Pitching Questions (maybe Sliders?)

jackKC

Yes, there are countless questions about pitching – but I’ve ran the search options on this forum and the 2K forums and still need some help, so I hope it doesn’t annoy anyone that I’m starting this thread. I’ve bought the game, and use a keyboard. Classic mode for hitting is simple… but when it comes to pitching I can’t get anywhere.

My thought process resembles Wakefield’s Knuckleball right now, so Ill bullet point for clarity. If anyone has any insight on any of these questions I greatly appreciate it.

- Classic Pitching: This seems the obvious choice for a keyboard user and basically is just like MVP, except at least in MVP it was obvious whether you were hitting your spots or not.

As the yellow circle gets bigger I see no outer border so am I meant to just guess where the max limit is or is this a graphics glitch/setting I’ve turned off?

Also, I think I am hitting the button when the circle is at its smallest, but a lot of my pitches seem to share no resemblance to where they were aimed (I am using pin point aim right now for reference sake)?

I can only think of one explanation but I could do with some confirmation. Should I be pitching safer? Obviously the ideal scenario is to wait til the circle is at it’s safe limit (100%) and then click again at the moment it disappears (0%) but should I instead be aiming for an 80% > 20% timing because otherwise being the slightest bit late on either motion ruins the pitch completely?

If this was the came I could understand it and start playing this game properly because this would IMO accurately replicate how hard it is IRL to pitch, but I don’t want to start trying to use my pitches at 80% effectiveness if I’m missing a way of doing it at 100%

- Also (yes, there’s more), could someone explain a bit about how the user sliders relate to classic mode pitching? I am using Wicked’s sliders, but I think he plays using total control on a gamepad. How do sliders that relate to ‘gestures’ affect my meter clicking that don’t use the control stick gesture method?

Are my slider settings affecting the crapshoot nature of my classic mode pitching? Should the gesture slider influence be set to 0% considering I’m not doing any gestures?

Thanks for reading this post, I know it’s lots of random points, but I got everything where I want it with this game and am ready to play it if I can just get to a point where I feel I have control over the pitching performance.

i realize this might not be much help to you, as i don't use a keyboard to play, nor do i use classic controls, but...

if you are playing 2K9 on a PC, i highly suggest you grab yourself a controller (360 Controller @ Amazon.com). the $30 bucks is more than worth the enjoyment you'll have out of playing the game (and some others) much more naturally and, truth be told, with much less frustration. i got one for this game alone (just before the game came out, even) and i am certainly glad i did.

that said, a few things, at least, i can clue in on ... perhaps.

1) when you first start a pitch, you should see an outer edge of the ring. the ring is i'd say around the diameter of the area between the batters boxes (depending upon your view, of course, but that's a good guess i think). if you can't see it, something is definitely amiss with either a setting (i don't know of a setting for this, however) or your setup.

2) as far as pitch effectiveness goes, while it is true hitting the circle at exactly 100% full will produce the best possible pitch at the location you are aiming for, it still might not be the best pitch to throw. that said, an 80% 'effective' pitch located in the right area (i say area because at 80%, you probably won't hit your 'spot') might actually work better in a given situation than the 100% pitch in the wrong spot.

2b) i'm pretty sure you're clued into this already, but just in case ... the location of your pitches will be more accurate the closer you come to 100% of the circle. if the circle is only 50% filled when you make your pitch, you will see exactly what you've been seeing: "a lot of my pitches seem to share no resemblance to where they were aimed." also, some pitch-types are more finicky than others (and of course depend on the pitcher throwing them).

3) as for gestures, i think your assumption is correct (to have your gesture slider at 0% influence) if you are not using them, however, perhaps the game knows since you are using classic controls those gestures shouldn't (and don't) come into play anyway. again, i'm only guessing here as i haven't used my keyboard or classic controls to play. i have not read of other keyboard users having problems pitching (many have complained about hitting/swinging with a keyboard), though i haven't looked for those problems either.

in the end, all/any of these issues could/would be solved by using a controller rather than the keyboard, and i can't encourage you enough to plop down the $30 bucks to get a decent controller.

for what it's worth, any 360 controller should do nicely, though i have heard about problems with wireless (360) controllers on a PC messing with other input devices. also, you don't have to get a PC-specific xbox 360 controller as it is the same exact thing as one you'd get for a 360 (USB connection ... drivers available online). my 360 controller has worked flawlessly (and much to my delight) since i got it, and i am absolutely certain it has made 2K9 more fun to play than if i was using a keyboard.

again, sorry if absolutely none of this helps, but i thought i'd give it a shot.

Thanks for the response Altrui... Deep down I know a controller would be better, but if I can get the keyboard to work then I'd like to save the expense because I don't really need it for other games I play.

By changing my search criteria I've tracked down this thread... which is the best explanation I've read anywhere. After reading this and playing a few games I find myself having control over pitching where I want - but unless I was using an Ace's best pitch, I still never had complete control which I find very realistic based on what I imagine real life pitching to be like.

http://2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?...itching+sliders

So I just have two questions now:

1) Can someone that pitches using classic mode tell me how the sliders like hold and gesture affect my gameplay?

2) I still cant see the outer edge ring when my circle starts to expand. Is this a settings/graphics problem? Keep in mind I CAN see the ring when total control is turned on, but not in classic mode. Can someone that uses classic mode tell me if they see the outer limit or do they just practice until they get a feel for the circle size

Thanks

Archived