Findings On Contracts/budgets

DetroitStyle

Here are some of my findings on the relationships between contracts and budgets:

PART 1:

It seems as though the budget remains a fixed 1:1 ratio, that is if the numbers you gave are 100% accurate. Take a look:

83 101

--- = ---

103 125

If you cross multiply 103 and 101 and divide by 83 you get 125 which is close to your 124. So in a sense the budget remains a fixed ratio. If you were to lower the payroll the ratio should stay the same. Baseball doesn't have a salary cap, meaning teams can pay whatever they can or want. Therefore it's still somewhat realistic for the budget to remain the same.

Here's an example, if you take the current payroll and raise it to 120mil:

83 120

--- = ---

103 148

The budget for your team should be around 148 million. I haven't had a chance to fully test this yet but I'm betting that's the logic.

PART 2:

You may have noticed that player salaries are way off in terms of money. This is by design, not a fault, with the 2K team. The highest contract available is 26 mil thus making it impossible to sign A-rods contract or vernon wells. What I noticed is that the salaries are correct but are a ratio of their real life contract. Here comes the math again: Every in-game contract is .80% of the their real life contract. Try it out on anyone. A-rod for example is making 32 mil. Times that by .80 and you get 25.6 mil. The exact amount he is scheduled to make in year one. So if anyone wants to set correct contracts, DON'T use real life numbers. Multiply real life numbers by .80 and then adjust the in-game contract. I don't know why 2K has it like this but it must be a limitation of their engine. Either way, the contracts are all evenly scaled down so it's still realistic.

Second bit is lengths: Contract lengths seem way off. This is by design as well. This game doesn't have arbitration OR options. 2K has assumed that arbitration is an extension of the contract. Meaning a 1 year contract with 4 years arbitration is a 5 year contract in game. You'll notice this is also because 2K doesn't take into account service time, which means players with less than 6 years service time will not be free agents and have contracts extending until they get to that 6 years. This explains why Hosmer and Moustakas have 7 year contracts.

Also, any player wit an option is automatically assumed to be a free agent. If you have a 2 year deal with a club option, the game only reads that as a 2 year contract not a 3 year deal.

Some contract lengths DO need to be adjusted though. I saw a few with 6+ years of service time with 4 year contracts when they should only have 1 year contracts.

I hope this helps!

Archived