Sigs

LetsGoOakland

Wrigley, for the future, A) always save in .psd (.xcf if you're using gimp), and B) change the text in the future, you've overused it, it was never great to begin with, it's blurry, small, hard to read - try the same approach but with another simple font like arial. Or, go to dafont.com and browse for a good designer font. Grunge fonts, for example, work well if you know how to use them.

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrigley, for the future, A) always save in .psd (.xcf if you're using gimp), and B) change the text in the future, you've overused it, it was never great to begin with, it's blurry, small, hard to read - try the same approach but with another simple font like arial. Or, go to dafont.com and browse for a good designer font. Grunge fonts, for example, work well if you know how to use them.
i know that i need to change the font.. and the reason i use png is because the quality is higher than psd. and actually that is the first time ive used that pixel font. but yes that is why i said i will go font hunting so dont expect another for about a week

OK, you have to save the file in both PSD AND JPG/PNG - PSD keeps the layers if you ever want to open up the file again in photoshop/gimp, and JPG/PNG/GIF are all flat image files. You have to save it in both, upload the JPG/PNG/GIF to the web, keep the PSD if you want to change anything. I don't know where you heard the PNG is better quality than the PSD, they're two different file formats for two different uses. And, to dispel a common misconception, JPG is NOT better than PNG unless you're using transparencies. JPG, though "technically" not as high quality as PNG, shows no real difference in image appearance and takes much less space. To demonstrate:

russelmartinsig-2.png

russelmartinsig-1.jpg

The top one is .png, bottom, .jpg. Do you notice any real difference? Not really, except the bottom one, the .jpg is 43 KB, while the top one is 82. Twice as big a file size, no real visible image quality difference. So unless you have a transparency, something clear, in your image, use a .jpg.

to make things simple.

PSD is the best, but cannot be hosted. It is the original file. It contains all the layers.

PNG is the best that can be hosted, it is a copy of the original all into one layer.

JPG is the middle class of images that can be hosted using html. It is a lower quality (compressed) version of the original. No layers.

GIF is the worst quality, but most adaptable one. GIF's can be hosted with HTML. There are only 256 colours allowed, and compression is very high. Only one layer. HOWEVER, GIF's support transparency and animation.