Cutting Rosters To 25, A Question For Jim825 (Or Other Roster Builders)

DylanBradbury

Hey Jim825 (and/or other roster builders)

In the past when you've created rosters, how did you decide what pitchers and batters do and do not make the team? Do you rank by stats (e.g., games, plate appearances, innings) or is it another process entirely?

Hopefully this question makes sense, but if not, let me know and I'll rephrase it.

Thanks in advance.

Oh for historic rosters, maybe baseball-reference.com ? If you go to "teams", then click on a particular one, you can then choose the year to at least see who played. Example: http://www.baseball-.../CLE/1963.shtml

That's a good a idea, daflyboys.

What statistics would you go by? I'm thinking either plate appearances or games for batters and innings pitched or games for pitchers.

I think I've solved my problem.

I'm going to use plate appearances for batters.

The problem with pitchers is that relief pitchers pitch in more games but less innings than starting pitchers, making the two unsuitable for comparison.

The solution...

I standardized innings pitched, so I can compare SPs with RPs.

So for the 1963 Cleveland Indians, these pitchers would make the team:

Gary Bell

Jerry Walker

Mudcat Grant

Dick Donovan

Jack Kralick

Pedro Ramos

Ted Abernathy

Bob Allen

Early Wynn

Barry Latman

Sam McDowell

Ron Nischwitz

and these pitchers wouldn't:

Jim Perry

Gordon Seyfried

Tommy John

Jack Curtis

Thanks for your help, daflyboys. Much appreciated! :)

Sorry for not responding sooner. I was away with my wife for the weekend. For all my rosters, I use http://www.retrosheet.org because you can look at ANY team roster, all the way back to the 1800's.

My rosters consist of 15 position players and 10 pitchers and I select the players based upon games played or innings pitches. When you select a particular team, and then list them by position, retrosheet lists the starting players first and then orders the bench players by games played. Pitchers are listed by innings pitched.

If I see that a player has played less than 80 games with the team, I click on the player name, look at the year I am interested in and see if he played more games with another team. If he did, then I don't include him on the current team I am working on.

Let me know if this makes sense.

Sorry for not responding sooner. I was away with my wife for the weekend. For all my rosters, I use http://www.retrosheet.org because you can look at ANY team roster, all the way back to the 1800's.

My rosters consist of 15 position players and 10 pitchers and I select the players based upon games played or innings pitches. When you select a particular team, and then list them by position, retrosheet lists the starting players first and then orders the bench players by games played. Pitchers are listed by innings pitched.

If I see that a player has played less than 80 games with the team, I click on the player name, look at the year I am interested in and see if he played more games with another team. If he did, then I don't include him on the current team I am working on.

Let me know if this makes sense.

No apologies necessary. I'm pretty patient.

It does make sense and it's the exact information I'm looking for. Thanks for your help.

Archived