Legends from the Booth - modern player names update

OTBjoel

File Name: Legends from the Booth - modern player names update

File Submitter: OTBjoel

File Submitted: 29 Mar 2010

File Updated: 31 Mar 2010

File Category: Audio

Version: 1.0

Included in this file is the Vin Scully players names for the players active in 2004-2005 when MLB '05 came out with Vin Scully. This mod will cover about 90% of the players that came with the original MVP05.

I've also made great strides with the classic players names so you will have a ton of them in here.

Special thanks to AlexTony for his hardwork with the Vin Scully names and Eddieel for his work with Mel Allen.

Note on full classic names: Full players names for modern players are announced by Vin Scully. For classics, Vin Scully tries to say most of the pitchers full names regardless of whether they are modern or classic. Mel Allen says most of the full batter players names for the classic players although Vin says many as well. Classic full player (batter) names are split about 50/50. Vin says more Dodger players and Mel says more Yankee players. As mentioned before, Vin says most of the pitcher full names. Most last names are announced by Vin, classic last names by Mel only if the Mel last name sounded way better than a created Vin Scully last name.

Installation of this mod:

pnamehdr.big --> copy to \program files\ea sports\mvp baseball 2005\data\audio\spch_pbp\

pnamedat.big --> copy to \program files\ea sports\mvp baseball 2005\data\audio\cd\spch_pbp\

pbpdat.big --> copy to \program files\ea sports\mvp baseball 2005\data\audio\cd\spch_pbp\

bdcstdat.big --> copy to \program files\ea sports\mvp baseball 2005\data\audio\cd\bdcst_mx\

As a bonus, I am including my special "Oldtime" between innings audio (bdcstdat) in this mod. It just adds a nifty classic feel to the game as well as Ernie Harwell calling the "Voice of the Turtle" in the intro background before the national anthem.

I recommend using the following volume settings:

Broadcast Announcer = 4

Music = 5

Crowd = 3

Whenever, I make an update like this, I will also include the latest pbpdat file of wherever I happen to be in the project. This will not have a version number or anything but the more "Legends" calls are replaced, the more exciting this mod gets. At this point, the play by play is at about 30% completion. The Krukow replacements are complete and the Kuiper replacements are at 2200/15930.

Click here to download this file

Joel - This version of the mod is outstanding! :good: I downloaded it this morning and have been playing around with it in TC1927 and TC10.

I have to say that I like it MUCH better than the previous version. I think it was a smart decision to put the Duane Kuiper audio back in so that there are no gaps of silence when Scully, Allen or Harwell are not speaking. This is the one thing that prevented me from using the previous version of the mod.

I tested out a number of teams ranging from the 1927 Yankees to the 2006 Tigers, and was very pleased with the audio. The color commentary and home run calls by the classic announcers is very nice.

I will definitely use this mod for TC10 and can see it eventually being included in a TC11 release once you have a finished product. This will also fit in very nicely with the TC46, TC51, TC56 and *61 mods.

Keep up the great work!

• 2 weeks later...

Happy, happy, happy.

However, as an avid player of MVP 1994, I do have a question. There are several players that have pre-existing player id's in MVP 2005 that had retired by the time the game was released. I'm reasonably certain they would have PBP names for various Total Classics mods, and I know that the PBP slots for their 2005 id's are blank, 'cos they don't get announced when they come up.

I know I can change their player id's with MVPEdit to get them into the PBP, but then I'd lose their PA announcements and have to export and re-import their portraits. Is it possible to modify the PBP header to point to the name file that already exists for Total Classics?

The players include some superstars (Ripken, Canseco, McGwire) and a lot more mid-level guys (Devon White, Scott Brosius, Stan Javier, Juan Guzman, Todd Stottlemeyer). Any consideration you could give this would be much appreciated.

Happy, happy, happy.

However, as an avid player of MVP 1994, I do have a question. There are several players that have pre-existing player id's in MVP 2005 that had retired by the time the game was released. I'm reasonably certain they would have PBP names for various Total Classics mods, and I know that the PBP slots for their 2005 id's are blank, 'cos they don't get announced when they come up.

I know I can change their player id's with MVPEdit to get them into the PBP, but then I'd lose their PA announcements and have to export and re-import their portraits. Is it possible to modify the PBP header to point to the name file that already exists for Total Classics?

The players include some superstars (Ripken, Canseco, McGwire) and a lot more mid-level guys (Devon White, Scott Brosius, Stan Javier, Juan Guzman, Todd Stottlemeyer). Any consideration you could give this would be much appreciated.

David,

Have you already tried playing any games with those players you mentioned? When I did the mod, I duplicated the pname.dat for both Total Classics and the original MVP so that it would work either way. AlexTony has several players in the PBP more than once. Please e-mail the player-ids in question, so I can check it out. Please give me their MVP id's and their Total Classics id's.

Joel - Hory created MVP1994 separate from any work that was done on the other TC single season mods. There is every possibility that his portrait / audio ID assignments are completely different than those that we used for TC10, and the single season mods that stecropper, AlexTony and I worked on.

Joel - Hory created MVP1994 separate from any work that was done on the other TC single season mods. There is every possibility that his portrait / audio ID assignments are completely different than those that we used for TC10, and the single season mods that stecropper, AlexTony and I worked on.

I definitely would not expect them to correspond exactly, Jim - that's pretty much impossible - theoretically, you only have 9999 player id's to work with, and I think there's some doubt that it would function at all if you filled every single slot. If Mark Eichorn, in MVP 94, gets announced as "Shawn Barker", well, neither were in the original game, so them's the breaks. I'm fully prepared to live with that.

What I'm referring to is players who were already extant in MVP 2005, but for whom new player id's were created for the TC series, anyway. I'll forward you a list, Joel.

Here's a quickie list (attached)-

I used the TC6 list since it was the only one I had immediately at hand. I realize there have been many changes since then, but there are no scrubs or mirginal guys here. I'm sure they're all still in there. If we could just get some of these players called under their original player id's, I'd be eternally grateful.

post-118-127160316221_thumb.jpg

Here's a quickie list (attached)-

I used the TC6 list since it was the only one I had immediately at hand. I realize there have been many changes since then, but there are no scrubs or mirginal guys here. I'm sure they're all still in there. If we could just get some of these players called under their original player id's, I'd be eternally grateful.

David,

Can you e-mail me that spreadsheet? I don't see the attachment. Are these their player-id's from MVP04 as well? I don't seem to have a record of these id's in any of my own records but that doesn't mean anything.

It is a little disturbing to me that all the mods are a little different. I got on this forum a little late so I really shouldn't criticize but someday, maybe we can come up with a standard list with no duplicates and that represents as many players as possible. This means that players are indexed only once and you would pretty much be stuck with just one picture of that guy. At least the audio would be standardized. You could always switch the picture for different mods. However, that is a project for another day and who knows if we're still playing MVP at that point. It seems more and more people are falling off each day. This mod would have been hot four years ago but f.... it, I'm gonna finish it one way or another because I know I'll be using it.

If any of you want to get a monthly update of where I am in this project, I can put you on a mailing list that gets the latest file from my FTP site. Just message me with your e-mail and I'll add you to the list.

The file changes daily and month-to-month could have major progress made. At this point, the project is about 30% done, I am at about #4300 in the Kuiper stuff but I'm really starting to get some momentum and I've decided to start skipping around to get the sound bites I can tell are the most common in the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Joel, what is the classic pbp that has EHarwell doing most of the color with Kuiper as pbp. When I DL the file that you indicated had this there was very little Harwell as color man. Maybe I DL the wrong file but it is listed as

LegendsBoothMVP1.rar (119.5 MB bytes) but I am not hearing the color. Thanks

Archived