Installing Multiple Mods

Yankee4Life

I got it working thx. As an aside, what do I do if I want to play the original game, again?

If you followed Y4L's instructions, you should have two installations of the game on your PC -- the original game and the modded game. You would just go the folder that has the original files (typically C:Program FilesMVP Baseball 2005 and double click on mvp2005.exe.

When you installed the mod, did you first make a copy of your original game install (i.e. copy all of the files and subfolders to a new folder structure) and THEN install the mod or did you just install the game from disc and then install the mod on top of it?

I didn't word that very well. What I meant was, when I go into the 1978 version, my roster, owner and dynasty saves are the same as the 2005 version. Could I have the 78 version with it's own set of rosters and such, while the 05 rosters stay with the 05 version, and don't show up in the 78 version. That aside, I'm very impressed.

You can definitely have different roster and dynasty saves. Just give them different names. When you start up the game, you can load whatever dynasty or roster you want. I don't use owner mode, but I expect that it would be the same.

When using any single season mod, you need to remember that they are created for just a single season, and the majority of them did not modify any of the minor league teams. Because of this, you will want to turn off injuries, suspensions and computer initiated trades. Otherwise, you might find that your rosters will get unintentionally changed during the season.

I went to go add another mod. I followed all the instructions. I copied a clean MVP to a file, I extracted the .exe to a mod_install folder, I extracted the installer to that folder, and I set the game folder to my folder with the MVP, but when I tried to install the mod. The installer broke down, and was unresponsive. I don't think I did anything wrong, the only other thing I could think of is my computer is running out of memory, but I had 5 free GB when I tried to install so I doubt that's a problem. Any advice?

It was the Best of the 80s & 90s. Is there some reason why the installer would fail like that (memory, maybe)? Where do I go to change from read-only access?

Man, I don't know what you are doing but you are having a lot of problems with this. I'll say it again, if you had followed the instructions that were written up in this thread you would be playing multiple mods right now. It's obvious to me you are missing a step or two and I wish I knew what they were.

It was the Best of the 80s & 90s. Is there some reason why the installer would fail like that (memory, maybe)? Where do I go to change from read-only access?

Using Windows Explorer, go to the folder that you want to copy the files to. Right click on the files you want to change and uncheck the Read Only option.

As Y4L said, you should not be having these types of problems if you are following his procedure and my installation instructions step by step.

I have no clue why the installer would fail. I've never had a problem with it. Are you running other programs in the background while trying to run the installer?

I have no clue why the installer would fail. I've never had a problem with it. Are you running other programs in the background while trying to run the installer?

Even that suggestion is a stretch Jim. Your installer for these mods does not interfere with anything. For instance, I have never heard anyone state that their anti virus program had a problem with this installer and as far as your instructions for using the installer they are detailed and user-friendly. It is obvious that this guy is overlooking something because if this works for everyone else except for him then the problem has to be him.

As Y4L said, you should not be having these types of problems if you are following his procedure and my installation instructions step by step.

I also request that this guy start a thread to help him through this problem and to have all his posts in here about not knowing how to do this be transferred over to that thread. This topic is not about getting his game to run.

I will tell you every step that I followed:

1) copy MVP to a "MVP Clean" sub directory of a "MVP Mods" directory

2) copy that to a "1980s" folder

3) take my downloaded file, extract the installation instructions and read them

4) extract the .exe to a "mod_Install" sub directory of "MVP Mods"

5) extract the installer to "mod_Install"

6) select "1980s" (which has the copied MVP) as the game folder for the Installer

7) The installer starts and freezes at models.big

I followed these steps and got the 78, with much guidance, to work. I try everything again, and get to the end and then it breaks down.

I will tell you every step that I followed:

1) copy MVP to a "MVP Clean" sub directory of a "MVP Mods" directory

2) copy that to a "1980s" folder

3) take my downloaded file, extract the installation instructions and read them

4) extract the .exe to a "mod_Install" sub directory of "MVP Mods"

5) extract the installer to "mod_Install"

6) select "1980s" (which has the copied MVP) as the game folder for the Installer

7) The installer starts and freezes at models.big

I followed these steps and got the 78, with much guidance, to work. I try everything again, and get to the end and then it breaks down.

Start another thread to detail the problems you are having. The topic of this thread is not for technical support for you or anyone else.

• 8 years later...

Figured I'd resurrect an old post. There is a simpler way to have all mods installed on only 1 installation of MVP 2005. Google "JSGME" tool or Generic Mod Enabler. With this installed, I have 1 installation of MVP 2005 and can swap mods in minutes. What's great about JSGME is that you can use it with any game that you install mods on. Been using it for years for Madden, NBA2K, Fallout Tactics and others. Below is a screenshot of the tool where you can switch out mods. 

JSGME MVP 2005.png

54 minutes ago, ActtBadd said:

Figured I'd resurrect an old post. There is a simpler way to have all mods installed on only 1 installation of MVP 2005. Google "JSGME" tool or Generic Mod Enabler. With this installed, I have 1 installation of MVP 2005 and can swap mods in minutes. What's great about JSGME is that you can use it with any game that you install mods on. Been using it for years for Madden, NBA2K, Fallout Tactics and others. Below is a screenshot of the tool where you can switch out mods. 

JSGME MVP 2005.png

Any chance you can hook us up with a tutorial? Just saying, this thread pre-dates JSGME ;)

6 minutes ago, Micropterus58 said:

On NLSC there is a tutorial for JSGME. It's for NBA 2K14 but can be used for many games. It is also good for mod makers because you can test any modification and you can also use it to troubleshoot problems. I also use it for MLB 2K12 mods.

https://forums.nba-live.com/viewtopic.php?f=153&t=92820

I’ll draft something up for MVP/MLB 2K12 sometime today. Great find!

• 6 months later...

Create a new folder in Windows Explorer. Copy the contents of the folder with the clean install into the new folder you just created.  Then create a new shortcut pointing to the mvp2005.exe File in the new folder. 

Now you can install a mod onto the folder with the copy of the game. Never copy anything onto your original clean install of the game. That way you always have a starting point to make another copy. 

I am new to all of this so I appreciate the help. So I need to look for the folder for the original MVP 2005 install on the PC, and try to copy all of the contents into the new folder on my desktop? As for the roster and mod downloads, is there a special program I need to successfully download them? They do not appear to download on MAC to move to a flash drive. Do they only open on the PC? Thanks in advance. 

Not sure I understand exactly what you're asking or if you've figured it out already but I assume you just wanna duplicate a copy of your already installed game for modding purposes?

And if that's the case, simply copy the entire MVP Baseball 2005 folder (that's most like installed in C:\Program Files\EA SPORTS) to another directory, rename it how you prefer and proceed to test your downloaded mods in that copy. You might wanna create a new shortcut for that one since the original will simply launch the clean/original install of the game.