Pitching Help

jackKC

Howdy

I am looking to buy MLB 2k9 for the PC, but don’t have a gamepad and have no intention of paying for one as I can use keyboard for my other games just fine.

I have downloaded the demo and can bat just fine, and with a bit of practice am getting my head around fielding and base running.

BUT still not understanding pitching. How the heck do you pitch using a keyboard? I can get the ball target to move, and can use different keys for different pitches (like in the old MVP) but beyond that I haven’t a clue what Im doin’

When I hold down a button for a pitch a yellow circle expands and keeps expanding til I let go… im trying to get the circle as big as possible without it getting too big and losing control – I assume that’s a good start? But then I hear people talking about pressing different directions for curve balls and change ups and I don’t get it. Am I missing it?

I know this game is designed for an analogue stick, but can someone tell me how close I can get to good pitching control without one?

Also – if I buy this game. Is D2D a reliable download version and am I right in thinking it’s the best so far in getting patches updated as quickly as possible?

Thanks a bunch!

Thanks for the quick response.

I was a little reluctant to pay for the game until I knew it allows keyboard users to have a chance to playing realistically. However, I assume from your post that I am safe buying the game and then all will become clear...

I found this thread which seems to sum up half of my story

http://2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?...hlight=keyboard

For some reason on the demo the circle doesnt get smaller again BUT I guess in the full version Ill be able to see it get smaller? Is this the 3-step pitching option Ive been reading about?

Thanks for the quick response.

I was a little reluctant to pay for the game until I knew it allows keyboard users to have a chance to playing realistically. However, I assume from your post that I am safe buying the game and then all will become clear...

I found this thread which seems to sum up half of my story

http://2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?...hlight=keyboard

For some reason on the demo the circle doesnt get smaller again BUT I guess in the full version Ill be able to see it get smaller? Is this the 3-step pitching option Ive been reading about?

I have no idea. And that's for two reasons. First I don't own 2k9 and never will and secondly if I did I'd never use the keyboard to play any baseball game. But I do know that you can use the keyboard with this game and that is why I responded. For example, check this thread right here.

lol... god forbid a manual ever explains all you need to know about a game.

Thanks for the link wicked, im not complaining at you – I just long for the bygone days where pc game instruction manuals were heavy and informative reading – simcity 2000 or Grand Prix 2 manual anyone?

Ps: I know a keyboard isn’t ideal, but I tend to buy the same games every few years like madden etc and the keyboard controls never change. Ive never owned a console so I’ve always had nifty fingers for a keyboard. Plus I usually play on a laptop, with it on my lap… so I’d feel silly sitting there holding a gamepad with the keyboard right in front of me anyway!

The manuals now days are nearly useless. I really don't know how they can even call them a manual, all 90% of them have listed anymore are the controls.

I didn't mean by not knowing the controls, i meant it would just feel awkward trying to play a sports game on a keyboard. But if it feels good to you, that's all that matters. I grew up playing consoles too but made the switch to PC about 5 years ago and never looked back. I bought a controller specifically for sports games, as that is almost all I play anymore. Had a bad arm injury so using the mouse can get pretty painful now days, maybe I should go back to consoles? Who knows... lol I just love the mods :D

Archived