Followup To "are You Still Playing" Thread

tks

I didn't want to water down the discussion in the Are You Still PLaying thread, so I felt it best to make a separate thread.

A comment was made in that thread to the effect that 2k9 is not realistic and that the simulation engine is busted.

I don't find that to be the case at all....

I have now played 52 games in my franchise (I believe I said 55 in the AYSP thread).....Anyway, here are my team stats after the 52nd game (which was won by the good guys 2-0)

Team BA=.288 second best in NL

HR= 53 in 52 games (7th)

RBI= 234 (11th)

BB= 105 (lowest--not unlike MVP)

SO=310 (lowest--not unlike MVP)

OBP=.331 (8th)

SLG=.459 (2nd)

OPS= .790 (4th)

RISP= .296 (2nd)

SB= 35 (8th)

CS= 24 (worst)

Errors= 48 (worst--almost all my fault)

Pitching stats

ERA= 3.59 (1st--three teams under 4.00)

WHIP= 1.31 (1st)

SO= 303 (worst by 6)

BB= 113 (1st)

K/BB= 2.63 (1st)

BAA= .250 (1st--next best is .253)

HBP= 46 (worst by far--somewhat intentional.)*

*--I play without cursor and lowered all user pitcher control numbers and increased BB numbers and lowered SO to make it more difficult to pitch.

I don't find any of these stats so outrageous that makes the game unplayable or unreliable. I have found no reason to validate that the simulation engine is busted....I know there is a franchise problem when you go to play more than 1 year but that is not a problem from my viewpoint.

All in all, as I said in the Are You Still Playing thread this game IMO is very playable and as entertaining as MVP ever was.

I just think we are very fortunate to have two baseball simulations to rely on.....Obviously much of the thanks regarding MVP goes to all the modders and we are now finding that modders are now doing the same (to a lesser degree obviously) to 2k9.

We are indeed lucky simmers!!

Good thread idea tks. The sim engine is definately not busted. Does it need to be tweaked and tightened up for next year's version: of course.

I'm going to post the team numbers for my White Sox after I update my dynasty tommorrow, just like you posted above.

I'm having a blast with my dynasty so far. Nothing outrageous has made me want to quit playing it.(Trust me, we know it has its bugs though). I've got a good set of sliders and have been getting a variety of games. Have not experienced the train-wreck that you see in many of the youtube videos and various forum posts. But, that is MY experience with the game.

Err, ah, excuse me for asking Maestro23 but how dare you play as the White Sox while having a Cub logo as your Avatar??? :shok:

Them Cubbies are my team but you don't see me having a W.Sox avatar.:rolleyes:

Err, ah, excuse me for asking Maestro23 but how dare you play as the White Sox while having a Cub logo as your Avatar??? :shok:

Read the 1st post in my dynasty thread. B)

I always take my Cubbies in a baseball game. Just wanted to try something different this year. I've got enough heartache following the real team this year, didn't need the "virtual" heartache as well. :D

Kept my Cubbie avatar to show I'm still a loyal "Cubbie". :hi:

Some guys dont play as their favorite team Im a yankee fan and I've played as the giants red sox and a bunch of others so dont go crazy kunfu on us :D !!!!!!!

I came across someone saying that in 2033, the league leader in .BA was like .182, something crazy like that.

I was just simulating s franchise once, opening week, second year and Mariano Rivera was in the Yankee rotation. He pitched a complete game shutout with like 10 k's.

It's just so much I came across simulating just 2 years. It was an awful feeling dying for the latest rosters to start a franchise and ending up with witnessing that.

You might play a good exhibition/franchise game in 2k9, but I wouldn't trust it further. I'd have to hold my breathe, praying something bad doesn't happen.

The engine isn't busted, it's the way 2K modeled around the engine. If you sim a few years ahead, you will see how everything starts to go all out of whack. This is because of the way the player progression is done. It's the player progression that is broken, and some other things that 2K never bothered to test, not the actual engine.

If you stick to playing 1 year franchises, and are willing to put the time in to adjust everything correctly, then it will play out fine.

I came across someone saying that in 2033, the league leader in .BA was like .182, something crazy like that.

I saw that too.

My advice to anyone wanting to sim seasons up to 2033, is to buy Out of The Park, DiamondMind, or Baseball Mogul, and enjoy baseball simming at its finest.

I hate 2K, as a company, for their lack of communication and their tendency to chase shiny new features (that no one really seems to want anyway), while removing features peple do like and ignoring core issues ... but, most likely due to time constraints the online style of play was emphasized (perhaps since this was broken in 2k8).

I don;t know anyone that is actually playing franchises past 2-3 years (if so, they have a lot more time/durability than I do), so unrealistic sim stats in the 2030's is not likely a make/break issue for the vast majority of folks.

If you are interested in giving 2k9 a 2nd chance (or 3rd or 4th *grin*), you can PM me, and I will list the files/mods I am using, give you the slider set I'm using and advice on tweaking tips based on your experience/style/skill, etc.

If you're not interested, it's no biggie, I'm having fun ... and without sounding rude, that's my primary priority.

Read the 1st post in my dynasty thread. B)

I've got enough heartache following the real team this year, didn't need the "virtual" heartache as well. :D

Kept my Cubbie avatar to show I'm still a loyal "Cubbie". :hi:

Man oh man....I share your pain!

Hey Maestro, if it makes you feel any better, I just finished the first season of my dynasty in 2K9, and the Cubs are playing the Tigers in the World Series. Currently tied 1-1.

Thanks Hollywood. Hey, at this point, I'll take a "virtual" World Series championship for the Cubs. Heck, it will be easier to achieve then a real one, the way they're playing. :D

Like most Cub fans, I truly do not understand the Cubs. THey seem to have "every piece" needed for a title, yet fail to produce, especially in the playoffs.

While I take some joy in watching their collapses .... Lilly throwing his glove into the mound (after giving up the HR to Young) is just classic, that's something I would have done ... they have to have more nuns as fans than any other team (ever notice how many nuns are in the crowd? ... especially at day games. At some point, all those prayers have to have a positive result, don;t they? *grin*

Boston Won. ChiSox won. How long can the drought continue? Realistically, I see the Cubs making the series when they are not expected to. They'll have a seaosn like the 2006 Cardinals where some things go wrong (injuries), and people will not expect much of them, and they'll surprise everyone in the playoffs. When they're favored, they underperform drastically.

Like most Cub fans, I truly do not understand the Cubs. THey seem to have "every piece" needed for a title, yet fail to produce, especially in the playoffs.

While I take some joy in watching their collapses .... Lilly throwing his glove into the mound (after giving up the HR to Young) is just classic, that's something I would have done ... they have to have more nuns as fans than any other team (ever notice how many nuns are in the crowd? ... especially at day games. At some point, all those prayers have to have a positive result, don;t they? *grin*

Boston Won. ChiSox won. How long can the drought continue? Realistically, I see the Cubs making the series when they are not expected to. They'll have a seaosn like the 2006 Cardinals where some things go wrong (injuries), and people will not expect much of them, and they'll surprise everyone in the playoffs. When they're favored, they underperform drastically.

Yeah. They listened to all the off-season "media" predicting them to run away with the NL Central. Went to their heads.

Heck, they are a disgrace right now to us Cub fans. Lack of fundamentals. Ex: Bradley with his bone-headed baserunning today.

Part of their problem is that they gave a boatload of money to a player like Soriano who does not deserve it. The guy is an incomplete player who does nothing to help that team while he is out on the field. He's got great power at the plate but he can be pitched to as anyone who has followed the Cubs or the Rangers or the Nationals or Yankees can verify.

Yeah. They listened to all the off-season "media" predicting them to run away with the NL Central. Went to their heads.

Heck, they are a disgrace right now to us Cub fans. Lack of fundamentals. Ex: Bradley with his bone-headed baserunning today.

I loved his "posing" as he caught the 2nd out of the inning, thinking it was the 3rd out ... and then throwing the ball to a fan, as the runners tagged to score.

Those are just great "Cub moments".

--------------------------------------------

As for Soriano ... they got him when his stock was the highest, and it looked like a great signing at the time. He and Pinella did get the Cubs to a division title ... but then the playoffs happened.

I have no idea how to "light a fire under him", because he plays the least inspired ball I have seen, with BJ Upton running a close 2nd.

I don't know if he needs benched for a few games or what. I don;t know what he is like emotionally/mentally, and whether that would ignite him or destroy him. Moving him back to second base might even be a good idea, because then his offensive production would be a plus (for the position), while adding someone with better defense in a corner outfield position ... but, then something weird would happen, like he'd lead the league in errors or something.

There HAS to be something to the "culture" of 'Cubs Baseball', b/c Milton Bradley should be a great offensive force in that lineup .. but yet he seems content to just come to the ballapark and let whatever hapens, happen. Ho hum, we're underperforming ... no big deal.

I don;t know what to do with the Cubs. When they get a fiery manager, the players and fans get all sensitive. When they get a laid back manager, the players underperform. I always thought a Larry Bowa, fire and grit, type of manager would be good for them (like Dallas Green was), but the Cubs seem to drive managers insane, instead of the managers getting the players to perform as expected.

Archived