Franchise Killer

bigt_23_r

I simmed to year 2033 in franchise my mode. i discovered that computer generated position players cant hit for average, homeruns and rbi's. By the last year the mlb batting average leader was batting .198, the homerun leader had 18, and the rbi leader had 56. This total kills the franchise mode because you cant build your team through the farm system which is how most teams are built in the major league.

2033? How many people actually play a franchise that far? Actually if you're in 2033, you're just simming a franchise, but still. I agree it should work correctly for however many years they decide franchises can be. But, I don't see how stats in 2033 completely make or break the franchise mode.

I don't think 2k has ever had franchise modes that were accurate simulations after two decades of play.

I'm a franchise guy, and I've never found 2k to be a "franchise type game".

If that experience is something that you are after I would recommned baseball mogul, OOTP or DM.

There seem to be quite a few franchise killers (once you get past 5 years) ion this version. What's confusing to me is that with 2k8, online play was the big gripe and franchise worked great. This year, online works great and franchise is the big gripe. *shrugs*

2033? How many people actually play a franchise that far? Actually if you're in 2033, you're just simming a franchise, but still. I agree it should work correctly for however many years they decide franchises can be. But, I don't see how stats in 2033 completely make or break the franchise mode.

I don't think 2k has ever had franchise modes that were accurate simulations after two decades of play.

I'm a franchise guy, and I've never found 2k to be a "franchise type game".

If that experience is something that you are after I would recommned baseball mogul, OOTP or DM.

There seem to be quite a few franchise killers (once you get past 5 years) ion this version. What's confusing to me is that with 2k8, online play was the big gripe and franchise worked great. This year, online works great and franchise is the big gripe. *shrugs*[

I dont even play franchises that far but the problem i trying to point out is that after year one the draft is worthless the position players you draft are never going to hit more than .230.

thats a bug that needs to be fixed

I agree.

My gut feeling is that franchise issues are too numerous and severe for them to fix in a patch, which sucks.

I don;t know if any modders can or will address the progression, etc ... and I wonder if that is something that could be 'fixed' with tywiggins editor. *shrugs*

I agree.

My gut feeling is that franchise issues are too numerous and severe for them to fix in a patch, which sucks.

I don;t know if any modders can or will address the progression, etc ... and I wonder if that is something that could be 'fixed' with tywiggins editor. *shrugs*

Agree. I've never played more than a season on any Baseball game (console/PC), although I'm a big franchise guy. For my Baseball Stat, GM, & multiple seasons fix I always play OOTP. Very deep franchise and about the best "sim" engine I've seen in a baseball game. Of course, that sim engine is the main focus for the devs of that game. That's all they have to worry about. Not graphics, ease of play, etc...

• 4 weeks later...

:D

Just thought i would put this here sense it's so funny..........This is Gamespot review.

Fielding is the biggest irritation in MLB 2K9. Controls are amazingly touchy. The throwing meter is so sensitive that you can easily accidentally go into the red and throw the ball away. If the catcher drops a third strike, for example, and you have to throw down to first to record the out, a light touch is needed to avoid chucking the ball down the line into right field. Moving fielders can also be an adventure, especially in the outfield. Just touching the left stick at about the same time that a fly ball arrives seems to cause the ball to be dropped. Also, infielders and outfielders seem to have been switched up by the developers. Infielders never appear to be in a rush to get rid of the ball. Second basemen double-pump for no reason, and shortstops take an eternity to get the ball out of their gloves. The result is a lot of infield singles and a ton of botched double-plays. Conversely, outfielders scoop up every routine ground ball hit for a single and gun it back in like their lives depend on it. Fielding even has the power to irritate you when you're not doing it. Watching the computer-controlled fielders at work is like being poked with a sharp stick. Opposing infielders can somehow throw lasers from their knees from behind third to nail speedy runners at first, while their regular tosses are often rainbow-arc lobs that travel faster than is physically possible.

God help them.......

This is what I don;t get ... I don;t experience those issues.

Pre-loading your throw seems to eliminate all of the delay, and that technique just seems to be common sense to me. I don;t have a touchy throw meter and my meter is set to 95. Maybe this is because I am on PC and using Logitech, and my controller sensitivity settings may be reduced.

As far as the fielders throwing lasers to first from their knees .... even behind 3rd base ... well, Scott Rolen and Bill Hall did the exact same thing in MLB in the SAME week. It happens.

The OF movement has always been cumbersome. It can be somewhat decreased by switching the dynamic indicator to "fixed". With OF speed at 60 (55 for user), the OF's seem to chase down balls they should, while still allowing hits in the gaps.

I don't have any of the complaints that the reviewers do ... except for the OFs throwing back to the IF as if the runner is taking the extra base, even when they aren't.

As a comparison, I was following a PS3 MLB09 franchise at this site and saw Vlad (AI) catch a fly ball and lolly-gag it back into the cut-off man as BOTH the runners from 1st and 3d tagged up successfully. We all know Vlad has one of the best arms in baseball, and while he might not throw guys out at home like he once did ... he would certainly rifle it to 2nd or the cutoff man to prevent the guy from tagging 1st to 2nd on a fly out to RF. I think we all know what rating MLB09 got from the reviewers, as it is billed as the MLB experience.

I'm not unnecessarily defending 2k9, but I wonder why the reviewers had so much difficulty (or not picks), when I don't.

Archived