2011 Rosters

SESbb30

i will update the facepack this year, so you only need to get the latest one. any time table on this mod? just be sure to keep up with any updates posted in totte's thread for portrait and cyberface ids.

Thanks Homer. We plan to release the Alpha hopefully a week from opening day. This will have the MLB teams only in place. From there, we'll update the MLB per feedback, and we'll hopefully have the minor league rosters accurate, but without the ratings updated around a week after opening day. The MLB teams will be fully up to date for an opening day release.

From there, I don't know what Ryan and Travis plan on doing, but I intend to go through totte's list one by one and check it against and update our roster accordingly. What with the newest class A players being introduced, I'm sure I'll have updates suggested for Totte's list when I'm finished. What a tedious process that we'll be . . . its a good thing I have a good tobacco pipe to smoke while I work on it.

~Chris

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how much do you guys use the ratings calculators for actually doing ratings? i use the hitting one alot more than i do the pitching one, i use the pitching one basically for stamina and partly for control. constructive criticism here, ive seen some ratings that frankly are way off, like cc sabathias slider, 65 movement 72 control, while he has 90 movement on his changeup and 96 control on it, im damn sure ive made alot of mistakes so dont feel like im angry or anything, im just sayin. i think we should make a list or something on things that need to be changed for MLB and talk about the things we think should be changed ect ect.

how much do you guys use the ratings calculators for actually doing ratings? i use the hitting one alot more than i do the pitching one, i use the pitching one basically for stamina and partly for control. constructive criticism here, ive seen some ratings that frankly are way off, like cc sabathias slider, 65 movement 72 control, while he has 90 movement on his changeup and 96 control on it, im damn sure ive made alot of mistakes so dont feel like im angry or anything, im just sayin. i think we should make a list or something on things that need to be changed for MLB and talk about the things we think should be changed ect ect.

Yea, I've been taking notes on things that will have to be changes during the alpha release, such as giving Edinson Volquez a 2-seamer.

As far as the ratings go, I usually use them to determine what a player's 2010 stats would have looked like, though not necessarily basing all my ratings on it. LaTroy Hawkins, for instance, posted a very uncharactaristic 8.44 ERA last year, while pitching injured. I've tried to measure a players 2010 ratings against his past performance, and adjusting the ratings accordingly. Usually, young players get the biggest changes.

Can't wait to finish and get to the Alpha testing . . .

~chris

Just some meaning behind the ratings in defence of my calculators:

• The change-up is the easiest pitch to earn ratings for, that's why Sabathia's ratings for that pitch are so high.
  • Out of qualifying pitchers, he ranked 41/93 in terms of control.
  • Out of qualifying pitchers, he ranked 35/93 in terms of pitch movement.

Also, are you using the most recent version of my pitch calculator? The ratings I calculated differ slightly:

post-27324-053615200 1300848951_thumb.pn

In the (unsuccessful) roster I made, I used Fangraphs pitching values as a rough evaluation of how good a pitcher's pitch is, and Fangraphs also displays how often a pitcher throws a certain pitch, if you guys didn't know already.

And of course probably ought to use FIP instead of evaluating by ERA ;)

In the (unsuccessful) roster I made, I used Fangraphs pitching values as a rough evaluation of how good a pitcher's pitch is, and Fangraphs also displays how often a pitcher throws a certain pitch, if you guys didn't know already.

And of course probably ought to use FIP instead of evaluating by ERA ;)

Totally agree with your assesment of Fangraphs . . . it is especially useful for pitchers who don't appear on 60ft6in. The only problem is that it requires a mental image of an x and Y chart in order to understand the vertical and lateral movement of pitches . . . can be a bit confusing:

http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfx.aspx?playerid=710&position=P

Secondly, yes, ERA is a somewhat inaccurate way of assessing a pitcher, but its what we have and what works with Dylan's calculators. And yes, I know that his calculators have limited usefulness, but think of it this way: his calculators are meant to translate stats into ratings, not to properly rate a player. There are many instances, for example, where the stats don't correctly assess a player . . . outfield assists, for instance, where a player with a strong arm will not get many assists simply because baserunners won't test his arm.

What his calculatars ARE good for is finding what a players stats tranlate into the ratings . . . . it helps to give a beter idea of what his ratings should be in order to achieve similar, lower, or greater stats, without entirely telling the story.

A good example is baserunning: Dylan's calculators are aweful for correctly assessing a player's year-by-year speed, but awesome for determining his potential: merely asses a players best speed year. This helps defeat the stat-killing effects of managers who do not tell their players to run.

~Chris

Totally agree with your assesment of Fangraphs . . . it is especially useful for pitchers who don't appear on 60ft6in. The only problem is that it requires a mental image of an x and Y chart in order to understand the vertical and lateral movement of pitches . . . can be a bit confusing:

http://www.fangraphs...=710&position=P

Secondly, yes, ERA is a somewhat inaccurate way of assessing a pitcher, but its what we have and what works with Dylan's calculators. And yes, I know that his calculators have limited usefulness, but think of it this way: his calculators are meant to translate stats into ratings, not to properly rate a player. There are many instances, for example, where the stats don't correctly assess a player . . . outfield assists, for instance, where a player with a strong arm will not get many assists simply because baserunners won't test his arm.

What his calculatars ARE good for is finding what a players stats tranlate into the ratings . . . . it helps to give a beter idea of what his ratings should be in order to achieve similar, lower, or greater stats, without entirely telling the story.

A good example is baserunning: Dylan's calculators are aweful for correctly assessing a player's year-by-year speed, but awesome for determining his potential: merely asses a players best speed year. This helps defeat the stat-killing effects of managers who do not tell their players to run.

~Chris

C'mon guys, I'm right here. I'm getting tired of being criticized without me defending my work.

... The speed formula has the highest correlation besides contact and power. (They're both around 97%) Something like an 89% correlation. If you don't know what correlation, think of it as how strong the relationship is between the input stats and the output stats. Another way to think of it is that I've cracked (reverse engineered) 89% of EA's formula.

... ERA doesn't have a large weight in any of the formulas for a pitcher.

...The 1998 mod's rosters were entirely based on my calculator's ratings.

... When emath was still creating an all-time mod for MVP, he was using my calculators. He switched over to The Show, but (I believe) he's still using my calculators.

... Lastly my calculators are meant to "rate a player."

... There are other ways to calculate ratings for rosters, bedsides my calculators. MVPedit has built in calculations, you just have to change the rename the latest lahman DB to lahman53. (Or the version MVPedit accepts. I think it's 53.) Krawhitham has a spreadsheet to deal with calculations, and by searching you could probably find pages on how others calculate ratings.

I understand constructive criticism, but this isn't it.

*sigh*

I'm sorry Dylan, but I think you misunderstand me. I am not meaning to criticize your calculators, but share with others my humble opinion on how they might best be used. If I haven't said it already, let me say it now: your calculators are the currently the most up-to-date and most valuable tool for translating stats into ratings, and I don't think that I would be able to update roster ratings without them.

Secondly, please don't get upset if me or anyone else does not follow your calculators' reccomendations to a "T," after all, we all have our own perspectives on what a player is capable of doing with respect to factors which lie outside of the statistics. I may disagree with you about their proper use, but this is only a matter of opinion, and not direct criticism.

Finally, if you take nothing away from what I've already said about your calculators, let me just say that they are indispensable. Period.

~Chris

*sigh*

I'm sorry Dylan, but I think you misunderstand me. I am not meaning to criticize your calculators, but share with others my humble opinion on how they might best be used. If I haven't said it already, let me say it now: your calculators are the currently the most up-to-date and most valuable tool for translating stats into ratings, and I don't think that I would be able to update roster ratings without them.

Secondly, please don't get upset if me or anyone else does not follow your calculators' reccomendations to a "T," after all, we all have our own perspectives on what a player is capable of doing with respect to factors which lie outside of the statistics. I may disagree with you about their proper use, but this is only a matter of opinion, and not direct criticism.

Finally, if you take nothing away from what I've already said about your calculators, let me just say that they are indispensable. Period.

~Chris

I completely understand not using my calculators "to a T," there have been instances that I've seen where I've had to adjust here or there.

But saying "Dylan's calculators are aweful [sic] for correctly assessing a player's year-by-year speed," when it's basically the formula EA uses.

You may not like the results, but they're not awful. A fast player gets a high rating and slow player gets a slow rating.

Think of the role of the calculators like this: A player will earn these stats, with the ratings that are calculated.

If my assessments are correct, that means that we're almost done:

done: NL (all divisions), AL East, AL West, Twins,

in progress: Tigers (Travis), White Sox (Chris), Royals (Ryan).

untouched: Indians

I'll finish the White Sox soon, and if the Indians are still untouched by that time, I'll start the Indians. I have a bunch of free time today, so perhaps we can finish all the team ratings later today? That would be nice, as it would allow us to begin Alpha testing nearly a full week before opening day.

~Chris

theres a chance i could finish the royals today, or in the morning tomorrow. oh and when i try to playtest with the teams that are done it crashes every time, no matter what teams i use, or what stadium its at, ect. ive tried every combination and it still crashes, i put the old data i had back in and it works fine then. as far as the crashing with our rosters, im completely lost.

hmm. I personally have not had a problem with the playtest rosters. When does the crashing occur? When you go to look at lineups? In game?

I had the same problem when simply used HiHeats rosters as the base . . . some weird glitch. When I copy pasted all of the relevant teams onto a more stable rosters like ar_key's TL the problem vanished.

Chris

I just finished and uploaded the White Sox. I'll start and perhaps finish the Indians later today.

BTW, I contacted both HiHeat and ar_key to get permission to take from their work, and I/we are awaiting their reply. Despite the amount of work that we have put into this, I don't think we should publicly publish the rosters if one or both of them refuse their permission. Although we intend to give these guys credit, it is up to them after all whether they want to allow their work to be used by someone else.

Sure, its late in the game to be talking about this, but I'm sure these excellent and hard-working fellows will allow us the privilege.

~Chris

who's using AR keys stuff? i know im not, and hiheat said in his downloads for other roster makers to use his rosters as a template.

Aha . . . well then I stand corrected. As soon as the last few teams are finished, I'll be able to immediately publish the Alpha playtest roster.

Thanks for pointing this out Ryan . . . I totally missed it.

~Chris

Archived