My Initial Impressions

Norag

My initial impressions are rather good. An earlier person said it's a polished version of 2K10, and with that I would agree. I've only played a few games of it, but here's what I found in the pro and con columns on my initial foray:

Pro:

1. Animations are more fluid and complete; batters finish their routines instead of teleporting back into batter stance

2. First game, first error. Josh Hamilton mishandled a fly ball allowing my beloved Reds to score. Looked realistic and believable.

3. Second game, first injury. Drew Stubbs got hit with a pitch in the shoulder and had to come out. They called it one to two weeks. In 2K10, shortest injury I saw before I turned them off was 45 days (and my pitching staff had three guys 60+ from batted balls up the middle). However, I accidentally had auto injury manager on so I didn't get to see how the DL thing worked (whether you could put them on or not; computer put him on the 15 day). The minor caveat is they called it a torn shoulder ligament!?! One to two weeks, really? I'll post if he comes back on schedule or if they just called it that and set it at one to two weeks. Minor grumble to the injury, Steve Philips thought it was a bad move to sub for him; the announcers should be aware of the injury.

4. Enjoying the new fielding system, seems more fluid than the old.

5. Every throw to first base when going towards second by the second baseman no longer results in the jump throw

6. Stealing is now possible at default settings.

7. Pitches are no longer "on a dime", but still don't deviate as much as I'd like them to.

8. Ump Strikezones seem to vary; the borderline pitches might be called ball or strike. My experience in 2K10 was if it was even close, it's a strike.

9. Much larger variety of foul balls; the base coaches get out of the way now.

10. The player of the game award seems reasonable now.

11. Baserunners tag or go halfway as appropriate; no longer seem to get "lost" on wild pitches (in 2K10 They vacillated between going and staying and almost always got thrown out unless you made the decision quickly).

Cons:

1. If you played last year's game, don't bother trying Rookie or Pro. In Rookie I was up 16 - 0 by the 3rd inning, Pro I won 9 - 1 (Both against the Rangers).

2. Announcers monologues are little changed from last year; they botch players names (on the Reds they pronounce Aroldis and Ondrusek wrong).

3. AI still paths horribly to balls off the wall, commonly playing the carom yet still running into the wall allowing an extra base.

4. If it's in the gap, it'll go for three even with Roland or Hernandez.

5. Lots of wild pitches on 12 - 6 Curves still, maybe it's my controller but they seem to miss wildly way more than they hit.

6. Batters dawdle out of the box if it looks like a homer or "routine" fly ball to end the inning.

I'm sure this list will grow both ways, but I'm pretty happy with it at first blush and know the mod community will make it great. Hopefully, the online issues and such are ironed out; that would make it a success in my book.

I like it. Not perfect but very good and yes with all the modders out there is will just get better. NOW...I played two games. The first...Phils vs Twins crashed after three innings. The second Phils vs Rays all nine were played. I won 4-2. Utley 2 homers. Of course we are all just getting started and I have no idea why it crashed but well see. I hope it doesnt have to do with Anti Virus running.

I'm enjoying it so far, no stuttering for me, graphics look good, love the camera angles. I think this is a solid effort so far. Bought it yesterday before work, so I haven't been able to really get into the nitty, gritty, but so far, no complaints.

Are the system requirements for 2k11 the same as 2k9? I d/l 2k9 demo and my computer can run that fairly well so would 2k11 run ok? My biggest drawback i think is my cpu as it's dual core 2ghz recommended is 3ghz. Anything has to be better than what it's like on PS3 at least the demo anyways, yuk.

My initial impressions are rather good. An earlier person said it's a polished version of 2K10, and with that I would agree. I've only played a few games of it, but here's what I found in the pro and con columns on my initial foray:

Pro:

1. Animations are more fluid and complete; batters finish their routines instead of teleporting back into batter stance

2. First game, first error. Josh Hamilton mishandled a fly ball allowing my beloved Reds to score. Looked realistic and believable.

3. Second game, first injury. Drew Stubbs got hit with a pitch in the shoulder and had to come out. They called it one to two weeks. In 2K10, shortest injury I saw before I turned them off was 45 days (and my pitching staff had three guys 60+ from batted balls up the middle). However, I accidentally had auto injury manager on so I didn't get to see how the DL thing worked (whether you could put them on or not; computer put him on the 15 day). The minor caveat is they called it a torn shoulder ligament!?! One to two weeks, really? I'll post if he comes back on schedule or if they just called it that and set it at one to two weeks. Minor grumble to the injury, Steve Philips thought it was a bad move to sub for him; the announcers should be aware of the injury.

4. Enjoying the new fielding system, seems more fluid than the old.

5. Every throw to first base when going towards second by the second baseman no longer results in the jump throw

6. Stealing is now possible at default settings.

7. Pitches are no longer "on a dime", but still don't deviate as much as I'd like them to.

8. Ump Strikezones seem to vary; the borderline pitches might be called ball or strike. My experience in 2K10 was if it was even close, it's a strike.

9. Much larger variety of foul balls; the base coaches get out of the way now.

10. The player of the game award seems reasonable now.

11. Baserunners tag or go halfway as appropriate; no longer seem to get "lost" on wild pitches (in 2K10 They vacillated between going and staying and almost always got thrown out unless you made the decision quickly).

Cons:

1. If you played last year's game, don't bother trying Rookie or Pro. In Rookie I was up 16 - 0 by the 3rd inning, Pro I won 9 - 1 (Both against the Rangers).

2. Announcers monologues are little changed from last year; they botch players names (on the Reds they pronounce Aroldis and Ondrusek wrong).

3. AI still paths horribly to balls off the wall, commonly playing the carom yet still running into the wall allowing an extra base.

4. If it's in the gap, it'll go for three even with Roland or Hernandez.

5. Lots of wild pitches on 12 - 6 Curves still, maybe it's my controller but they seem to miss wildly way more than they hit.

6. Batters dawdle out of the box if it looks like a homer or "routine" fly ball to end the inning.

I'm sure this list will grow both ways, but I'm pretty happy with it at first blush and know the mod community will make it great. Hopefully, the online issues and such are ironed out; that would make it a success in my book.

Thanks for this... PC version is sounding better and better. I'm gonna crack the seal on my game and try it. heeh

How do the menus look? Is it the same as last year (where you navigate with right analog) or is it the same as this year's console version?

Because for NBA 2K11, they replaced that stupid menu for consoles but not for pc, I was wondering if the same happend to MLB 2K11

Thanks

Might be seeing the injury bug cropping up again. Bronson Arroyo apparently strained his back in game three (just pitching) and will be out 4-6 weeks. I'll keep you guys posted and let you know if more and more injuries like this creep up in the franchise. Good thing is, there is an injury frequency slider so maybe I just need to tweek it from the default value of 50.

Might be seeing the injury bug cropping up again. Bronson Arroyo apparently strained his back in game three (just pitching) and will be out 4-6 weeks. I'll keep you guys posted and let you know if more and more injuries like this creep up in the franchise. Good thing is, there is an injury frequency slider so maybe I just need to tweek it from the default value of 50.

I'd say the injury rates are almost perfect at ~15~25, depending on preference.

My biggest gripe with this game is that you can create a team, but not play it in Franchise mode.

Archived