Batted Balls Curving

abraves

I have not played this game alot but it seems that batted balls do not hook or slice down the line but everything is a straight ball flight. Is this correct or have I just not seen them curve? I use cursor hitting. Thanks.

I have not played this game alot but it seems that batted balls do not hook or slice down the line but everything is a straight ball flight. Is this correct or have I just not seen them curve? I use cursor hitting. Thanks.

No, batted balls do not curve.

Ball physics like that are missing too often in many baseball games.

That's one thing you notice right off when watching games at the stadiums ... even liners up the middle usually hook/slice to the left/right of the center fielder.

Seeing balls slice just out the reach of an OF would be a very realistic addition to any baseball game ... as would weak grounders with spin starting off fair and then dribbling foul. Having long drives start fair and hook just foul would be very realistic ... and frustrating.

BBPro98 was the last baseball video game I played that had "ball physics" like that.

Ball physics like that are missing too often in many baseball games.

That's one thing you notice right off when watching games at the stadiums ... even liners up the middle usually hook/slice to the left/right of the center fielder.

Seeing balls slice just out the reach of an OF would be a very realistic addition to any baseball game ... as would weak grounders with spin starting off fair and then dribbling foul. Having long drives start fair and hook just foul would be very realistic ... and frustrating.

BBPro98 was the last baseball video game I played that had "ball physics" like that.

Have you played The Show yet? This is one thing (of many) I feel Sony did an excellent job with. They could still work on the spinning grounders a lil (although it's not entirely absent from the game) but linedrives hook and slice all over the place. I had a liner hit to my center fielder a few days ago that literally looked like it changed directions it had so much spin on it. And you're constantly getting balls hooking or slicing foul. And of course, those fouls help with another problem other baseball games have, that being generating realistic pitch counts. Pretty much every game my pitcher (and the CPU's) hits 100 anywhere from the 5th inning to the 8th inning...

I know for a fact how hard these physics engine are, because I'm working on them now. Right now, the spin has a bug at extreme values (I can hit a pop-up which literally hovers in mid-air), and the groundballs still don't go far enough...

The Show's physics haven't disappointed me yet, but the pitch counts seem a bit forced. Sure pitchers hit 100 pitches at the right time, but it seems control's too high, and the missing balls turn into foul balls. But they're closer than anyone else has ever gotten. They're definitely a game to look up to.

As far as the pitch counts. First, you gotta have a good set of sliders of course. With the right set you won't have the great control. As far as when you're batting you have to have the ability to take those really close pitches. Generally, what I've done is, unless I have 2 strikes, I use the guess pitch feature to guess pitch type and location and if I don't guess right I won't even think about swinging (except for rare occasions when I see a pitch too fat to take). Anyway, by doing that I've found that about half of the balls I would normally swing at would be balls.

Only MLB08 on PS2, but I haven;t played it much ... just played around with the RTTS feature.

I'm looking to get out of console baseball completely.

I would LOVE for mlb10 to be on PC.

That's not gonna happen. It would be pirated to hell and Sony makes sure they ALWAYS gets their money.

Do the balls hook/slice on MVP08 ... because based on visual observations they sure seem to (could just be the fielding camera I am using).

But one of my batter's (Conor Jackson, I think) hit a home run to left tha appeared to be hooking toward the foul pole, and what looked to be an easy HR, ended up being just "barely fair" (announcer said it "wrapped around the pole". Again, could just be my fielding/gameplay camera ... but it definitely appeared to hook, as do a lot of fly balls. Another time Upton hit one to oppo that looked like it was a sure HR, only to have it slice foul, into the foul portion of the bullpen.

I do not know if this was how it was in the orig game, or if this was modded in (or if it exists at all).

Archived