File Name: Total Classics 1927 Integrated

File Submitter: redeck

File Submitted: 28 Jan 2011

File Updated: 30 Jan 2011

File Category: Total Conversion Mods

Version: 2.0

TC27 Negro League Integration Phase 1 by Redeck and DennisJames71

Thanks for checking out our work.

The aim of this Phase 1 mod is simply to integrate the 50 or so best Negro League players of the 1927 period (1923-1932ish) into the Major Leagues. The players selected all PROBABLY would have been in the Majors had all things been equal.

Installation: Installation can be done using the supplied installer or by manually copying the files to your game folder. Complete instructions, with screenshots, are included with the mod.

Special Features:

1)50+ Negro League Stars integrated across MLB. Players include portraits (most of them) and Audio by ernie harwell.

2)this download includes many of DennisJames new 1927 era uniforms and Stadiums, Including some as yet unreleased. It also includes Edtench's Reds 1927 Reds Unis as well. Very Nice

3)the player names for all of MLB in this mod are done by Ernie harwell, and Vin Scully through OTB Joels fabulous Legends of the Booth Mod.

4)also included here are more updated Stadiums from DennisJames some of these are yet unreleased as well.

Thanks to everyone who helped me learn some of these modding tricks, including but not limited to Jim825, OTBJoel, Homer, AlexTony, Emath, just to name a few. Anyone left out, it wasnt intentional, thank you too.

The ratings: Many of the players I am using are drawn from Homers Legends mod. The ratings he provides for those players a worthy, but i tried to make these players fit into 1927, so many many of them i changed a bit. If you dont agree with these ratings, feel free to change them for yourself.

There are also some other nice little surprises meant to make the mod more immersive to 1927....

This simple mod took a few months to pull together, and being my first, I made many mistakes along the way. I can't thank the aforementioned guys enough for there patience. And I cant thank EVERYONE enough for keeping MVP05 and MVPmods alive long enough for me to make a contribution.

It is named Phase 1 as the original Idea has spawned other ideas to stretch out from this. Phase 2 will include Negro teams en mass added to MLB of the TC27 era, and is not long from being finished.

The resources I used to determine the players rating:

Biographical Encyclopedia of the Negro Leagues

James Riley

Complete Book of Baseballs Negro Leagues

John Holloway

and Dozens of websites

Hope you all enjoy this mod, and yes I named it Phase 1 because there is MUCH more to come.

-------------------------------------------

*** VERSION HISTORY ***

v2.0

Includes uniforms and stadiums that were mistakenly left out of the first release.

v1.0

Initial release

Click here to download this file

Hope you enjoy it Y4L, It was tough to decide what NL players to put on the Yankees, the 27 Yanks having so few weaknesses. I actually skipped teh yankees in the first round of dolling out players and thought about giving them none, in the end, I put 3 NL players on the Yankees, a very good starting Pitcher in Phil Cockrell, I saw catcher as being the Yanks biggest weakness (only?) (not really) and so they were given a really good catcher by the name of Larry Brown. and then to shore up the bench, a top flight middle infielder named Emillio Navaro.

Why, what do we have here? I might decide to try this and see what it's all about. :popcorn: Lol! Seriously, thank you Jim for taking the time to package and post this and thanks redeck for all of your hard work. It was great working with you on this phase of the project. I hope everyone has a blast with this even if it's a 'curiosity' factor thing.

Hey dennis, have you got any screen shots to toss up here? I havent played the mod much since all my time goes to progressing Phase #2

Hey redeck,

Yeah I do actually but they are all on my computer at home. I only brought my net book with me to work today. If it helps, I can still shoot you some but it won't be until later today.

Thanks OTB, and thanks for all the help learning how to do the Players Audios. That was a big part of the work, learning how to get that done, I wanted to have teh new players names announced, and wasnt going to have just dead air.

Good job guys. Finishing a mod takes a lot of time, and I can appreciate the fact you guys finished this (simply because I know I never did finish mine). Congrats.

Even though I no longer play MVP, I know, coming with the names that are associated with this mod (from redeck, and Dennis, all the way down through the guys that helped along the way) that this will be a fantastic mod, and enjoyed by all who play it.

emath, you are the ultimate cheerleader you know. not only did you get me through one of my problems, on 2 seperate occasions i was going to drop the work i did and quit, but you talked me through staying with it and Im glad, thats why i put you in the creds in the readme. thanks again

and emath, when you posted that cool Josh Gibson photo back in November, I think...I don't know why the hell, but it inspired me to do a flood of these Classic uniforms and Negro League uniforms coming soon. This has been fun for me and redeck did all the real mind-numbing and hard work. I want to go home and play it some more now. :good:

The references used were from Holloways Complete Book of Baseballs Negro Leagues and Rileys Negro Leagues Encyclopedia. While these are not pure statistical collections, they are to my knowledge the best collection of information on these guys available.

As you know, statistics as baseball fans crave to use as measuring sticks are not really fully available for the negro leagues, as much of it was lost to history. However in Holoways book, he lists an Average for each player, each season. the AB and H he used to compile those Averages came only from league played games against League level talent, he says he left out the non league game stats as usually those games were played against inferior talent. He also states that for every number ihe printed in his book, he has a dated box score to back it up :-) Knowing what we know about Negro League record books, that is about all you can ask for.

As for the erst of the ratings, they were derived from comments in players biographies. If it is said a guy had excellent speed, I gave him a rating at least above 85, ect. ect. its all debatable as to which players were better than others, and how they would have done against major league players, but i believe i am presenting something close to what i could and should have been. At least that is my goal anyway.

Hope you are enjoying it half as much as I enjoy Legends of the Booth OTB.:friends:

You might also want to look up the last edtion of the MacMillan encyclopedia. I think 1996 was the last edition although the Negro Leagues register first showed up in the 1990 edition. It's not available online so you might want to borrow it at the local library. That along with your other two resources should give you all the statistical resources available. The statistical resources will always be complete but that along with the verbal recounts of those who watched them gives us a pretty good idea of how great these guys were.

I'm going to play some dream matchups tonight.

Great explanation redeck.

I need to get my hands on the book you used (The Holloway one, I have the other).

The other one listed stats, but they were obviously all games, and not just league games, as the stats were some of the legendary ones (and sometimes unbelievable) that you hear about.

What I chose to do was find references of some of their contemporary white players that they were compared to. As Gibson was always referred to as the black Babe Ruth, I found some of his stats, and then found a comparable season from Ruth's career and used those stats to create Gibson. Then I would make any changes that needed to be made based on the descriptions I had.

In some instances I found no comparisons. In those cases (Cool Papa Bell)I took the descriptions, and stats I had, and tried to find a player in MLB history that also fit those descriptions. In this case, Kenny Lofton was a decent match. Once again, I took Bell's stats, and found the closest season in Lofton's career, and used that to create Bell. Then I adjusted the stats/ratings to more accurately reflect the descriptions I had of Bell.

After all of that rambling, I guess my point is that I wish I had some more stats to base my players and comparisons off of, and the other book sounds like it has them.

My biggest problem was how much power to give some of these guys. In some cases the book gave home run totals. In some cases it described a player as hitting the ball harder, and farther than most other players, or in some cases it just said a guy was very powerful. In some cases those guys were playing during what was the dead ball era in white baseball. So, when they were described as sluggers, or powerful, I wondered if that was in the same way as "Home Run" Baker was a slugger, or if they actually had good home run power.

You might also want to look up the last edtion of the MacMillan encyclopedia. I think 1996 was the last edition although the Negro Leagues register first showed up in the 1990 edition. It's not available online so you might want to borrow it at the local library. That along with your other two resources should give you all the statistical resources available. The statistical resources will always be complete but that along with the verbal recounts of those who watched them gives us a pretty good idea of how great these guys were.

You can buy the 1996 version from Amazon.com for around $38 used. There are quite a few available for similar prices, from other sellers as well.

Most of what is available (MLB-wise) seems to be available in better/cheaper/easier resources. I guess the big question is, is the Negro league info worth $38? I am personally considering it, since I don't have a library card, and I am not even sure if the local library has it.

Here is the LINK to the used section for this book.

Another resource if you can get your hands on it, is the Negro Leagues APBA disk set that came out for Baseall for Windows in the 1990's. I haven't seen the same statistics in print anywhere except in this game. As Jim Riley was a leading contributor and consultant on the project, I'm pretty sure the statistics were legitimate. I have the set and am willing to share the statistics if you want to use them. The set is a Great Teams of the past set and I was going to use it myself in creating a Negro Leagues mod. Since the teams are from all over, it's not just from 1927 but you can still infer players abilitities/capabilities from it.

Another thing to consider is that most of Negro Leagues history is from an era in MLB when the statistics were very much inflated. The parks were small, some say the ball was juiced, and maybe the stats were skewed since half of the baseball talent was playing elsewhere. With that said, Josh Gibson probably would not hit 70 homeruns in an integrated league in a normal era. (1990's yeah probably). Cool Papa Bell I remember showed a lot of power looking at the statistics alone, but I'm sure a lot of those extra bases were "speed" power and inside the park homeruns.

Man, this stuff is fun to talk about.

Yes your right about the things you say referring to the believeability of some of the stats available OTB, this is why I wasnt greatly concerned with coming up with total hard concrete raitngs based on stats. The stats i could find, mostly avg. I used as a thumb nail. And from there i scaled it to what might seem appropriate. It was actually kind of fun. Lets see is this guy mor like Cobb, or moer like Willie Keeler? Yeah Id love to have something as solid as the system used to create the MLB guys, but it is my feeling these guys in teh Negro Leagues, they need some props in the MVP world. It needs to be shown made available for others to learn that these guys were as good as their White counterparts, or not, on any given night, and I felt it had been long enough waiting for stats that are never going to materialize. Its my feeling that what information that ever will be available, is available, and there is no secret forgotten box in someones attick to be discovered with a comprehensive collection of box scores that will also tell us how good a fielder Rap Dixon was.

I would love to get those APBA info from you OTB. Im sure they can be translated into something usefull.

Holloways book for $66 sounds like a bargain tome, It was running $80 when i search amazon, so I didnt buy it. I have it on loan from teh Library. I ordered it through the Libraries internet system, and when it arived, I was stunned. Not just for teh info in it (complete rosters for major NeL teams, 1900-the end!) but the book itself. It was brand new. I was possibly the first person to ever freaking open it. And it was labelled "Storage" a frakin Storage copy of this magnificent book, brand spanking new. I had it for 6 weeks and took it back to the Library, and asked to check it out again, as I had renewed once, they said sure no problem and listed me for anouther month, and told me as long as no one asks for a copy, I can renew as long as I like. So pretty much this is my copy of the book until someone else gets a notion to borrow it. And this is a Storage copy...........I may never have to give it back. And as teh cover price is only $27, dont think the thought that this book might become "lost" hasnt crossed my mind either LOL

My only regret in making this mod is that im still modding for the next Phase which will include whole teams enmass, with new Unis and their own stadiums. So i really dont have time to play the darn thing :-( you guys are so lucky LOL

Thanks for the File OTB, I think i can at the very least use these to update the "last season statistics" to make in game veiws cooler. I didnt touch those stats when i made the players so most of them are empty, the rest are whatever was in the slot i gave the player in editor.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived