Baseball Books

Yankee4Life

• 2 years later...

I noticed that there haven't been any postings in this topic for a long while so i hope it hasn't been considered dead and that's why nothing new has been posted. Also would like to say i have no talent for modding but this topic provides a way that i can give back to a site and people who have provided me with so much enjoyment over the years. The Era by Roger Kahn (available as an e-book for a very reasonable price as well) should be of special interest to fans of the great NYC baseball teams of the late forties through the fifties to the eventual relocation of the Dodgers and Giants,but any fan of baseball will not be put off by the somewhat narrow focus of the book. Kahn came of age during this period first as a fan of the Dodgers then as a young reporter covering first Brooklyn then Yankee and Giant baseball for the Herald Tribune and then Newsweek magazine as its sports editor.Kahn also wrote The Boys of Summer (about the Brooklyn Dodgers of 1952/53). This book is full of litle known stories about players managers and owners drawn from his everyday interactions with them in his job. The integration of baseball is given a new look especially in the description of the attempted organization of a strike to force Jackie Robinson out of major league baseball and the petition by his Dodger teammates saying they would not play ball if he were on the team. The personalities and escapades of Leo Durocher,Casey Stengel, Larry MacPhail,Branch Rickey and Walter O'Malley receive close scrutiny from Kahn, as do certain pivotal moments on the field for various memorable games and seasons,like Bill Bevens' near masterpiece in 1947,Don Larsen's perfect game in 1956,the seventh game of the '55 Series. I can't recommend this book enough.The only criticism i would have is i didn't want it to end. Available through Amazon as a physical book or an e-book. Amazon provides a sample on it's site which is downloadable to a pc or e book reader as well.