Trivia

Yankee4Life

Any trivia you want to share? Put it here!

I'll start one to get things going!

Question: Who was the first African-American player to play with a major league team?

Answer:

Most people believe that Jackie Robinson was the first player to appear on the roster of a major league team. While Robinson was the player who broke the major leagues' color barrier in 1947, a few African-American players had played on major league teams during the late 1800's before black players were banned from participation.

Moses Fleetwood Walker became the first Negro major-leaguer in 1884 as a catcher with the Toledo club in the American Association, one of the two major leagues at that time. Later that year his younger brother, Weldy Walker, also played briefly with the Toledo club.

Walker:

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One more from the Negro Leagues:

Question: Were there any white players in the Negro Leagues?

Answer:

While Jackie Robinson was in his first season in integrated baseball with the Montreal Royals (the Brooklyn Dodgers' farm club in the International League), the Cleveland Buckeyes signed the first white player ever to play in the Negro Leagues. The Buckeyes' signee was Eddie Klepp, a young, white pitcher.

Ironically, during his brief stay with the Buckeyes (he was released after the 1946 season) Klepp was victimized by the same Jim Crow laws in the South that had barred black players from playing on white teams. In some Southern cities like Birmingham the law prohibited black and white players from playing together on public athletic fields. The law was applied during the Buckeye's visit to play the Birmingham Black Barons, and Klepp was barred from the taking the field.

Question:

Why are easy fly balls hit to outfielders called "a can of corn?"

Answer: The phrase, first used in 1896, makes reference to a long-ago practice where a grocer would use a stick to tip a can of vegetables off a high shelf, then catch it in his hands or outstretched apron. Another possible source: Such a pop fly is as easy to capture as "corn from a can."

This one's about Satchel Paige.

Question:

For what team did Satchel Paige play for in his last major league entire season?

a. Cleveland Indians

b. St Louis Browns

c. Philadelphia A's

d. Detroit Tigers

Answer:

B. Not only was 1953 the last year in the Majors for Paige, it was also the swan song for the Brownies who became the Baltimore Orioles in 1954. Paige was invited back to the Major Leagues a few times but only as an honorary team member. He did start one game in 1965 with the Kansas City Athletics. He was 59 years old at the time.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay

Question: Counting players that will most likely be playing for the team this year, what team has had the most 500 hitters play for them at ANY point in there career.

Answer: Baltimore Orioles (Eddie Murray, Rafael Palmeiro, Frank Robinson, Sammy Sosa, Reggie Jackson in 1976)

Trick question: What player batted behind both the No.1 all time HR hitter and the No. 2 all time HR hitter.

Answer: Davey Johnson, who batted behind No. 2 Hank Aaron while he played for the Braves, and batted behind No. 1 Sadaharu Oh while he was in the Japanese Leagues.

Trivia: What was the name of the shortest player in major league history?

Bonus: Who was the shortest player to play a game last year?

I almost said Earl Boykins but then I realized, That is basketball!

I got a riddle for you guys and ill only post the answer if i see a few have attempted the question.

"They say 1932 is the year legends were born."

what happened in 1932?

rice krispies????? got me stumped on that one.

Archived