Mvp Or Mlb 2k9: Which One Are You Playing?

Minnesota Twins

MVP or MLB 2K9: Which one are you playing?  

203 members have voted

1. 1. I am Currently Playing...

• MVP 2005 (2007) (2008)
    • MLB 2K9

Pretty sure this WONT happen, because of the deal 2k has. The only reason you can even play The Show is because the deal allows for Sony to make a game for their systems. I am not sure how this would work, but I think Microsoft MIGHT be able to get away with making a game for PC, since it makes Windows, but I am not even sure they could get away with that.

Microsoft Baseball 2001 was a good, fun game. One of the first games I ever enjoyed enough to play an entire season on, and had somewhat realistic outcomes stat wise (though it was kinda buggy). Had better graphics than High Heat too. Tried playing HH 2001, after Microsoft, and couldn't handle the crappy graphics. Of course, the next year I fell in love with HH 2k2, and then 2k3, but that isn't the point. Point is, Microsoft could probably come up with a decent game, and might be able to do a PC version for Windows. Then again, it may end up being a crummy port of the XBox 360.

I didn't play Microsoft baseball b/c my PC didn't meet the specs, but I sure did try to. It looked great on the back of the box.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most people preferred High Heat 2001, but not me. I liked 2k2, and 2k3 though.

I also remember VR (Virtual Reality) Baseball was suppossed to be a big deal. It offered new looking player models and textures and graphics, but was a horrible game ... Kinda like Triple Play 99 actually.

The gameplay in MVP 05 is still better than 2K9 (or The Show, for that matter), but the graphics look outdated and terribly "cartoony". With the patch and Ty's roster editor, the PC version of 2K9 has turned into a credible option, to a modded MVP 05. What also gets me is why people think The Show is all that great.

But getting back to 2K9. I also like the pitching and I avoid the Classic Control Modes like the plague.

You should also post this in the MVP 2005 section. In the 2K9 area you are more likely to get 2K9 votes.

I am mainly playing 2K9, but I play MVP sometimes too.

The fact the votes are basically even, and it is in the 2k9 thread speaks volumes...

The gameplay in MVP 05 is still better than 2K9 (or The Show, for that matter), but the graphics look outdated and terribly "cartoony".

I recently got a new video card (for 2k9), so I fired up MVP08 today, Pirates at Boston. Dice-K was on the hill for the BoSox, and his animations, and the overall graphics looked very dated. I didn't last an inning.

I will always hold HH2003 and MVP in very high regard. At this point, I sort of wish I had not purchased 2k9, because now I cannot go back to either of the two titles, despite their superior gameplay and franchise features. 2k9 is playable for a season, maybe more if the franchise issues are resolved. Also, I can no longer enjoy the pitch meter. After 4 years and 500+ games, it's ran it's course with me ... even with ball cursor off and -50/-50 sliders (difficulty/control).

Someone reported on the 2k forums that customer service did, in fact, tell him they were working on a 3rd patch. Experience with 2k tells me "I'll believe it when I see it".

The fact the votes are basically even, and it is in the 2k9 thread speaks volumes...

Probably about both [1] the gameplay difference of the games, and [2] human behavior.

MVP is superior in terms of gameplay, but people also tend to cling on for nostalgia/familiarity reasons.

I saw the same thing with EWB, BBPRO, HH, and now MVP. FWIW, on the internet a couple of years ago, I found a league that still uses EWB, and they are in like their 30th season of the league .... there are also some BBPRO leagues in the 20th+ season.

been playing 2k9, but i downloaded the latest rosters and unis for mvp, and just have a blast playing this game. I am still using my datafile posted on ea mods. Until we can figure out more about 2k9, i might go back to mvp.

I went back to mvp. Started a new franchise on mvp08 and will install TC phase 9 tonight.

I do think 2k9 has potential. I love the graphics and the pitching. Batting is ok.

Too many things however make me go back to mvp. Its small things like the wrong team cheering after a run is scored.

But more importantly, things like a sluggish infield with players who cannot attack the ball on short grounders. And before you say anything : its not my pc that makes the game sluggish.

Post patch the game has gotten better, but i am still experiencing some terrible outfielder errors every now and then.

Anyway, i'm now 3 games into my new franchise on mvp08, and i really like the fluid way the game plays. Sure it takes some getting used to the graphics again, but only some.

If 2k can get a few more patches out, which improve the gameplay then i will definately play it again. With all the possible mods for this game it can become a really good thing.

I have high expectations for 2k10

I don't think it's shocking, given the 1.6 million (give or take *grin*) mods for MVP, the superior gameplay, the tradition/nostalgia, the familiar controls and fully functioning franchise mode.

The advantages of 2k9 are basically graphical and total controls (I was hooked on the 3-step pitching from 2k8).

Given that many enjoy immersion in franchise mode, 2k9 offers only limited appeal ... because of the flaws/bugs.

There will be people playing MVP 5 years from now .... regardless of what comes out, not 50% perhaps, but likely at least 25% .... unless all modding stops (which likely will not happen).

If any aspect is shocking, is that half of the people have moved from MVP to 2k9, rather than half are still playing MVP08. A great game is a great game.

It could also well be that after 4+ years that some are anxios to try something new ... and well, this is the first title released on PC since MVP ... and it was only a $20 incestment. It also offers a new task/challenge to modders.

I run hot/cold with the 2k series, but I really miss a deep, rich franchise mode.

Find me another baseball game in 05 that had 40 man rosters...

And so the catcher doesn't throw the ball back... big f*ckin deal! Stupid bullsh*t like that doesn't make a game realistic or unrealistic. It's all about gameplay. If graphics, presentation and features are more important to you than have at it. But developers should be focusing on gameplay, period. Graphics are a nice feature but are worthless if the game's unplayable. Why do I care what others are playing? Because it's people like you who are patting 2K on the back saying it's ok to have sh*tty gameplay. Meanwhile it's 2K's fault we don't have an MVP 09, and I'm not talking an 09 mod but an actual game. Now there's something to think about, if EA could produce an MVP 09 is there any doubt in your mind that it would blow away 2K9?

High Heat 2002 had 40-man rosters. Yes, High Heat 2002. That game was released in 2001 - 3 years before MVP '05.

Now, as always, posts on a forum are hard to interpret realistically, with the original poster's feelings and intentions often being lost due to only words being read, whereas in reality, one would be able to read body language as well to get an indication of their points and opinions. However, with the words and statements you've made in this post, you seem to be taking my opinions rather personally and seem to be attempting to insult me by calling the one of the examples I highlighted "stupid bullsh*t" and saying "people like me" "are patting 2K on the back saying it's ok to have sh*tty gameplay".

With this in mind, did you even read my original post? I said I agreed with you to a point, but did have some reservations about how opinions were being made on 2K9 vs. MVP, as well as pointing out that I'm still not totally convinced with 2K9 and might still go back to MVP. With this in mind, what makes you think I'm patting 2K on the back for anything? You seem to have come to a conclusion about my opinions on 2K9 v. MVP, which is interesting, because I haven't even come to an opinion on it yet, so I'm glad to see that you can do it for me - especially since my opinions are, apparently, "stupid bullsh*t".

Also, you don't even know me. You don't know when I joined the PC baseball community. What makes you think you know what I'm looking for in a baseball game? Here's a clue - you don't. Keep your opinions on others to yourself.

Finally, you said "Why do I care what others are playing?". Evidently, you do - you're posting in a 6 page thread with the title "Mvp Or Mlb 2k9: Which One Are You Playing?", and have posted the following statements;

Playing MVP and the Show over at a friends house when I have the chance. I will NOT EVER play MLB 2K9 again, nor any other 2K release... Anyone who honestly believes it's a good game doesn't know what realistic baseball is...

Answer: MLB The Show 09

I have yet to find any major flaws in that game... as close as you'll find to perfect simulation.

So you played baseball that long and still can't recognize that pitches (from the batters view) in MLB2K9 resemble slow pitch softball more than they do big league pitching?

So it needed some tweaking with the sliders, every game needs that. Compare the Show out of the box to 2K9 out of the box... there is no comparison... 2K9 is arcade baseball... if that's what you want more power to ya...

I do agree with you on one thing, Madden has gotten to be just as bad as MLB 2K

If I've interpreted your post incorrectly, please correct me, and I apologise in advance, but with the terminology you've used to try to make your point...well, let's just say it leaves a lot to be desired, and your points, thus far, have remained unproven.

I don't think it's OK to have crappy gameplay. I just happen to enjoy 2K09 becuase for me, it's GREAT gameplay. The patch has made a nice difference for me, and with some settings adjustments, this game is a terriffic gameplay experience for me. I tried to return to MvP, but it was too clunky and old for me. I really like this game. I don't find it arcadish or stupid. I liked MVP while I was playing it, enjoyed the fact that many great individuals were modding a game that EA quit on because of licensing, and had fun with it. I am having fun with 2K, because in my opinion, it's a good game. If you want to be mad at me for that, I guess that's your problem. I have and will continue to email support to 2K, for further advancements in this series. I will play it, tweak it, and provide POSITIVE input at every opportunity, and rational, well-thought out, non-knee jerk critical response as well, in the interest of improving the play on a game that this company happens to hold MLB licensing. Can you dig that?

I can most definitely dig it.

whos-awesome-1.jpg

I'm playing 2k9 and it's actually really fun to play. Not sure exactly what it is, but it's fun to play. I've had some really close realistic feeling games. There's a couple bonehead errors or bugs each game, but I'm having more fun playing 2k9 right now. I would say I enjoy it more than MVP. I could never pitch realistically with MVP. It seems pitching is a lot better in 2k9. Just enjoy it more. I'll probably stick with 2k9.

I've played mvp 04-08, thanks to the great modding. Since 2k9 came out, i haven't even played mvp. Mvp was and will always be a great game, but i'm enjoying the heck outta 2k9 despite the bugs/glitches. I seriously think they are on the right track with this game.

I fired up MVP using the resolution changer, and played a game without using hitter's eye, strikezone, cursor, etc ... and I was pretty happy with how it played (and looked).

I think for me, 2k9 will be for in-season play, and I'll use MVP in the off-season to play some of the total classics mods.

There is absolutely no reason not to play and enjoy both games.

Archived