Cutting Off Throws And Defensive Positioning

dabanara

trying to play the game again after a long layoff.

was there ever a way to cutoff a throw from the outfield (like when it is thrown home)? sometimes my infielders pretend to cutoff by jumping high but they never cut it off.

also, was there a way to shift defensive alignment? the AI keeps squeezing on me and i can't for the life of me get the guy out at home. i can't find a way to move the infield in, and i'm guessing there isn't a way to.

if there isn't a way to do these things, how do you guys deal with this?

thanks, i'll try the shifts.

but regarding cutoff throws, i'm not talking about throwing to the cutoff man, but rather deciding to cut off a throw that is already headed to a farther target. like when you throw home from the outfield but you realize you won't get the guy out so you'd rather cut it off and throw to 2nd or 3rd (assuming there were other men on base).

it's not possible huh?

thanks, i'll try the shifts.

but regarding cutoff throws, i'm not talking about throwing to the cutoff man, but rather deciding to cut off a throw that is already headed to a farther target. like when you throw home from the outfield but you realize you won't get the guy out so you'd rather cut it off and throw to 2nd or 3rd (assuming there were other men on base).

it's not possible huh?

Yeah, I cut off throws heading to other bases as well. Using the Left Shoulder button.

do you have to do anything special to cut off throws? hold the button in a special way or something?
yes, as soon as the ball is thrown, hold down the cut-off man button (shoulder-button). if the ball is able to be cut off (if the ball is thrown low enough, and in the path of the cut-off man), it should be cut off without any problem ... in my experience, at least.

ok i finally cut off my first throw.

question: say i throw home from center field and want to cut off with the pitcher. possible? or are the 2B/SS are the only ones who can cut off throws?

edit: nevermind, i saw a pitcher with the L-shoulder button icon over him so i guess it's possible.

normally, the first-baseman will be the one cutting off throws to the plate. if a base-runner has a chance to score, the pitcher will most likely be behind the plate backing up the catcher in case a throw gets away.

i know for a fact 2K9 does things a bit oddly in this department at times (1B covering second for strange reasons, etc.), but most for the most part, a cut-off man should be available in any given situation (with a ball hit to the outfield, that is).

Archived