Totally 90's!

DetroitStyle

EDIT: So I've decided to do away with the whole "total conversion" mod, at least until the new redditor comes out so I can see what other changes will be made. But my mod isn't completely dead. I'll release a jersey pack that will contain home and away alternates for respective teams. It will overwrite the old school ones that come with 2K. So the cl1 and cl2 labeled unis. That way you can still appreciate some of the great (and just plain ugly) 1998 unis!

P.S. After spending a TON of time on the Red's unis I realized just how bad, IRL, they are. That red and grey stripe combo is atrocious and makes them look pink!

Here's a few I'm working on:

mlb2k112011072421550449.jpg

mlb2k112011072417162126.jpg

mlb2k112011072123580277.jpg

mlb2k112011071921531717.jpg

mlb2k112011072001195473.jpg

mlb2k112011072019384353.jpg

i had thought about doing something like this and i thought about all the work it would take to change all the names and of course portraits andwould take a long time to do.I had started and realized it would take a long time because u figure each team have 25 players.In order to do it, it would have to be a seperate install of the game.My idea was to take the greatest players of each team and so far its still only a thought lolol

i had thought about doing something like this and i thought about all the work it would take to change all the names and of course portraits andwould take a long time to do.I had started and realized it would take a long time because u figure each team have 25 players.In order to do it, it would have to be a seperate install of the game.My idea was to take the greatest players of each team and so far its still only a thought lolol

Oh, I felt the exact same way. Way back when for like n64 I used to make historic rosters and such. But yea it's way to big of a project for just myself and not a big community for this game. But I think my idea works, since it's like these teams never went through a uniform "update". Everything is the same just years past logos and uniforms. It's about half the project but will still be sweet.

I also thought about how unlike NBA 2K with redditor, which can select unis, courts, etc. for each team and be run through a roster file, this game will need to overwrite a bunch of files. But you just make 2 folders. 1 with the backup original stuff (no more than 50 files I'd guess) and then just swap em out. It's really easy.

i had thought about doing something like this and i thought about all the work it would take to change all the names and of course portraits andwould take a long time to do.I had started and realized it would take a long time because u figure each team have 25 players.In order to do it, it would have to be a seperate install of the game.

Welcome to my world. You just described a piece of what we do when we create the Total Classics mods for MVP..... ;)

ive noticed work done in mvp and u guys really have ur work cut out ,bad thing about 2k is we are very very limited .I had started and just doing 1 team i realized wow this would be time consuming and i thought the rosters were bad lolol.Then i thought that to do it right id need to change the portraits etc etc and not sure how good portraits would be available for people like cobb ,ruth etc etc and for 1 person it just would be very very time consuming,by the time im done 2k 50 would be out lololol

ive noticed work done in mvp and u guys really have ur work cut out ,bad thing about 2k is we are very very limited .I had started and just doing 1 team i realized wow this would be time consuming and i thought the rosters were bad lolol.Then i thought that to do it right id need to change the portraits etc etc and not sure how good portraits would be available for people like cobb ,ruth etc etc and for 1 person it just would be very very time consuming,by the time im done 2k 50 would be out lololol

Good images are available, if you look hard enough. The Total Classics 10 mod has teams as far back as the 1906 Cubs and portraits were found for those players. I will agree that it is very time consuming.

I also thought about how unlike NBA 2K with redditor, which can select unis, courts, etc. for each team and be run through a roster file, this game will need to overwrite a bunch of files. But you just make 2 folders. 1 with the backup original stuff (no more than 50 files I'd guess) and then just swap em out. It's really easy.

Creating Mods that DONT overwrite the NBA

Btw, i think, once a couple of good Total Conversions are released, the community will start gaining popularity. It's all about the tools: there weren't good tools for roster editing for NBA 2K9 - many guys played it, but no big mods. While NBA 2K10 has a great bunch of them. :popcorn:

So, as REDitor is about to be released, you can kick this hard road to popularity of the game among modders :clapping:

For example, you can start by creating logos and renaming the teams. Then make 3-4 full teams with unis and players. And someone else will like to help and make 1-2 teams more. So, it's like a snowball sampling, just the start point is needed.

*Some of my thoughts )) *

Creating Mods that DONT overwrite the NBA

Btw, i think, once a couple of good Total Conversions are released, the community will start gaining popularity. It's all about the tools: there weren't good tools for roster editing for NBA 2K9 - many guys played it, but no big mods. While NBA 2K10 has a great bunch of them. :popcorn:

So, as REDitor is about to be released, you can kick this hard road to popularity of the game among modders :clapping:

For example, you can start by creating logos and renaming the teams. Then make 3-4 full teams with unis and players. And someone else will like to help and make 1-2 teams more. So, it's like a snowball sampling, just the start point is needed.

*Some of my thoughts )) *

Vlad you read my mind! This is exactly what I'm looking for and will make things soo much easier in regards to modding. To be able to use reditor to change colors, names, stadium names, assign logos, and so on...to the extent of NBA 2K. I'm excited to see your new release and hopefully I'll be able to do all of this through a single roster and not have to overwrite any files.

Yeah, the only downside i currently see is the inability to enter custom names for arenas, as we can only choose from the list, which is stored as text data in roster.iff file. I don't know, why developers did this, but this's the fact. The same is about unis names, but it's not so critical.

On the other side, they left the ability to name teams, players, coaches and pitches as we wish (their names are stored inside .ros files).

So, there is the problem with the arenas... :pardon:

I don't know. If everything goes fine, IFF-files support is in plans for this fall. I have a good friend of mine, who started working on IFFs. You know, we make whether good or nothing. So, it won't look like MOD Tool and most likely we will be able to decode the format to correctly edit text data.

But that's only in plans. So, no "very custom" arenas as of now. But, anyway, you can name an arena "1903 Home" or "Houston", for example :rofl:

That's alright vlad. I mean it would be pointless to be able to name Safeco Field, the kingdome, when clearly it will still be safeco field. But thanks for checking it out. Can't wait for your release. I'm hoping you'll be able to edit team colors (different from uniform colors) which show up on overlays and roster management screens and portraits. Kinda like how the indians have a red to blue gradient, maybe be able to change it to green and orange or something like that.

Archived