index.php?autocom=downloads&req=display&

File Name: Legends from the Booth, the "Harwell does Color" Phase

File Submitter: OTBjoel

File Submitted: 29 Aug 2009

File Updated: 30 Aug 2009

File Category: Audio

Version: No Information

Legends from the Booth, the "Harwell does Color" Phase

HE STOOD THERE LIKE A HOUSE BY THE SIDE OF THE ROAD AND WATCHED IT GO BY..

Would you rather hear that or the bland 'He got him looking'.

I think most of us would rather hear Harwell's signature phrase.

Now we have progressed to the point where Ernie Harwell replaces most of Krukow

with his own color commentary.

You will also hear the beginnings of the PBP mod in progress in some cases. There is a little

bit of color commentary as well from Vin Scully. You will hear variations of the game intro

from Vin, Mel, and Ernie.

If you are expecting perfection from this mod then you will probably be disappointed.

It was very difficult to find an exact match for many of the sound calls especially with the Krukow

color. There will be some oddities like one voice doing the introduction for a player but then

another announcer actually says the name. You might even think there are "too many cooks in

the kitchen". However, without finding the sound calls from all of the resources available, this

mod would not be nearly as complete if I only used the Vin Scully calls. Using all three

announcers made it possible to fill in many blank spots. The transitions between announcers

isn't as smooth as I would have liked but I am doing my best. My hope is that the finished

project will smooth it out quite a bit at the end.

MAKE SURE TO READ THE 'readme' INCLUDED IN THE FILE ARCHIVE FOR INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS.

These instructions have been abbreviated.

The files included in this mod:

pnamehdr.big --> to be copied to: MVP Baseball 2005\data\audio\spch_pbp\

pbpdat.big

stdnmdat.big

tnamedat.big

pnamedat.big (this file is newly included. Not complete by any means but it's a start.

Generally speaking, Mel Allen says complete names for older ballplayers and Vin does

the more modern ones. PBP last names only are done by Vin)

All 4 of these will be copied to: MVP Baseball 2005\data\audio\cd\spch_pbp\

**** MAKE SURE TO BACK UP YOUR ORIGINAL FILES FIRST *****

New addition:

pnamedat.big - this file is the beginnings of players names being announced by Vin/Mel/Ernie.

It's not complete yet but gives you the preview as intended.

NOTES AND OBSERVATIONS

-----------------------

Compared to audio in some other baseball games, the MVP PBP has a lot more variation. In the

completed version of the mod, there will probably be more repeated sounds since the replacements

simply don't have as much variation.

With Krukow gone, there will seem to be a lot of instances of no commentary. MVP is not so

rich in play-by-play as say Baseball for Windows, Broadcast Blast is. MVP lets much of the

play on the field do the talking for it as you would have in a television telecast where

there is less play-by-play than you would have in a radio broadcast.

Names have not been completed yet. Thanks to AlexTony and EddieEl, it is a constant work in progress.

This phase includes some of the work done so far.

The player index will follow that of the Total Classics releases with gaps being filled in by the names

from Total Audio releases. I have made it so the mod will be completely compatible with the original MVP05

and most of Total Classics. TC will be the primary with Total Audio being the secondary player

name index. It should be about 80% compatible with Total Classics seasons mods but in cases where the name

index might be different against Total Classics, the season mod may be different. I cannot speak for how

other mods were done. These will probably need to be retro-fitted as well.

I feel this mod's interest will be more from the Classics fans so I feel obligated to satisfy

their needs although everybody who plays MVP can gain enjoyment from these announcers.

Well, enjoy this mod as the voice of the Tigers, Ernie Harwell moves into the color booth.

- OTBjoel

Click here to download this file

No crashes here, but I have only played dynasty games

in two mods with this audio replacement.

I love it so far. Good job.

Complete silence has been totally eliminated in my last two

games. 1978 and 1988 mods..

There are a few mismatched names, which is understandable,

but my primary concern in that the goal of completely replacing

Krukow (sp) may lead to the same problem in reverse!!

"He is a strike-out pitcher" became old quick!!

Silence is golden, as far as I am concerned, with respect to color

commentary.

Correct batting names for the various mods is more important to me

than color commentary.

Good job eliminating total silence!!!!

Great improvement mod.

Thanks.

DC

As far as player names goes, this mod is complete compatible with the original MVP05 and about 95% compatible with Total Classics 10. After that, you pretty much have to start modding player names all over again as every modder seems to have gone in his own direction with the players names index. Can't satisfy everybody but I chose to at least have it compatible with TC as a minimum. This is probably the best I could do without modding the player names for every total conversion mod ever invented. Best thing to do for now is resort to your original mods pnamedat.big or check with the mod creator to see if they would make it compatible with Legends from the Booth. I am always available to help those who are interested in retro-fitting their total conversion mod with this mod.

I'll put out a new README to explain some of this. In the meantime, keep in mind this is a work in progress and many concerns will be looked at and maybe corrected in the final version.

I hope to have a preview of the final product available around the Christmas season (hopefully 60-70% done). If all goes well, I hope to release the final version around the beginning of next opening season.

Joel,

I understand the impossible nature of reproducing the name lists

for every mod ever made. I am sorry if my response indicated otherwise.

You have done a wonderful job here and have increased my personal

enjoyment of this game immensely. Thank you.

DC

Unbelievable. I hope everyone realizes how much effing work went into this.

I've used it so far for two games in MVP 94, and by and large, it's spot on. I think that the production decisions that you've made so far have been excellent (ie- who says what, and how that workoad is divided), and I am absolutely stunned at how seamless it is - no volume drops, minimal punchouts (at least that weren't in the original files in the first place), and by and large, the distribution of calls follows the logic of the game. Even going file for file, this must have involved a fair bit of trial and error.

I'm looking forward to more name files - the Vin Scully ones are terrific, especially because they're a single name file per player, instead of firstname/lastname.

The only really clunky bit is the pitcher's won/lost record, but a) that's the way it was in the original game and B) it only appears once a game anyway. In MVP 94 there are some minor varations with player id's, but all the stars and most of the regulars are correct, so who cares?

And yes, silence IS golden. That might be the best production decision you've made. I'll take silence over mindless gibberish, every time.

Once again, Joel, thank-you.

Archived