Franchise Slider Analysis ...

CircleChange11

Here is an image of a spreadsheet I use to analyze slider sets in my franchise. I made this for 2K7, and used it for 2k8, because (as you have experienced) sliders in 2K are pretty darn hard to "tune" for a realistic experience. Note: For some reason I am unable to get my laptop (Excel) to recognize the router, so I had to transfer this file to my desktop (Works), so there's some simplification of the look. But, the function is the same.

MLB2K9FranchiseResultsJ1.jpg

First off, I'll come right out and say, "Yes, I am a stat's geek", and I'll defend that by including that "I'm (or was) also a 6'3 left-handed low/mid 80s throwing pitcher on some pretty darn good teams)" just to save some credibility. Okay, now that's out of the way, and I feel reasonably secure in my manhood ...

Looking at the stats of 19 games (1 simmed, 1 w/ SerialMike's sliders, and 17 with Darkspace's), the combined total per game averages are decent.

Runs - 9.6(MLB) v. 9.1(2K9) = -0.5 Diff*

AtBats - 69.0(MLB) v. 71.5(2K9) = +2.5 Diff

Hits - 18.5(MLB) v. 20.8(2K9) = +2.3 Diff

BA - .268(MLB) v. .292(2K9) = +.024 Diff

Sngls - 12.2(MLB) v. 15. 8(2K9) = +2.5 Diff

Dbls - 3.8(MLB) v. 2.5(2K9) = -1.3 Diff

Trpls - 0.4(MLB) v. 0.5(2K9) = +0.1 Diff*

HR's - 2.0(MLB) v. 1.9(2K9) = -0.1 Diff*

Errs - 1.2(MLB) v. 1.5(2K9) = +0.3 Diff*

K's - 13.2(MLB) v. 9.8(2K9) = -3.4

BB's - 6.6(MLB) v. 2.6(2K9) = -4.0

Runs are fine.

At bats are a little higher because there are more hits than walks.

Hits are a tad too high (not enough walks)

BA - same as AB & H

Too many singles.

Not enough doubles (perhaps look at OF speed)

triples are fine

homers are good

errors are good

Not enough K's (perhaps trun pitch speed up a notch to make judges pitches harder)

BB's are too few. (I turned up user pit diff a notch at g15, and the pg avr - for 5g - were 4.0, better but still shy)

I'm confident that Hoop27's contact adjustment will bring down the overall number of hits (and BA), and the increased BB ratings, will increase the # of walks, to yield a pretty dang good simulation of real MLB baseball (with Darkspace sliders and my style of play - picky at the plate, no left stick swings).

Now,I need to decide whether to [1] change the ratings myself before I play each new series, or [2] start over when the new MVPComm rosters are released. I'm leaning towards #1.

Anyway, just getting my 'geek on' and sharing it with you.

Any suggestions in regards to the sliders/gameplay?

I made the edits in my franchise for Cubs & Cards, and played the final game of the series.

I raised each teams power slider one notch to compensate somewhat for the significant drop in contact from the roster edits.

CHC 5-13-1

STL 7-11-1

W-DWillis

L-RDumpster

S-CPerez

Soriano HR

Lee and Ankiel hit it off the wall/track.

Combined Stats

--------------------------

R-12

H-25

AB-71

AVR- .352

S-20

D-4

T-0

HR-1

BB-4 (2 of em lead off walks, both scored. 1 for each team. Me likey.)

K-7

Pitches-197

Balls-64

Strikes-133

Strike %- 64%

I think a nudge on the contact sliders may be in order because there seem to be a few "should been fly outs" that bloop in for hits. I little better contact likely gives these balls enough lift/umph to be the outs they should be. I'm not making that conclusion based on the game rsults, but based on where the pitch was thrown, the contact/sound, and my immediate thought of "that's an out", only to see it bloop in. Some bloops are realistic, too many are not.

I did notice a change in AI taking pitches. Some of the batters wouldn't chase a pitch 1/4 of an inch off the plate (Derek Lee specifically!). You will have to work for it. Not a huge difference in gameplay, but some. Making the roster edits (or using your guys roster) will give a better simulation for simmed games, and with the right sliders/style you can still play a good game, while having guys be able to compete for awards.

Archived