Mlb 2k9 Sliders & Cassic Hitting

GeorgeAIII

Ok, I being by saying that All-star sliders are pretty good. They do allow for some boring baseball. Rookie sliders on the other hand, offer a more realistic game. In a sence of percentages when comparing my overall franchise numbers with MLB's numbers. My first Franchise on All-star sliders was awful. I was at the bottom of every category. I did another Franchise. This time Rookie sliders. And the numbers were a bit inflated. To many hits, not enough homeruns or extra base hits. AI fielders making superman grabs all over the field no matter what level sliders. Tracking down balls that are for sure extra bases. Made me care less about some stupid cards I could unlock if the game play sucked. So finding a happy medium in over all game play was very important considering my investing 30 bucks for the game. So, Rookie Sliders play a more realistic game as far as the numbers are concered, but to easy at times. All-star Sliders play turn AI into juiced up supermen. Although some sliders I felt were ok were they were. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT THESE SLIDER SETTINGS ARE FOR LOGITECH GAMEPAD USERS USING CLASSIC SWING MODE AND TOTAL-CONTROL PITCHING WITH PINPIONT TURNED ON. So if you don't mind about the player cards B.S. please continue.

Although I thing 2K9 got most of the game right. They neglected a few minor details, like hitting for instance. Which which hurts the games overall rating. But, after countless hours playing and tweaking the game. I began to understand more about it. How can you call it TOTAL CONTROL SWING if you cant even stop your swing, mid-swing if you change your mind at the last second. What kinda controll is that??? How can you call it CLASSIC SWING if you cant used the LEFT ANOLOG to locate the approaching pitch??? Maybe next year they will get it......maybe not. Now for my sliders to work for you at the plate you must first understand MLB 2K9's hitting physics (nothing like MVP 05) :( , as there is a glaring lack of power with the CLASSIC SWING. Ok, the TOTAL CONTROL SWING has more power. I get it. But less realism when it comes to the game. Do you get it. Now, forget it. If you want a truer basball game you will follow me on this one, and make the switch to CLASSIC SWING.

First, you will need to adjust your LEFT ANOLOG STICK settings in Logitech Profiler:

Sensitivity: 100% (fielding a bit smoother and finding pitch location not as twitchy)

Dead Zone: 0

Range: 80 (Just trust me on this one.) You want to throw strikes. Not into the stands.

Next you will need to download any of the patches that ((will remove the pitcher cursor and the late swing popups)) form the game. Because with out the pitch cursor it adds a level of difficulty that gives you satisfaction once youve figured it out.

Now that youve adjusted your left anolog stick and applied the remove pitch corsor and late swing patch. All you have left to do is make your adjustments to the sliders in the game and your done.

Start with All-Star Sliders and adjust from there. Enjoy!

USER BATTING |CPU BATTING //USER FIELDING |CPU FIELDING //USER PITCHING |CPU PITCHING

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BS - 60 |BS - 35 //FE - 15 |FE - 80** //PMS - 60 |AI PS - 55**

BC - 25** |BC - 20** //TMI - 50 |AFS - 25** //PS - 55** |AI PSI - 50**

BP - 100 |BP - 80 //FS - 65 //GR - 30 |AI SZT - 60**

PHI - 0** |PHI - 100 //HTI - 50 |AI PZT - 50**

IE BZI - 0** |IE BZI - 100 //RTI - 40 |AI PCI - 90**

BPI - 75 |BPI - 75 //PRI - 75

BIE - 0** |BC - 25 //PBI - 75

HDI - 50** |BS - 50 //PCI - 25

BC - 25

BS - 50

USER RUNNING |CPU RUNNING

----------------------------------------

BRS - 100* |AI HRT - 40

PS - 90* |AI SBT - 35

CTOS - 80* |AI ST - 35

|AI BRA - 40

* Will not make much difference in games but won't hurt to try.

** Will have the most affect to the realism of the game.

The AI fielding slider settings will not have the AI making alot of errors. Instead, it will seem like the AI has to try to make the play just like you do. So, instead of making the 2k9 signature super duper routine diving catch. The AI will struggle to get to the ball. Just like you will. The AI might nock the hot shot down. But he might not field it cleanly intime enough to make the throw. or he might. Seems to factor in a slight chance for a possible bobble or two just like the real game.

While batting. These settings will force you to work the count and look for your pitch. If the pitcher keeps pitching you away, nibbling at the outside corner. Thats ok, dont worry its not a glitch in the game. Its real baseball. The AI pitchers are pitching you based on that MLB Inside Edge thing. So the longer you play the game you will realize the pitchers are pitching you that way to set you up. Eventually they will start to mix it up a little. To put it another way. They usually pitch the situation just like there major league counterparts. Pitching situations incompass hitter tendancies,# of base runners if any, defensive alinment, number of outs, the score, the inning, whose pitching and there tendancies. ALL THESE THINGS DETERMINE THE NEXT PITCH YOU SEE.

One last tip. After all of this there is still more. Understand that hitting is based on timing and timing only. Location has nothing to do with. Unless its a ball. If you swing at balls that are not in the strike zone, chanses are you will not make good contact. So knowing this is half the battle. You must first identify the pitch. If its a fastball (STRIKE), you must swing early enough to make good contact. Too late you could miss the pitch, pop it up, hit a weak ground ball, or a shallow pop. This goes for off speed pitches as well. You must sit back and wait on these pitches or you will never hit them affectivley.

The other half of the battle is the left anolog stick and its realevance to CLASSIC hitting. Follow me carefully. You would think that by pushing up on the left stick to swing at a ball up in the zone is the logical way to approach hitting in this game. Think again. Although the left and right action of the stick affect wether you pull or go with a pitch. The up and down action causes an over/under effect on your swing. Example, most of my homeruns have come from me pulling down on the left stick. I hit homeruns, or pop fly outs. When I push up on the stick mostly I hit ground balls or line drives. F'd up I know. But if I try and forget all my baseball sim knowledge, I can hit pretty good numbers. So remember, if your batting right handed and you get a pitch low and outside. First identify the pitch. Then, try to pull down to get under the ball and pull in to pull the ball or out to go with the pitch. You can pull or go the otherway on any pitch location. BUT YOUR TIMING IS EVERYTHING! Laslty, the left sticks sensitivity is set at 100% because for some reason it seems to affect the power of the swing in CLASSIC hitting. Dont ask me how, but for about a week i play with the sensitivity at 5%. And I wondered why I could not hit a ball out of the infield. So just messing aroung I adjusted my sensitivity settings to 100%. And what a big difference it made. In pitching and hitting. I could maintain my pitch location during the pitch alot easier. And I started hitting homeruns. Dont know what it is but it works. And the game although still difficult and frustrating to play at times. It has never been more fun.

UNDERSTANDING MLB 2K9 HITTING (Classic Swing Only)!!

------------------------------------------

In 2k7, I used classic hitting. In 2k8, I had a lot of fun with the "swing stick". In 2k9, I'm back with classic hitting, and let my timing, contact, and hitter's rating determine pretty much everything.

I'm rather pleased with the realistic outcomes of trying to pull and outside pitch, or being able to go with a pitch without using the left stick.

I'll read your post more in-depth and provide some feedback later on.

In 2k7, I used classic hitting. In 2k8, I had a lot of fun with the "swing stick". In 2k9, I'm back with classic hitting, and let my timing, contact, and hitter's rating determine pretty much everything.

I'm rather pleased with the realistic outcomes of trying to pull and outside pitch, or being able to go with a pitch without using the left stick.

I'll read your post more in-depth and provide some feedback later on.

I'm with you there CC. The stick causes baserunners to run when you don't want them to or your not paying attention and you get doubled up. Classic eliminates that problem. I tried the no ball cursor thing also and hated it....went back to having it again.

My first Franchise on All-star sliders was awful. I was at the bottom of every category.

I'm saying this nicely ... but, you might just stink at the game (at this point). All-Star sliders are usually pretty easy for most gamers.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT THESE SLIDER SETTINGS ARE FOR LOGITECH GAMEPAD USERS USING CLASSIC SWING MODE AND TOTAL-CONTROL PITCHING WITH PINPIONT TURNED ON.

Pinpoint pitching is for weenies. :D

How can you call it TOTAL CONTROL SWING if you cant even stop your swing, mid-swing if you change your mind at the last second. What kinda controll is that???

You pull back on the stick. Tieyed posted this in our forums a while ago.

How can you call it CLASSIC SWING if you cant used the LEFT ANOLOG to locate the approaching pitch???

That's called "Cursor Hitting" and you have to select it in the controls menu.

and make the switch to CLASSIC SWING.

I use classic swing because I want my results to be based on a combination of my hitting timing, the pitcher's rating, and my batter's rating ... not a little "more juiced" because of using the stick. I used the stick last year and liked it, this year they dumbed it down quite a bit.

Looking through your sliders, they are likely far too easy for most gamers.

Darkspace, IMO, has a nice set of "medium" sliders that also allow for player cards to be unlocked.

You can increase the difficulty to your heart's content, you just cannot make any of the sliders have a value that is below pro.

Archived