does anybody collect baseball cards

bloggins

I stopped collecting cards once I hit 16, driving was much more fun than spending every cent I had on worthless cardboard. I tried to collect every Jordan card I could, for a while I did. Until they started putting 15 Jordan cards in every set and they were all worth at least $10. Ridiculous, it's CARDBOARD, paper thin CARDBOARD. That's how I used to learn about players, you know before the internet. Now the cards are uninformative, expensive and no longer fun.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Collected cards since I was a kid in the 50s.

My Dad saved some of my cards for me when I was in the Marines and went to Viet Nam. He gave them back to me many years later and so I still have some of my old cards from the late '60s.

But mostly started collecting again when my sons were born. So I have like 30 or so complete sets from the late '70s through the late '80s. Many unopened Topps; Score; Donruss and the like.

Also have several complete sets of NBA, Footbal & Hockey cards from the '80s as well.

My most notible are rookie cards of Ozzie Smith, George Brett, Dave Winfield and the like. Plus several Michael Jordan rookie cards to boot.

My sons - even tho in their early to mid 20s now still ocassionally pick up a few packs just for the fun of it and always review them with me still to this day.

I have all these stored in my closet which my wife doesn't appreciate too much.

Then I also have like 30-40 unopened Starting lineups of famous Baseball, Basketball and Football players.

Never have sold a single card and have only bought cards of Bob Didier a catcher with the Braves, Tigers & Red Sox from the late '60s early '70s that I played a lot of baseball with as a kid. In fact "Hiya", as we called him, and I used to trade baseball cards all the time. He and I were probably the biggest baseball card fans in our class in those young days of our lives. Hiya actually had more cards than I did back then.

His Dad was our High School coach and is Mel Didier former Chief Scout of the Dodgers and actually was Player Personnel Director of the Diamondbacks when they first entered the league. So he basically built the D'Backs and I think he did a superb job being they were very competitive and made it to the Series so quickly. Hiya's Dad was a Scout for the Milwaukee Braves when I use to visit them in those days.

Yea I stopped collecting after 2001 because they totally changed the game. 13 for an on base when he would have had a 10 before is insane. Do you have any good cards.

I had some good cards but I sold them a while back. I had just about every holo that you can imagine from the 2000 or 2001 set??? Idk, I had every holo from the year before they changed everything.

I have about a million cards, it was a horrible obsession for a few years, but I stopped back in about 1994.

It was nearly a sickness, I am glad I stopped. And I did so because there were so many subsets and this damn grading system ruined collecting.

I almost started again last year when I bought a box of 1986 Topps and 1987 Topps.

Best cards are Barry's Rookie from 1986 and my Magic Johnson/Larry Bird Rookie...

I also have about 250 Orel Hershiser Cards....

The bottom of my closet is full of baseball cards. My friends and I used to trade all the time when we were little. I have like 10 albums and like 5 boxes filled with cards. The most expensive card that I have is this one from the early 1900s - it's worth a couple hundred dollars.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been collecting cards since 1984. I remember how people went crazy for Mark McGwire's 1985 Topps Olympic card and how there was this trick with Rack Packs and if you saw Orel Hershiser on the top, that you had a good chance of getting a Mcgwire in there. I drove people crazy at the local thrift shop then.

Nowadays, I buy a few packs here & there but it IS getting too expensive. I usually surf ebay for individual cards, and lucked out picking up a 52 topps graded for less than 30 dollars.

I've been collecting since 1988, when I used to wake up in the morning to see if my dad left a pack of Donruss on the kitchen table for me. Used to be a quarter or 35 cents, closest it comes now is 99 cents for a pack of Topps Total, which is the only set that even pretends to try to go back to the old days, where sets had 800 cards.

As with most of you, I was turned off by the rampant greed of the industry and their manufacturing rarity instead of letting it happen naturally. I guess there's no money in letting it happen, I suppose. Now I look for older sets that I don't have quite yet, and any type of deal I can get on sets like Total, which aren't completely dominated by the inserts.

Like a few of you, I played MLB Showdown as well, and I have most of the cards from the 2000-2001 season, and what foils I don't have, I've proxied, so I have "team sets" for every team. Makes for a nice game every so often. I also have a ton of 2002 commons, but only because a collector I traded with was offloading them on the cheap, since he bought in the neighborhood of 4 boxes of the stuff. I also did a little collecting in 2003 when a friend of mine got into it, but after he sold his cards, I quit the scene entirely.

I've been collecting cards since 1984. I remember how people went crazy for Mark McGwire's 1985 Topps Olympic card and how there was this trick with Rack Packs and if you saw Orel Hershiser on the top, that you had a good chance of getting a Mcgwire in there. I drove people crazy at the local thrift shop then.

I know what you mean, card companies were lazy about coallating cards sometimes, I know the season Rice's rookie came out, it was usually found in a pack with Eddie Lee Ivery on top. Also, 1991 Pacific Series II football had Harry Colon on top of every pack with a Favre rookie card in it. It took me 10 packs into the box to realize that all the packs were coallated the same way, and the top card told me what was in the rest of them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been actively collecting cards since my dad's friend bought me two Mo Vaughn rookies when I was about 4. I have over 750 good cards in a binder now, with plenty more in shoeboxes. They don't sell baseball cards around where I live anymore, though. The Baseball Card Store went out of business (way to stinkin' expensive, anyways) and Ekerds were getting them stolen, so they stopped. Buh. I still will have plenty of good cards for future... use. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Back in the mid 80's I went off to college, the typical story where my mom cleans out my closet and decides to donate my collection to the neighbors yard sale. I remember her calling being excited about getting $20.00 for the BOX of cards I had. I'm sure all you guys know how that hurt!!

P.S. Yea my hidden stack of Playboys were gone too... Bad day :cry:

• 3 weeks later...

i have Roberto Clemente Baseball card (I CAN TRADE ROBERTO CLEMENTE CARD TO YOU Go_Bucks2000 FOR YOUR GRIFFEY CARD), Catfish hunter with the Yanks and the second best of my collection Don Mattingly rookie card in a individual pack.

I have 1 card that is a guy with a rare name, his name is Tyrus Ramond Cobb if somebody know who is him PM me please.

I started collecting in 1990, but have since stopped about 4 years ago or so. They just got too expensive and the whole direction the hobby took with regards to grading the cards for their worth is nonsense. Whatever happened to just mint/near mint/good/poor? :(

• 2 weeks later...

ive been collecting for four years and now have a giant collection ( totalling around 7,000). I agree prices are too high but im just addicted. My favorite card is a sammy sosa/moises alou/corey patterson card that has a piece of a game-used bat from sorey and moises and a piece of jersey from sammy. I'm also starting to become aware of whose cards i buy because of steroids and the rafael palmeiro scandal really pissed me off.

• 7 months later...

I've also got a huge collection (about 30,000) of cards. Most of them are from the early to mid 80s. I remember when McGwire Olympic rookie cards were selling for $1500+ on ebay and my wife tried to get me to sell at least one of mine (I have 3) and I told her that they'd only keep going up. Then Bonds went and broke the record 2 years later. Now those same cards are selling for $45 at the most. :(

i have almost 30 Nolan Ryan's cards

uhm like 20 of griffey jr, includin one from his rockie year

i met joey cora once, he signed me one card

juan rincon is related to my family, he always give me signed cards

i have the complete tops 1998 colecction and fleer's 1992 too

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v391/fab...utografos-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v391/fab...utografos-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v391/fab...utografos-3.jpg

i still think the best collection ever is the 89-90's tops

• 1 year later...

Im not sure how old this topic is, but Im new so Ill toss in my penny (sorry but Im too poor for 2 cents :D)

Anywho Ive been a collector since 1988 (still have the first card I ever pulled - the 1988 Topps matt nokes all star base card). Now I even collect ttm (through the mail autos). Its alot of money but its fun. Heres the link to the collection

http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh214/ttmautoman/

Im making an actual website for them again, but putting almost 2500+ autos on one site is a pain LOL.

• 5 months later...

I used to collect...basically nobody else in my "collectibles" class was into comics. So I started collecting packs of 1986 Topps (yes, I missed all those nice rookies from 85). Clemens was my favorite player. It was impossible to find Donruss or Fleer in my hometown, so I didn't end up with any of those unfortunately. In 87, the 7-11's had Fleer and Sportsflics, and some of the local shops had Donruss, so I have piles of those. Of course my family became costco members in 1988 right when Donruss was mass producing their crappy cards so I have about three boxes worth of nearly worthless 88 Donruss. Gregg Jeffries...woohoo!

There was a card show in town in 1990 and I bought half a box of 90 Leaf, all the money I had left. Boy do I wish I'd picked up more. $1/pack, hehe.

I would buy new packs/boxes up until about 1992 or so, but stopped once there started to be too many sets, too many chase cards, etc to bother with. (same kind of speculator boom almost killed the comics industry). After that, I would only buy vintage unopened wax packs and Roger Clemens cards. Once he signed with the Yankees, I stopped collecting Clemens though. (Even though I'm a Cardinal fan, I still hate the Yankees).

It was just this year that I finally completed my Clemens holy of holies and picked up an 84 Fleer Update RC. Ungraded, but it was only $100 and looks pretty good to me.

I did buy a few wax boxes in 2001-02. UD Authentics was a fun set. I managed to get a signed Griffey bat redemption. Pretty neat. Plus the cards looked like 89 Upper Deck...

This is a thread I've never seen before, nice bump! :wink:

I used to be a big time collector when I was younger. I would buy packs of the Topps and Upper Deck base sets from like 2002 and on. I took a break, but just got back into the hobby a couple weeks ago. I like to collect classic looking cards like Upper Deck's Goudey brand and Topps Allen & Ginter brand. Topps Turkey Red 2007 is another set I would suggest. These are all great if you're looking for a more classic feeling from baseball cards. Topps Heritage is a great product as well. (Almost missed that!)

Archived