How Baseball Should Start Each Year

Yankee4Life

for the life of me, I dont know why the Northern Cities dont start the season on the road, in teh southern cities, at least 2 weeks, then everyone come north when its warmed a little
Redeck, 4-29-11 in this thread.

This is not a bad idea and I believe I made a post about this a few years back in the old Yankee fan thread forum we used to have here. I also went as far as to send a letter to the Commissioner's office in New York with my suggestion. Needless to say, I did not get a reply. I saved the copy of the letter and after I logged off tonight I went to look for it. Now that I found it, I will post it here to see what you all think of it.

Dear Mr Selig,

I have been a loyal baseball fan for many years now and each year when the season starts I see the difficulty that the cold weather east coast teams have sometimes in getting their games in, which causes problems later for the teams as they try to make up the games in the hotter summer months.

Here is my idea: for the first ten or twelve days of the season, schedule the games in the southern and western cities. The weather is always unpredictable in the east in April where cold rain and snow are always possible. I am sure you recall a few years back in Cleveland where the Indians-Mariners series was canceled due to a snowstorm. I feel you have a better chance in getting the games played in a warmer weather environment instead of in the east.

For almost two weeks when the season begins, schedule the games to be played in these cities in the American League, a 14 team league: Texas, Los Angeles, Oakland, Kansas City, Tampa Bay, Toronto and Seattle. The last three cities of course have a dome.

In the 16 team National League, schedule the games to be played in these cities: San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Arizona, Houston, Florida, Atlanta and Milwaukee. Milwaukee has an enclosed roof.

I believe if this is done you could make a serious dent in the rainouts that happen at the beginning of the season.

Thank you.

Again, I can't tell you what they thought because they never bothered to respond. When I read that the Yankees were opening this year on March 31st against Detroit, I said a little prayer for the game to get in. Sure they were able to get that game in but it easily could have been called due to rain, snow or cold. Have them open in warm weather. The players will appreciate it.

Yeah i think you didnt get a response because you didnt tittle it

Dear Mr. Dipshit, as i was beginning to think that that was teh commisioners name. :unsure:

Solid letter Y4L and makes lots of sense. Ive wondered why they didnt do something like that for years.

Archived