2011 Rosters

SESbb30

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fellas,

I'd be willing to help if somone can get me an .mbe file from, say, October of '10, that I can update in MVPEdit. I was in the midst of playing the 2010 season in dynasty mode (actually, still am) and figured I'd whip through the season then make roster changes in the game in Spring Training and go right into 2011. Then I got busy and stopped playing. I'm still in early July of the season and had made a few of the trades and changes (i.e. Cody Ross and Burrell were on the Giants and had traded to get them Joe Martinez from Pittsburgh ... but Oswalt and Berkman were still Astros).

I thought I'd get through the season quick so I jotted down the free agency moves and Winter Meetings trades on a card. I'm now working on my seventh card. So, needless to say, my .mbe files are seriously out of date. My plan would be to first put guys where they belong, that'd take a couple of hours. Then I'd go through each team and their minors and make sure nobody has >25 and that all the lineups and rotations are complete. As I do that I can adjust some ratings and contracts. That'd be about a day.

Keep in mind that I wasn't planning on adding 2010 statistics, or adding very many new single-A players ... this roster is more for my needs in the game, but I thought folks would appreciate it as a good head start. Like I said, if someone gets a .mbe file from around the World Series i can get started and do most of the work during the month of March as teams make their Spring Training moves.

jaxen, I think since everyone is working off of hiheat's file, you'll wanna do the same. As far as moves..... this guy has a transaction thread that is pretty clean and to the point (occasional guys come in and make comments, but not much):

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/pro-baseball/454623-todays-transactions-2011-a.html

Attached is a work in progress (based off hiheats), though it does not include the work of anyone here....

2011.02.04 post-season moves.zip

jaxen, I think since everyone is working off of hiheat's file, you'll wanna do the same. As far as moves..... this guy has a transaction thread that is pretty clean and to the point (occasional guys come in and make comments, but not much):

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/pro-baseball/454623-todays-transactions-2011-a.html

Attached is a work in progress (based off hiheats), though it does not include the work of anyone here....

Thanks! I just peeked at your roster and this thing looks darn near road ready if the season started today! I'm curious why you hadn't shared this earlier. Looks like you have nearly all the moves that are on my 7 cards, you might be like a few days behind but that's closer than I'd ever be at this point. I'll just go through my cards and make sure you didn't miss any and try to get each roster as close to 25 as possible. Then I'll look at ratings and contracts thru March as team's do their day-to-day moves in spring. In fact, if you want to keep a running tally of yours and then around March 28 (last Monday of spring training) maybe we can compare notes as to where we are? I write for a small paper in Kissimmee, where the Astros train, so I'lll have their lowdown right in front of me, as well as the visiting teams that come through. I'll probably be at about 2 games a week and will snag full spring rosters. The Astros folks do a great job updating theirs daily.

Keep in mind that I wasn't planning on adding 2010 statistics, or adding very many new single-A players ... this roster is more for my needs in the game, but I thought folks would appreciate it as a good head start.

i appreciate you willingness to help, but this isnt for our personal use, this is for the community, we're doing everyone, all the way down to the last guy on the roster in A ball.

Jaxen you can do the NL West, as thats the only division left, or you could work something out with someone and split teams, just make sure you keep track of what teams you've done and all that good stuff.

could i get some updates from you guys what teams you have done ect. thanks.

Just finishing off a 3-day weekend with my wife, so I'll begin working on the NL Central in earnest again tomorrow. Brewers MLB team is fully done, the Reds MLB roster is done, but I have to edit their ratings and also re-direct Aroldis Chapman's portrait (for some reason its some white minor leaguer right now)

I still fully expect to be able to get the rosters and ratings done for all the NL Central teams, both MLB and minor leagues. If a player moves from the NL Central to another division after I have edited the ratings, I'll be sure to coordinate with my compatriots in order to same them the work of editing a player that I already finished.

~Chris

BTW ryan, is your MVPEdit still acting up, or would you like for me to keep the master file and have the members e-mail the team files to me?

I have to re-direct Aroldis Chapman's portrait (for some reason its some white minor leaguer right now)

I took a quick glance at this process, and I'm really not interested in doing this! If I have to, I have to, and I will. But if anyone knows of someone already editing/updating/fixing portraits, please speak up.

~Chris

I took a quick glance at this process, and I'm really not interested in doing this! If I have to, I have to, and I will. But if anyone knows of someone already editing/updating/fixing portraits, please speak up.

~Chris

EDIT: NVM, hes a white guy for me too lol.

iwe're doing everyone, all the way down to the last guy on the roster in A ball.

Hmmm...that's the first I'm hearing about that and I'm not real big on the minor league clubs, but moreso the 40 man rosters.... so I'm going to back away while it's the early going here so not to disrupt anything. But you guys are more than welcome to take the BSE I posted and use it for whatever you might find it useful for. Good luck.

OK Ryan, I see you're posting your name on more and more divisions, but I DO hope we can get some other people to lighten the load for you.

Anyway, you may as well put me down for the NL West for now. If someone steps up to do it, great. Otherwise, I feel pretty confident about my ability to rate and edit those teams.

~Chris

I've mainly kept up with the moves until a few days ago (not that much to catch up on). I attached the MBE file a few posts up. I was starting to tweak the NL East. Any player not found in the roster had a season ending injury last year and I deleted him, but exported his file to add later if needed (e.g., Chipper Jones).

Hi Guys. I just started the other day and I must admit I have a few questions/concerns.

Without all of us using a "baseline" for generating ratings, I think the roster set will be out of balance. That being said, I'm not sure how to go about rating players, and I am no ratings guru. I figured we would be using the 2010 stats and the calculators to accomplish this.

I find it tough to rate players properly when I'm not sure what EA's baseline is. I mean, how is it possible that Kevin Youkilis has a speed of 73 and Big Papi 65!! There is also no way I could accurately rate minor leaguers.

Also, I'm not sure to what extent we are editing these teams. I have been updating the following.

1. Roster Composition

2. Uniform #'s

3. Verifying Birthdays

4. Contracts

5. Adding 2010 Stats

6. Lineups and Rotations (projected)

IMO, for this to work we all need to be on the same page.

Finally (for now), how are those that have completed teams composing the minor league rosters seeing as though they are still VERY incomplete?

Very good questions Playball.

There is always major concern that the rosters will be out of wack, biased, or whatever. There are 4 ways which we keep from this happening: 1) we base much of our ratings on previous ratings, 2) we use calculators to help translate stats into ratings where we need the information, 3) we research and draw upon our own knowledge of the players, 4) we submit our rosters for playtesting by the community and edit them based upon the legitimacy of the feedback we receive.

Sure biases and other errors slip in, so its not a perfect system, but the end result will be well worth our efforts.

As to your other updates:

1. Roster Composition

2. Uniform #'s

3. Verifying Birthdays

4. Contracts

5. Adding 2010 Stats

6. Lineups and Rotations (projected)

Good for you! I have been doing the same, and it is good to hear that you are being thorough as well.

As to the minor leagues: We may actually have to work from the ground up on this one . . . If you check the minor league rosters (I posted the site a page or two back in this thread) most of the A/advanced A teams are already set. Granted, AA and AAA teams are far more incomplete, but I recommend doing as much as possible on the rosters and updating them as the end of Spring training gets closer. When we're about 1-2 weeks away from opening day, the minor league rosters should be formed enough that we can make educated guesses about how they'll wind up. For now, its imperative that we try and get all the ratings done for every player in MLB Spring training camps: every player that is attending those camps has at least a 10% chance of making the major leagues this year, regardless of where they are on opening day (low minor league team, free agent, traded to another team, etc.)

BTW, if you go to the "Rosters" area of any MLB team's website, there is a column on the right hand side listing all of the names currently active on their roster in Spring training (I think), and another area of their rosters includes a list of all the non-roster invitees in camp. These players too will have a meaningful home by opening day and should be rated by the modder taking charge of their current parent club.

A lot of work, but we're getting there, and we still have plenty of time.

~Chris

i appreciate you willingness to help, but this isnt for our personal use, this is for the community, we're doing everyone, all the way down to the last guy on the roster in A ball.

Here's why I'm hesitant to add many new Single-A players, or put in the '10 stats for players ... Last year, DylanBradbury's 2010 schedule only had the major-league schedule, so minor-league teams would not have played any games if you used it. While I hope this isn't taken as criticism of Dylan's hard work in putting that monster together, but part of the fun (for me) of playing MVP is managing all 4 rosters through seasons, through player's wearing down and working around their injuries, plus rewarding an excelling player up to the next level. So I used a 2009 roster to play the 2010 season, which didn't bother me because the only things different were some of the interleague opponents. I assumed that Dylan would do the same on the '11 schedule as the 2010 one.

And playing with the '09 schedule meant that stats were added to 2009 stats already put into the roster, which thus far (I'm still in July of the season) hasn't created any errors, I worry that the game adding stats to the 2009 number then finding 2010 numbers might create an unpredictable result.

Here's why I'm hesitant to add many new Single-A players, or put in the '10 stats for players ... Last year, DylanBradbury's 2010 schedule only had the major-league schedule, so minor-league teams would not have played any games if you used it. While I hope this isn't taken as criticism of Dylan's hard work in putting that monster together, but part of the fun (for me) of playing MVP is managing all 4 rosters through seasons, through player's wearing down and working around their injuries, plus rewarding an excelling player up to the next level. So I used a 2009 roster to play the 2010 season, which didn't bother me because the only things different were some of the interleague opponents. I assumed that Dylan would do the same on the '11 schedule as the 2010 one.

And playing with the '09 schedule meant that stats were added to 2009 stats already put into the roster, which thus far (I'm still in July of the season) hasn't created any errors, I worry that the game adding stats to the 2009 number then finding 2010 numbers might create an unpredictable result.

My 2010 schedule just updated the Major League Schedule, it didn't delete any of the previous minor league schedules. (I think the game's default minor league schedules were included.) Hope that clears things up...

Archived