Blue Jays Acquire Mike Napoli In Exchange For Vernon Wells

DylanBradbury

Pending a physical, the Toronto Blue Jays have acquired Catcher/First Baseman Mike Napoli from the Angels in exchange for CF Vernon Wells.*

In my opinion, this is great news! He hits lefties like nobody's business (Career .931 OPS vs. lefties), a situation the Blue Jays struggled with last year (.665 OPS). He can also be our permanent solution at first if Edwin "E5" Encarnacion struggles at his new position at first.

Full story here.

*EDIT: We traded Vernon Wells! The contract of doom is gone! :D :D

(I'm going to miss the guy though. There was no was he could have ever lived up to the contract, but he was a class-act and a clubhouse leader.)

Well, just to sum it up:

The Angels get: CF Vernon Wells

The Blue Jays get: C/1B Mike Napoli and OF Juan Rivera

Multiple media outlets here in Toronto state that the Blue Jays aren't sending any money to the Angels, which makes me even happier.

As I said before Vernon Wells was a great baseball player, the leader in the clubhouse, an ambassador for city, and a charitable man, but no one could live up to the amount of money he was earning, and he admitted it himself.

I wanted to find the exact quote but I couldn't so I'm paraphrasing, former Blue Jay, Orlando Hudson, said something along the lines of "When all is said and done, Vernon Wells will be one of the best Blue Jays there ever was."

Archived