No Hitters

redeck

Should No Hitters be considered a "special" occasion if the pitcher throwing a no hitter walks SIX freaking batters? Edwin Jackson did as much last year as well. I mean come on, if a pitcher walks six batters the guy got his no hitter obviously because he was wild enough, alot of batters felt they didnt have to swing the bat to get on base.

I say hell with no hitters, I will get excited over only perfect games. should only be 3-4 this season lol

Considering that many guys don't make it past the 6th inning, let alone a complete game, I don't think there's anything wrong with walking whoever you have to in order to preserve a no-hitter. I'm sure he didn't want to walk any and now have to pitch from the stretch as well as worry about a guy like Pierre stealing. Considering the number of games in history compared to the number of no-hitters, however you get there, you get your due!

Was pointed out on the other thread that Ethier's game hitting streak may be more impressive with only 15 guys having gone 30 or more. Then again, you get to fail 3 or 4x each game as a batter and still accomplish this. One legit mistake as a pitcher and your no-hitter is gone.

a no-no is a no-no, sometimes its just pure luck but hey, whatever lol.

and this thread got me looking through the no hitters in baseball history and i remembered when the astros no hit the yankees with 6 diffrent pitchers in 2003, some notable names pitched for the astros, oswalt only pitched the first inning cant really remember why, but brad lidge threw two innings, dotel piched, and wagner pitched as well.

But what happens if it's a TIGERS pitcher that does it? Would you still refuse to recognize it? ;)

Ah the crux of the problem, but really its not a problem Jim, MLB doesnt recognize Tiger no hitters or perfect games anyway...............:unsure:

Considering that many guys don't make it past the 6th inning, let alone a complete game, I don't think there's anything wrong with walking whoever you have to in order to preserve a no-hitter. I'm sure he didn't want to walk any and now have to pitch from the stretch as well as worry about a guy like Pierre stealing. Considering the number of games in history compared to the number of no-hitters, however you get there, you get your due!

Was pointed out on the other thread that Ethier's game hitting streak may be more impressive with only 15 guys having gone 30 or more. Then again, you get to fail 3 or 4x each game as a batter and still accomplish this. One legit mistake as a pitcher and your no-hitter is gone.

I like your points Dafl

Ah the crux of the problem, but really its not a problem Jim, MLB doesnt recognize Tiger no hitters or perfect games anyway...............:unsure:

I still can't get over that. He should have been given that perfect game, especially after everyone involved knew the guy was out.

Bit off topic here, but in a big way it really isn't. I don't know if you remember this, but about a week or so after Gallaraga lost his perfect game, another incident happened where a call was reversed. It was an interleague game between the Royals and Astros and it was in the fourth or fifth inning. I believe it was the Royals who were trying to turn a double play and the call went against them. But wait!! The umpires got together and realized that the call was wrong and then they called it a double play. I have always wondered why the hell they reversed a call between two teams that no one gives a damn about but they couldn't reverse the call and get it right for Gallaraga?

I guess something like that floats because the other umpires had an opinion on the call and were willing to share it with the ump who blew the call. If the other umps at galaragas Perfect 28 out game, had gone to Jim Joyce at the time of the play and said, hey you missed that one, lets talk, and then they come out of the huddle and reverse that call...............now you have a circus about how the umps changed their minds without replay to give a pitcher a perfect game. Once Joyce blew that call, there was no unblowing it.

(i tell my wife this all the time as well)

I like the Verlander handled himself after the last out of his performance in Toronto. A simple little Yay, tried to just shake his cathers hand, but really he was saying to his team through his actions, "guys, were still in 3rd place, this isnt that important."

This guy is a real leader, Im glad hes on my team.

Archived