Mvpmods Subscriptions

Trues

i can understand both sides of the point and in the end i hate to say it but i gotta lean toward the ovbious, with the files being as they are and being that there is no preview of any big mods that ppl anticpated ncaa mod, 90's mod, 09 mod etc, i think the general feeling is the site has slowed down, not to mention those that has a ps3 and plays the show. mvp mods has been a cool site for me, ive enjoyed everything that was produced and i to hate to see it go up in smoke like it has, but truthfully when you put a madortory price tag up ( even though we all should understand what it is truthfully for) in the eyes of a lot of ppl it would be like u were paying for the mods.

i dont know if it has been thought of or even mentioned but for example, file front.com, yousendit.com,send space.com, i mean there are endless amounts of free sites thats made avaible for space\bandwidth that modders could load there work on to, i dont think its int he rules that you have to load your work on this site, that would save tons of banwitdh.

truthfully thats how nlsc for the basketball game has made it this far, its because they stop hosting the main files that modders do, and just allow them to post there on uploads, and it doesnt count against your bandwitdh.

that's just my 2 cents, but i hope there can be a resoultion to this, next year 2k9 will be back for the pc, and i believe alot of the bugs that was in this years game will not be in next years and mods will be able to be more enjoyable.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know past history or what has occurred previously, but a merge between mvpmods and eamods could also take place. *ducks quickly*.

It will never happen -- Too many bridges have been burned.

As for the demise of MVPMods, to quote Mark Twain, "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.....

One of the things I am wondering is with the purchase of a subscription, will a user become exempt or protected more greatly from things like banning or issues such as that? $10.00 for a lifetime membership seems a fair amount and hopefully is enough to, in the long run, keep the site afloat. However, as I was banned for about a week for an invalid reason, if I had already been a subscriber, I would have been getting blocked from a service I have paid to use and that, in my opinion, would be absolutely out of the question.

I'm not saying the subscription is a bad idea, because I know what it's like to pay for upkeep, domain name rights, server costs, etc. What I am saying is that with the site becoming a paid subscription site essentially, does that warrant slightly increased leniency with some things? Does it mean you'll get flamed less for making a request? Does it mean you're not going to have to deal with seeing things like a silver platter when you ask a question?

These are the kinds of questions that pop into my head when I was thinking about the subscription. I'll probably subscribe after my next paycheck anyway but I figured I'd ask.

It will never happen -- Too many bridges have been burned.

As for the demise of MVPMods, to quote Mark Twain, "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.....

[1] I understand.

[2] I understand.

With all of my 'brainstorms' or 'brain farts', I'm am thinking a year or so down the line. The new subscriptions will likely have momentum for a few monthes .. and possibly a resurgence next March when the baseball itch starts up. I'm thinking more of the "offseason" when the $150 bill still comes up, but people's attention is on other sports, and people start to put their money into holiday stuff.

I asked Trues earlier whether reducing the number of downloadable files would help. After all, how many people need a 2005, 2006, 2007 AND 2008 version of Yankee Stadium, Fenway Park, etc. Do we really need 2005, 2006, 2007 AND 2008 versions of Blue Jay uniforms? Etc., etc., etc.

You could really free up a lot of storage space by doing some housecleaning.

Unfortunately, storage space isn't the real issue. It's more about CPU usage, bandwidth, etc.

Oh what a horrible task it would be and that is an understatement

converting all archives to 7z using

a -r -t7z -mx9 -m0=LZMA:d80m:fb273:lc5:mc1000

would make files smaller.

I did a test run on like 500 MVP mods a close to 2 years ago (just RAR to 7z nothing else) and it would have saved an average of 58%

but it would take a solid week to do 3836 files (24/7)

but besides just re-compressing the files, there are many ways users could make mods smaller when they create them. For example DO NOT EAcompress files before archiving them up, do not include a whole BIG/IFF file when you can just include what was changed. You could use many different methods that would reduce mod sizes by a considerable amounts.

Lets take the last MVP stadium released, it is 32,173,662 to download now currently. It can be compressed down to 3,733,506 (by not ea compressing, only including what has changed, and using 7z). The file was reduced to 11.6% of its original size

$150/month sounds a bit steep for this website in my opinion.

I know I mentioned to Trues in a PM, but thought I would post here in case he didn't get it for some reason (Got an error when I sent).

Anyways, how about moving to a web host that gives unlimited storage space and bandwidth, such as FatCow.com? Granted it's not eat all you want, but they say it should be enough to satisfy a personal or small/medium size business at $58/year. Probably more a pain than what it's worth though. (7zip'ing the files would help a bit as mentioned earlier)

$150/month sounds a bit steep for this website in my opinion.

I know I mentioned to Trues in a PM, but thought I would post here in case he didn't get it for some reason (Got an error when I sent).

Anyways, how about moving to a web host that gives unlimited storage space and bandwidth, such as FatCow.com? Granted it's not eat all you want, but they say it should be enough to satisfy a personal or small/medium size business at $58/year. Probably more a pain than what it's worth though. (7zip'ing the files would help a bit as mentioned earlier)

You do know there is no such things as unlimited storage/bandwidth. They use it for marketing gimmick, because most site don't use alot of storage space. Just like your HD for your pc, it doesn't have unlimited space, you gotta run out sometime, unless you keep buying HD. Also most of the problem is CPU usage. Also this site could be on a dedicated server or VPS, explaining why it cost alot per month. Shared hosting is always cheaper

Edited by chump

You do know there is no such things as unlimited storage/bandwidth. They use it for marketing gimmick, because most site don't use alot of storage space. Just like your HD for your pc, it doesn't have unlimited space, you gotta run out sometime, unless you keep buying HD. Also most of the problem is CPU usage. Also this site could be on a dedicated server or VPS, explaining why it cost alot per month. Shared hosting is always cheaper

You are correct, and for the record, this site has been running on a dedicated server for over 4 years. Now, I also had to make a few moves (upgrades) along the way as we grew. I'm sure most people can remember how this site used to crawl.

I'm aware of that.

I do not know the history of this site or that they were running on a dedicated server.

I just came around here in 2009.

I will shut up now.

I removed your posts because they had nothing to do with the topic at hand. Please stay on topic. I'm not going to let you bash eamods (or any other site) here. If you have a problem with them, take it up with one of their admins in a PM.

I removed your posts because they had nothing to do with the topic at hand. Please stay on topic. I'm not going to let you bash eamods (or any other site) here. If you have a problem with them, take it up with one of their admins in a PM.

Trues, Ok I respect what you do here, and you're correct it has nothing to do with this post. A apology is in order. But they've blocked my messages to them, so I guess I'm beating a dead horse. But, I will say "what goes around, comes around"

Hmmm...

Does the site automatically tell you when your limit is up, or are you supposed to not download more than 2 files?

I downloaded 3 files just to see if the site tells you that the limit is up, and it did not.

Oh, and I did not donate yet

Edited by cococrispy

Sorry to hear that you had to take this step, but in current economic times it is understandable. Hopefully down the road when things get better we can get the best of both worlds.

It is sad more people should donate(Not trying to affend anyone).

Edited by etrius23

You could have users upload files to file hosting services that would remove both the bandwidth and space required to host the files

Or use torrents! ^_^

I think it would help to detail the costs of the website, what plans and from where. And what is needed (bandwidth, space)

Ip.Board ("Optional 6 month renewal: $25"?), dedicated server (current host is liquidweb.com? webmaster series dedicated server $150?)

Edited by Frozen316

Good, when this given adjustment the pague i want to express my humble opinion:

I am think god idea that the page is benefitted to take the work of lodging and other costs that so that it follows running of them. But the problem is like? This problem form gives result to many adverse things as it is it: listening several opinions before

1. - if I that I am not to modder as 95% of this Web want to unload a work have limitations (first error to limit a user)

2. - if I that I must pay for being able to unload the amount of archives that never I go to try of being to modder since if limits to me to unload much less am going away to contribute (secondly error To obstruct)

3. - A Web of contributions of works free public and has never maintained with a guarantee of payment by means of users either q the mission of a web is to offer him to all the possible material to its users and their business this located not in them but in other fields like publicity or others, if it is used the user so that page certain amount of money by the necessity to want to unload a material that is contributed free of charge by another user this committing a corruptible fact (third error conatr with the necessity of usurio) Thus that I hope and formulate a new decision thus does not go away to arrive far I give to an example the page Web them gamingacces was with the same problem that you so I hope they meditate that it.

thanks greetings to all and success!

Sorry my bad english.

Edited by porfilio

Good, when this given adjustment the pague i want to express my humble opinion:

I am think god idea that the page is benefitted to take the work of lodging and other costs that so that it follows running of them. But the problem is like? This problem form gives result to many adverse things as it is it: listening several opinions before

1. - if I that I am not to modder as 95% of this Web want to unload a work have limitations (first error to limit a user)

2. - if I that I must pay for being able to unload the amount of archives that never I go to try of being to modder since if limits to me to unload much less am going away to contribute (secondly error To obstruct)

3. - A Web of contributions of works free public and has never maintained with a guarantee of payment by means of users either q the mission of a web is to offer him to all the possible material to its users and their business this located not in them but in other fields like publicity or others, if it is used the user so that page certain amount of money by the necessity to want to unload a material that is contributed free of charge by another user this committing a corruptible fact (third error conatr with the necessity of usurio) Thus that I hope and formulate a new decision thus does not go away to arrive far I give to an example the page Web them gamingacces was with the same problem that you so I hope they meditate that it.

thanks greetings to all and success!

Sorry my bad english.

I'm sure you have good points here. Unfortunately, I can't make sense of your English. Thanks for trying, however.

Or use torrents! ^_^

I think it would help to detail the costs of the website, what plans and from where. And what is needed (bandwidth, space)

Ip.Board ("Optional 6 month renewal: $25"?), dedicated server (current host is liquidweb.com? webmaster series dedicated server $150?)

Server specs:

Processor: Dual Xeon 2.8GHZ Hyperthreaded

Memory: 4GB DDR Registered/ECC

Hd1: 160GB 7200RPM SATA / 8MB Cache

Hd2: 160GB 7200RPM SATA / 8MB Cache

ControlPanel: CPanel / Web Host Manager

Bandwidth: 2000GB Monthly Transfer

Total cost: $269/month

Trues if no ones mentioned it, even with the 2 downloads per day for normal users there are still restrictions on certain files. I found this out attempting to download updated portraits in the mvp 2005 section.

Fixed. Thanks for the info.

I dont know if people would get on this but Perhaps we could get a group of modders together to make a sort of, MVPMods Fundraiser Package. A nice little pack of mods that people could purchase for a minimum of 2 or 3 bucks + however much they can afford to donate on top of that.

This could initially be a trial thing but if it works out well it culd perhaps become a yearly or even quarterly occasion.

IMO the 10 dollars lifetime subscription should change to 10$ annually.

What's the point of getting a lot of money now, and not having enough later?

10 dollars a year = 84 cents a month = 2.8 cents a day.

How many games do you play in a game for 2.8 cents?

:rolleyes: